8 replies to this topic

#1 tctwhite

tctwhite

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

Today has been a week in my gluten-free life. Ive had more energy this week than I have in years. And the kids are back in school so Ive been getting up early. Yesterday morning I washed AND waxed my truck :blink: and then in the evening I bathed my dog. Which I paid for last night because I was sore, but it was a good kind of sore. Not the debilitating aches. Its obvious that my body is going to have to get used to all this moving around again. I was talking to DH last night and I told him that I feel better, and that I wasn't sure if it was all in my head or if I really am improving. I want to believe that its true progress and its not all in my head. I guess Ive been told "its all in your head" one too many times.

My headaches seem to be lessening in intensity, but not frequency. One thing that is bothering me though. I am absolutely ravenous. I was that way before but this has just taken it over the top. Could that be a gluten withdrawal? I don't feel the absolute need to go raid the bread box per se but I feel as though Im starving. That is not a good feeling, and the scale is starting to creep up, which really bothers me since I constantly struggle with weight. Just curious as to if others have experienced this.
Diagnosed with: Fibromyalgia, IBS, Chronic Fatigue, Chronic Gastritis, Asthma, Depression, Anxiety, severe allergies, and Im sure Im leaving out something else.
Biopsy 7/2012 was a bust as the Dr didn't test for Celiac.
Gluten Free 8/7/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

Today has been a week in my gluten-free life. Ive had more energy this week than I have in years. And the kids are back in school so Ive been getting up early. Yesterday morning I washed AND waxed my truck :blink: and then in the evening I bathed my dog. Which I paid for last night because I was sore, but it was a good kind of sore. Not the debilitating aches. Its obvious that my body is going to have to get used to all this moving around again. I was talking to DH last night and I told him that I feel better, and that I wasn't sure if it was all in my head or if I really am improving. I want to believe that its true progress and its not all in my head. I guess Ive been told "its all in your head" one too many times.

My headaches seem to be lessening in intensity, but not frequency. One thing that is bothering me though. I am absolutely ravenous. I was that way before but this has just taken it over the top. Could that be a gluten withdrawal? I don't feel the absolute need to go raid the bread box per se but I feel as though Im starving. That is not a good feeling, and the scale is starting to creep up, which really bothers me since I constantly struggle with weight. Just curious as to if others have experienced this.

I started feeling better after a week too, but not completely healed. It's been over four months, and I sometimes have setbacks, but the healing is still continuing. The first things to disappear were the D and the headaches, and the energy came back very quickly too. But the anxiety part, although reduced, is something I'm still struggling with. The brain fog comes and goes too, but less frequently.

As for the hungry feeling - I didn't have that. It could just be a mental thing, where you feel so deprived by not being able to eat the foods you're used to that your brain tells you to eat to overcome the deprival. I used to get that when I was trying to lose weight by cutting out certain foods. Not eating gluten will get easier though.

#3 katrnc

katrnc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm a week free too! I feel amazing! I have so much energy and I feel so light on the inside! I'm happier, calmer...my family even noticed a difference! I do get terrible cravings, and I get very hungry. I try to just suppress these and ride it out, they will go away I believe.
Well done! :lol: Go us! :)
21 Yrs Old
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease on 8.7.2012

#4 BigSweaty

BigSweaty

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

I am just over a week gluten-free..I can say the main thing that is constant is that I have an abundance of energy (or its normal energy that was not present due to the gluten intolerance). Also, I have seen a slight decrease in my belly (it was always "swollen".

Lost about 5 lbs. yet still eating when hungry(hunger has diminished, prob due to higher protein intake.

I dont crave wheat or wheat products and since I also cut back on sugar(to stop any yeast that may have been present), sweet tasting items seem much more sweet now.

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

HI,

Yes, I went through time of being extra hungry after going gluten-free. But it passed after a while and now I eat less than did before gluten-free.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 tctwhite

tctwhite

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Well either last night I got CC'd or just had a bad night in general. I was blown up like a balloon looking pregnant, stomach pains, nausea, and just felt like I could throw up at any second.

Im still blowing up like a balloon after meals. And these are meals I have made with no one else around and have been oober careful of CC possibilities.

I was just looking at labs that were done on me at the beginning of this year and just about all my vitamin deficiency tests were either right at the lowest normal level or just below normal. The writing has been on the wall for a long time and no one has caught it......or cared enough to delve deeper into what was going on. So many pieces of the puzzle are fitting together, even if it is self diagnosing. No way am I going to do the gluten challenge to try the blood work, and I dang sure am not having another endo done. :rolleyes:
Diagnosed with: Fibromyalgia, IBS, Chronic Fatigue, Chronic Gastritis, Asthma, Depression, Anxiety, severe allergies, and Im sure Im leaving out something else.
Biopsy 7/2012 was a bust as the Dr didn't test for Celiac.
Gluten Free 8/7/2012

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

HI,

Being low on vitamins is a sign you may have damage to your villi preventing absorption. That's probably something doctors should always test people for, vitamin deficiencies. You are still very new to the gluten-free diet, so it is not surprising it hasn't cleared all your symptoms up yet. It may be a few months up to a year or more for you to get back to feeling right digestion wise. Healing can take some time.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

The longest I went gluten-free was 3 weeks and I felt A M A Z I N G!!!!
I fell off the wagon and have been feeling pretty crappy all the time again. I do not have Celiac, I am Gluten Intolerant. I just went 4 days and felt great again and then stupidly ate some stupid cake at work today. I am not in pain, just feel lousy. I cannot say why I do this to myself, its all mental, I know that.

My energy level the last few days have been so amazing. Tonight I feel like I am ready to pass out but the last few days I had to find ways to get myself to sleep because I had so much energy!

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

That's great you are feeling better so soon! Congrats! I'm sorry to hear you were cc'd though; it's amazing how noticeable the symptoms are when we've been off gluten a while (I'm 2 months in).

I was extra hungry the first week or two, and now I find I'm less hungry. I can go more than 2hours without eating. LOL I used to get the shakes if I did that. In those first weeks, I did eat gluten-free snack foods a lot, and I still lost a couple pounds. Now, after 8 weeks, I'm down about 10-15 lbs. I don't know if it's the lack of inflammation, or just eating healthier foods, but it's working for me so I'm going with it! LOL
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: