2 replies to this topic

#1 Swimmr

Swimmr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

I haven't posted in a very very long time.

I was dx with Celiac May 2009. Moderate soy intolerance, but no other issues with other allergens that I know of. Haven't been tested for other sensitivities.

I started LO on solids a little after 6 months and she's done extremely well with it. I'm curious though as to what to look for when/if she shows any sensitivity to anything.

We had a scare a couple days ago after I introduced hard cheddar cheese. She LOVES it, but had two bowel movements that smelled like death itself died in her diaper, green slime and what looked to be curds of cheese. I always introduce one thing at a time so that I know when/if she has issues, that it must be the last thing. Well, the next days she spiked a fever of 102.4, then yesterday had a rash. Turned out to be roseola :\

ANYways, how will I know she has an issue with any allergens? So far she handles whole yogurt just fine. She's had strawberries, bananas, peas, broccoli, green beans, butter beans, whole yogurt, mango, peaches, cantaloupe, watermelon, avocado, sweet potato, red potato, carrots...and I think that covers it.

I've read that a target rash around the anus signifies a sensitivity...and sometimes a body rash...diarrhea, constipation. But what are tell tale signs and I dare not introduce gluten!
-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.
-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!
-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.
-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.
"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

If it's an allergy you will know. If it's an intolerance you may have a reaction later. If there is no history of an issue, try and relax and not worry. You aren't going to be able to predict these things. Best advice is to introduce one food and only one new food addition for 3 days. If you are going to see a reaction, it'll be within that time.

IF you see something you are worried about, keeping a food log is the best thing for an intolerance.

#3 LilleesMom

LilleesMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

I haven't posted in a very very long time.

I was dx with Celiac May 2009. Moderate soy intolerance, but no other issues with other allergens that I know of. Haven't been tested for other sensitivities.

I started LO on solids a little after 6 months and she's done extremely well with it. I'm curious though as to what to look for when/if she shows any sensitivity to anything.

We had a scare a couple days ago after I introduced hard cheddar cheese. She LOVES it, but had two bowel movements that smelled like death itself died in her diaper, green slime and what looked to be curds of cheese. I always introduce one thing at a time so that I know when/if she has issues, that it must be the last thing. Well, the next days she spiked a fever of 102.4, then yesterday had a rash. Turned out to be roseola :\

ANYways, how will I know she has an issue with any allergens? So far she handles whole yogurt just fine. She's had strawberries, bananas, peas, broccoli, green beans, butter beans, whole yogurt, mango, peaches, cantaloupe, watermelon, avocado, sweet potato, red potato, carrots...and I think that covers it.

I've read that a target rash around the anus signifies a sensitivity...and sometimes a body rash...diarrhea, constipation. But what are tell tale signs and I dare not introduce gluten!

The bowel movement is exactly how my daughters were before we figured out she had Celiac Disease. It looked like green slimy cottage cheese and smelled like sauerkraut. I don't know if it was the cheese but reading the labels is the best way to find out. I know sometimes this isn't very clear as "flavoring" can contain gluten. Good luck. My little girl is 11 months old today and has only had episode of vomiting since I and she have been gluten free. No more awful diapers either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: