Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Is Wrong With Me ? :/

7 posts in this topic

I cant have gluten, dairy, corn or soy. im only 20, and its really frustrating. well anyway, the other day i ate like a handful of pumpkin seeds, and immedietly got an upset stomach, had to go to the bathroom, started yawing like a freakazoid every 3 seconds haha an this is the second day after an i feel like i was hit by a bus -.- am i intolerant or allergic?:(

Ads by Google:

Hi Arian,

I want to try to help you figure this out. Were the pumpkin seeds in the shell? Were they raw or roasted. Many Roasted pumpkin seeds in the shell have a white coating that is Salt and Wheat. I used to eat pumpkin seeds all the time before I knew I was Celiac. Now I can't have them, due to the salt/wheat coating. But even shelled or raw pumpkin seeds can be contaminated with gluten if they are run on the same lines. Often nuts are contaminated with wheat and the same could be true of seeds.

How long have you been gluten free? The reason I ask is because a lot people are sensitive to a lot of foods until they heal. Are your symptoms the same ones you get when you eat gluten? If you have the package...read the ingredients to be sure it didn't contain wheat. The next thing is to figure out if they were cross contaminated.

Were your symptoms like what happens with gluten or like what happens with an allergy? A pumpkin allergy is rare, but it CAN happen. I googled pumpkin seed allergy and got this....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/140585-allergies-pumpkin-seeds/

Hi Arian,

I want to try to help you figure this out. Were the pumpkin seeds in the shell? Were they raw or roasted. Many Roasted pumpkin seeds in the shell have a white coating that is Salt and Wheat. I used to eat pumpkin seeds all the time before I knew I was Celiac. Now I can't have them, due to the salt/wheat coating. But even shelled or raw pumpkin seeds can be contaminated with gluten if they are run on the same lines. Often nuts are contaminated with wheat and the same could be true of seeds.

How long have you been gluten free? The reason I ask is because a lot people are sensitive to a lot of foods until they heal. Are your symptoms the same ones you get when you eat gluten? If you have the package...read the ingredients to be sure it didn't contain wheat. The next thing is to figure out if they were cross contaminated.

Were your symptoms like what happens with gluten or like what happens with an allergy? A pumpkin allergy is rare, but it CAN happen. I googled pumpkin seed allergy and got this....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/140585-allergies-pumpkin-seeds/

Thank you , you are so nice for helping me ! =) YES! They are the shelled, roasted, sea salty ones ! I ate the shell and all :o AND, also I've been gluten free for about a month :P Whats your opinion?:( thanks a whole lot, i reallllllyyyyyy reallyy appreciate your help:(<3

My opinion is you got a huge hit of gluten eating pumpkin seeds in the shell. Do you have the package? Can you find the label? What brand? Let's google them. Never assume something is gluten free. I was so surprised to learn that most pumpkin seeds in the shell are covered with wheat and salt, but it is true. I've never seen any that aren't. But I haven't looked in 2 years...I just gave them up.

You are probably going to be sick from the gluten for a while, but you know what? It is a learning process. In the beginning I made a lot of mistakes. It just happens. Do your best to read all labels now, and take good care of yourself. :)

My opinion is you got a huge hit of gluten eating pumpkin seeds in the shell. Do you have the package? Can you find the label? What brand? Let's google them. Never assume something is gluten free. I was so surprised to learn that most pumpkin seeds in the shell are covered with wheat and salt, but it is true. I've never seen any that aren't. But I haven't looked in 2 years...I just gave them up.

You are probably going to be sick from the gluten for a while, but you know what? It is a learning process. In the beginning I made a lot of mistakes. It just happens. Do your best to read all labels now, and take good care of yourself. :)

sorry for the late reply mam, i wasnt trying to be rude:p no more pumpkin seeds for me:( <3 btw, the package said handled in a facility that handles wheat:(<3

sorry for the late reply mam, i wasnt trying to be rude:p no more pumpkin seeds for me:( <3 btw, the package said handled in a facility that handles wheat:(<3

Oh my gosh! That's not rude at all. :) This is your thread so you can do what you want with it and reply when you want to!

Oh no! I react to products that are processed in a facility that also processes wheat too. I want to tell you that some products say "gluten free" on the front, and on the back it says...processed in a facility that also processes wheat. You will want to know that for future reference. :)

Oh my gosh! That's not rude at all. :) This is your thread so you can do what you want with it and reply when you want to!

Oh no! I react to products that are processed in a facility that also processes wheat too. I want to tell you that some products say "gluten free" on the front, and on the back it says...processed in a facility that also processes wheat. You will want to know that for future reference. :)

It REALLY ticks me off to see that. I have learned the hard way. Read every part of the label, every time.