This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vegas, Baby!

srall

srall Contributor

I hope it's okay that I started a new post but I told a couple of people I would post about the restaurants in Vegas. I thought it was extremely easy to eat DINNER in Vegas gluten free. The restaurants were very accommodating. Lunches were more frustrating. We could find sandwich places or bar food, but it was harder to find a nice place where I could order a hunk of meat and vegetables. Plus it seemed like the really good staff got to work at night. Our lunch servers sort of fell short, even the woman who told me that she herself was just diagnosed gluten-free/df a few months ago seemingly forgot that my salmon needed to be dairy free by the time it got to the table. Oh well...mostly it was easy and the food was fantastic. As opposed to New Orleans where it seemed much harder to get a tasty gluten-free meal.

I traveled with my MIL who sprung for the trip so it was way more swanky than if my husband and I had gone. So most of these restaurants are super expensive. I did notice an Outback and PF Chang's right on the strip. I'm also hoping that my experience means that all restaurants do a good job.

So here's where we went: Morel's for lunch in Palazzo. Very little to choose from on the menu. It was just after we landed and we were STARVING. I got a tuna appetizer because it was really all that was safe and it was about 2 bites of food. They had sorbet on the menu and since I don't do corn, I was excited that this was made with sugar so I ordered some up. Then it came in a waffle cone type bowl and drizzled with a cream sauce...after gluten-free/df was discussed. *sigh*

That night we had dinner at Lavo which is also in Palazzo. I had salmon with green beans and it was pretty good.

The next day we went to some outlet malls where there was only a food court, but there was sushi and it seemed to be okay. It tasted good and I didn't get sick. No gluten-free soy sauce though.

That night we went to Sinatra's in either the Wynne or Encore (one of the two) Food was fantastic. I had Chilean sea bass that did not need substitutions. Weirdly their sorbet had corn syrup. I told the server I was shocked because to me corn syrup seems kind of low class. But I've become very snobby about food. Anyhow, they had an allergen menu and the server was perfect.

The next day we were traipsing about the strip and we ended up at a restaurant called Olive's for lunch. The server had just been diagnosed herself so we talked about how much better she was feeling etc etc. My salmon did come out with a butter cream sauce which I foolishly ate because sometimes I can handle a touch of dairy. Stupid...every muscle in my neck seized up and I was in pain for the entire afternoon. Luckily and extra dose of magnesium helped, but I should have sent that damn fish back. Someday I'll learn. I think Olive's was in Bellagio?

That night we went to Tao in the Venetian. Probably my all time favorite restaurant. Server was VERY knowledgeable and nice. I had sushi with gluten-free soy sauce.

The next day I had lunch at another restaurant in the Palazzo...salmon. It was okay. Lunches really were the weak point. And breakfast was a nightmare because I don't eat eggs. I had pecans and cashews with me and then the hotel buffet had fruit so I wasn't filled up but had something to eat.

That's my pretty long report. Vegas is very doable gluten free and the food was really good. Nights are easier than day.

Oh...and thank heaven for wine!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived