4 replies to this topic

#1 NJceliac

NJceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have celiac and do not experience symptoms (that I know of) when I am contaminated. My question is for those of you who live in a house where there are also those that eat gluten, do you use a separate dish sponge/dobie/cloth to wash the dishes? My antibody levels have been very slow to drop and I am trying to figure out if I am getting contaminated somehow.

Celiac Diagnosed 12/3/2011 (Positive blood work and biopsy at age 41)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Simona19

Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I have celiac and do not experience symptoms (that I know of) when I am contaminated. My question is for those of you who live in a house where there are also those that eat gluten, do you use a separate dish sponge/dobie/cloth to wash the dishes? My antibody levels have been very slow to drop and I am trying to figure out if I am getting contaminated somehow.

I don't, but I will wash dishes longer then usual. First I will wash it with sponge, then with my hand - I want to feel it, if I got everything. If not, I will take wire sponge (stronger then Brillo pads and without powder) and scrape everything down and then rinse everything very good with water.

I didn't have elevated antibodies, but my husband did and after a half of year they were 0- negative, so I think that what I'm doing is working.
I have two strainers for pasta, two pots for pasta, gluten-free cutting boards and utensils (with my name on them), two toasters, separate pots and pans, but rest I'm just washing by hands.

#3 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

My son and hubby still eat gluten. Our dishwasher is old and I was seeing "stuff" on the dishes after washing, even though we prerinse everything. I decided to just keep a few plates/dishes/silverware separate from theirs and immediately wash them seperately by hand after eating.
I wouldn't use a common sponge/dish cloth if it were me. I have cast iron pans that I use a stiff plastic brush to clean. I have one that I only use on my gluten-free pans/dishes. My hubby uses gluten in his cast iron, which is kept seperate and he has a seperate brush.
It seems like it might an easy way to get cc if you aren't keeping things seperate? We use LOTS of paper towels on dishes, stove tops, counters too, for quick clean ups.

#4 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

In our house, we have 2 gluten free and 2 not. The only thing we have that contains gluten is cereal, bread, and pasta.

For the cereal, we have special red bowls that they use. They rinse them themselves and use a specific sponge. After rinsing, they put them in the dishwasher with all the other dishes. If I see a red bowl left out (yes, sometimes they forget) at least I know the crumbs/milk contain gluten and I can be extra careful with it.

For the pasta, we only use stainless steel pots and we have a separate strainer. Again it is washed out with the gluten sponge and put in the dishwasher.

For the bread, they always make their sandwich on a specific, rimmed tray (to keep the crumbs from getting on the counter or table). To clean up, they just brush off crumbs off their plate (into the trash) and put it in the dishwasher. Same with the tray.

So far it has been working.

Helps to have different colored sponges.

We also bought a bunch of thin dishtowels that we use as place mats. I found that we weren't always that good at cleaning the regular place mats and these are easy, I just fold them up (to trap the crumbs) and then toss them in the laundry.

Every time my celiac kid eats, he makes sure to get a clean place mat - then I don't even have to worry that someone forgot to wipe down the table or something.

Cara

#5 NJceliac

NJceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

I appreciate everyone telling me their routine. Thanks for replying!

Celiac Diagnosed 12/3/2011 (Positive blood work and biopsy at age 41)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: