4 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

Would some of you wonderful bakers give me some advice about this recipe or possibly suggest another recipe for French bread? My friend, who is vegan, and I are going to get together and bake French bread. Her son bought her an expensive bread pan for just this purpose, and she's trying to go gluten-free, as well.

For some reason, this recipe sounds like it has too much tapioca, to me. She found it online. I don't like breads that are too starchy and I'm a little concerned that this will be too starchy. Here's the link:

http://www.bookofyum...ecipe-4704.html

Please let me know what you think. She's also used yeast in the past, so I'll be learning from her how to make yeast breads (when it has risen enough, etc.).

Thanks for all of your ideas, comments, suggestions :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jeannieknits

jeannieknits

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

this website has some fantastic recipes for yeast breads, including a french bread recipe. I think the key to successful bread is a combination of a bunch of flours.

http://gfboulange.bl...-for-table.html
celiac/gluten intolerance diagnosed in July of 2010
hemochromatosis (genetic iron storage disorder) diagnosed at the same time. The two diseases have been linked in studies.

also have atrial fibrillation, and poor weight gain.
diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4/2011.

gluten free since july 2010.
investigating other food sensitivities daily!

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

I make lots of bread and this recipe looks pretty good, actually. There is not an unusual amount of tapioca flour in it but I would personally swap a bit for maybe a bit more millet or some amaranth. You could even use a bit of corn flour. Do you have the lovely French pans? They make a big difference.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

I make lots of bread and this recipe looks pretty good, actually. There is not an unusual amount of tapioca flour in it but I would personally swap a bit for maybe a bit more millet or some amaranth. You could even use a bit of corn flour. Do you have the lovely French pans? They make a big difference.

My friend has a brand new french pan that her son bought her.

I have all of the above flours and even some Besan, or chickpea flour that I have never used. Most sources when I Googled chickpea flour said it is the same thing as garbanzo flour? so I could probably substitute it.

So, if you were baking, how much corn flour, amaranth, tapioca, millet would you use? I'm just not saavy baking bread at all.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#5 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

this website has some fantastic recipes for yeast breads, including a french bread recipe. I think the key to successful bread is a combination of a bunch of flours.

http://gfboulange.bl...-for-table.html

Thank you! That looks great! I think we can make it vegan by just using egg replacer for the eggs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: