2 replies to this topic

#1 Momofvmej

Momofvmej

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

I ate some gluten free chex cereal yesterday and had an immediate reaction. It usually takes about 24 hours before I get a reaction. I read somewhere that it could be the BHT? Does anyone else have a problem with that chemical? The funny thing is I feel fine today. I usually have a reaction for almost 5 days, with all kinds of symptoms. This was only an uncontrollable bathroom issue all day yesterday and today I am perfectly fine. That never happens when I have been glutened. Has anyone else experienced this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

my daughter seems to have a sensitivity to BHT. her reaction is Eosinophilic Esophagitus though. you can double check by looking through some of the generic brands of Chex type cereal. if you eat the same cereal sans BHT and everything is fine (for at least 12 days) and then have a reaction to the cereal with BHT then you will know it is the preservative.
Michigan

#3 Yumeji

Yumeji

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

I'm not sure if it's the BHT; however, when I tried both Corn Chex and Rice Krispies Gluten Free cereals, I immediately bloated up followed by days of abdominal and back pain (similar to when I eat peanuts, almonds, or popcorn). I always assumed it was the brown rice (too much fiber?) or perhaps the protein content. It seems most foods that cause me pain tend to be foods high in protein (i.e., meat, eggs, gluten, dairy, soy, corn, legumes, nuts). I've read that it could be a simple case of hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) and taking betaine HCl supplements with meals containing protein may help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: