4 replies to this topic

#1 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

I've read that both can have a laxative effect, how much does it take to cause that? For example, how many cookies would one have to eat to intake 15grams of xanthan or whatever amount is going to cause gastrointestinal troubles?
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

I don't know how much gum will cause a gastro reaction, as that would vary from individual to individual. Some are more sensitive to it, than others.

However, 15 grams of the stuff would be around 3 to 4 teaspoons, depending on volume, and the amount of xanthan gum in gluten free flours can be around a half teaspoon to one teaspoon per cup, for types such as rice flours, so that would be enough for 3 to 4 cups of flour, or .... an entire large batch of cookies. Or 2 small loaves of bread. Or a cake.

How many cookies were you planning to eat, anyway ? ;)

#3 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Lol 15 grams is jut the amount I found online for the maximum safe amount to consume. I have been having some gi issues lately, not glutened for sure but enough to bother me and I'm wondering if it is due to the xanthan gum in some cookies and breads I've been eating. For a long time I didn't allow any packaged foods in my diet but lately I have and there's definitely something not agreeing with me.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

It could also be another ingredient besides the gums.

I remember vividly 2 years ago, we stopped at the grocery store and I purchased a box of expensive, nice, tasty gluten free cookies as a treat, and I ate some on the way home after kayaking. Like maybe 2 cookies.
Stomach felt like it had a rock in it by the time we got home. Thought I was going to die, by midnight.
Still am not sure what the ingredient was, but... in general, I do not eat store bought cookies anymore.

I know I'm flax and millet sensitive, and likely prone to oat contamination problems, but it likely was the soy flour that got me that time. Flax is in so many gluten-free foods, took me awhile to figure that one out. :o

#5 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Oh I feel for you, soy is hard to avoid. I'm cutting out the xanthan gun for a few weeks or a couple months to see if that's what it is. My husband is convinced that's the culprit so I am going to give that a shot. I wouldn't know where else to start since I know I am ok with soy, and I already know i am allergic to peanuts and eggs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: