6 replies to this topic

#1 onthemend

onthemend

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

I have maintained a gluten free diet for 13 years and dh has been managed quite effectively.
Recently, I have had a tremendous outbreak on my arms. ( ANd it is dh....nothing else feels the same)
I am treated by a very good dematologist, however, I think I am more knowledgable than he is since I have more experience.
Has anyone else had this experience and what causes it?
I rarely take dapasone, but am currently taking 100mg per day.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've been gluten-free for just over 3 years. I took 25 mg of Dapsone for about a year. I was OK till about 3 months ago and got the itch again. I saw my Dermatologist(Howard Robinson) in Bel Air Md and he told me they find this just happens sometimes from the DH without Gluten. I'm back on 25mg of Dapsone for 4 to 6 months. I'll need another blood lab this month, to make sure I can continue taking the Dapsone.
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

I have maintained a gluten free diet for 13 years and dh has been managed quite effectively.
Recently, I have had a tremendous outbreak on my arms. ( ANd it is dh....nothing else feels the same)
I am treated by a very good dematologist, however, I think I am more knowledgable than he is since I have more experience.
Has anyone else had this experience and what causes it?
I rarely take dapasone, but am currently taking 100mg per day.

My iodine intake effects my DH.

One of the worst breakouts I ever had was when I was taking a (gluten free) vitamin that contained had a fairly high dosage of iodine .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

So sorry you are having an outbreak. 13 years is very impressive for holding DH at bay, so obviously you are very good at avoiding gluten. The other factor for some people is iodine. Iodine can keep the antibodies active in the skin. Have you ever had to limit iodine for controlling your DH? I had to limit iodine in addition to total gluten avoidance to get my DH to heal. If you suspect this may be a problem for you, you can go to Thyca.com for the low iodine diet.

It is my understanding that gluten causes DH, but the iodine can keep the antibodies active in the skin and prevent DH from healing. The antibodies can remain in the skin for up to 10 years according to research I read not long ago. I will try to find that link for you. Gluten contamination would be the first suspect, but if you are sure you have been gluten free, then maybe you are reacting to iodine now even though you may not have in the past?

Squirmingitch put together a long list of links titled Interesting Reading on DH that includes everything you ever wanted to know about DH. Also some people with DH are sensitive to salicylates and need to minimize them to heal properly. I had to minimize salicylates for a while, but now seem to be able to tolerate them again. NSAIDS often cause DH to flare and there is research on that too. Do you take any NSAIDS?

http://www.celiac.co...-reading-on-dh/
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

Have you had any medical procedures lately such as a CT scan with "contrast"? A lot of things like that use iodine for the contrast. That's a good way to get a fast load of iodine. Something to think about.....

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

Have you had any medical procedures lately such as a CT scan with "contrast"? A lot of things like that use iodine for the contrast. That's a good way to get a fast load of iodine. Something to think about.....

I am glad you mentioned that ,, I just automatically refuse the contrast for that reason.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

I am glad you mentioned that ,, I just automatically refuse the contrast for that reason.

I know. I live in terror of the day they say I ABSOLUTELY HAVE to have the contrast. Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: