7 replies to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

Because psoriasis is my most notable symptom I have been to many psoriasis forums. I have told my story and they reject the very idea that gluten-free can help! There are many scolarly articles about the connection from some very reputable doctors, hospitals and other organizations, but they STILL reject the idea. I'll see things like, "I tried a gluten-free diet for three weeks and it didn't make any difference." But we here know that they were probably using their old toaster, double dipping in the peanut butter, not reading labels, etc.

I have even explained about secondary intolerances and how it has taken me over a year to see permanent results. They see that an think, it's too hard. It seems that no matter how bad their psoriasis is, they just refuse to give up bread and other grains.

It's just so frustrating! I KNOW that gluten-free is the answer. I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him THINK.

And it's sad that not only are they suffering the pain, itching, and hideous appearance of psoriasis, but they are doing damage to their bodies as well.

Oh well. I tried...

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Very frustrating. I try to just say the idea and hope that someone might make actually get tested properly for it. It's too frustrating.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#3 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

You know the saying about horses and water... you tried, that's all you can do. The whole concept of gluten free must sound pretty bizarre to others when it's been one of the staples of most people's diets their entire lives. Hopefully when more people become aware of just how sick it's making more and more people, it won't be as widely used? I tell people: be careful not to overdue the wheat in your diet, it can come back to haunt you! If they have to hit rock bottom they way we all have, then they'll change :)

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

I just had a conversations with my mother in law that is pretty much the same thing. Her entire family is riddled with diseases linked to celiac and she herself has non-hodkins lymphoma which again, linked to celiac. She made a remark about my mango and I said it's one of the few fresh fruits I'm allowed to eat any more so that's why I eat so many of them. She then went on and on about how she could just never do it because it would be SO HARD.... so like, dying of cancer is easier than not eating bread? Some people will just never see reason. I mean no, I don't think we can blame everything on gluten and I doubt it would help everyone, but what is the harm in trying?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 NightOwl

NightOwl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

Because psoriasis is my most notable symptom I have been to many psoriasis forums. I have told my story and they reject the very idea that gluten-free can help! There are many scolarly articles about the connection from some very reputable doctors, hospitals and other organizations, but they STILL reject the idea. I'll see things like, "I tried a gluten-free diet for three weeks and it didn't make any difference." But we here know that they were probably using their old toaster, double dipping in the peanut butter, not reading labels, etc.

I have even explained about secondary intolerances and how it has taken me over a year to see permanent results. They see that an think, it's too hard. It seems that no matter how bad their psoriasis is, they just refuse to give up bread and other grains.

It's just so frustrating! I KNOW that gluten-free is the answer. I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him THINK.

And it's sad that not only are they suffering the pain, itching, and hideous appearance of psoriasis, but they are doing damage to their bodies as well.

Oh well. I tried...

Three weeks off gluten is hardly enough to start reversing anything, at best some lucky people might get relief from diarrhea and other acute digestive problems but anything else would take months, even years to heal if the damage is not too great. When I didn't know better I'd tell people to go off wheat for a week or so to see if it would make a difference, well, that might work for a few lucky ones but now that I know about "gluten detox" and have lived it on 2 occasions I know it's completely possible to feel much worse before starting to feel better. Because I've never been diagnosed I'd stay away mainly from wheat for months at a time but would eventually cheat, but the last 2 times the consequences have been more serious, especially the last time. I first stopped wheat, then the other gluten grains back in March but my progress this time has been very very slow.

I surely understand your frustration, I've felt it regarding other important things that I wanted to pass on to others, but many will not listen. These days I don't get frustrated anymore, I plant the seed and leave it up to others to choose what to do, and cold as it may seem I now feel that those that won't listen probably deserve the suffering they're in.

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Perhaps gluten can give some people psoriasis but I don't think that is my case. I do not have celiac. I am not intolerant or allergic to gluten or wheat. But my daughter was for many years. So I did eat a gluten-free diet for well over a year. No affect on my psoriasis whatever. It seems to come and go. And why? I do not know.

#7 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

I have psoriasis in my finger nails and being gluten free doesn't help with. It seems to get worse when I am in an AI flare though -so I know it is all connected.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Gluten, soy, corn, and high salicylate foods have ALL contributed to my psoriasis. I had to ditch them all, and now my psoriasis is GONE. As I said in (in my poorly spelled) original post, SECONDARY intolerances are just as important as gluten. Julie, I would bet that the reason yours would come and go is that you ate something else you were intolerant to on those occasions it came back.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: