Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Interesting, Gluten Topicals Reaction? :o

4 posts in this topic

I've been avoiding gluten, corn, sulfates, and soy im my diet, and topicals. Well today, I used pantene or some weird brand, and a icky body wash from the 99 cent store, and right after i showered with it. i felt anxious again, upset stomach, and just feelin not like myself again. so wtf is up? im intolerant to these things, not allergic, so why would a topical effect me like that? does it absorb into your blood? help:(

Ads by Google:

I've been avoiding gluten, corn, sulfates, and soy im my diet, and topicals. Well today, I used pantene or some weird brand, and a icky body wash from the 99 cent store, and right after i showered with it. i felt anxious again, upset stomach, and just feelin not like myself again. so wtf is up? im intolerant to these things, not allergic, so why would a topical effect me like that? does it absorb into your blood? help:(

From the best of my understanding it doesn't absorb into your bloodstream, the more likely option is that you used these products and then put your hands/fingers near your mouth and thats how the culprit got in. Or, as you were washing the shampoo/body wash off, some ran over your lips and you may have licked your lips afterwards - it only takes a small amount... :( Feel better!!!

I think it can be absorbed through the skin. It also is possibly breathed in. I hope the reaction will be short.

From the best of my understanding it doesn't absorb into your bloodstream, the more likely option is that you used these products and then put your hands/fingers near your mouth and thats how the culprit got in. Or, as you were washing the shampoo/body wash off, some ran over your lips and you may have licked your lips afterwards - it only takes a small amount... :( Feel better!!!

I had a similar issue with shampoo and body wash! I had been getting a slight rash for awhile, but didn't think anything about it! It wasn't until after I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in early January and I cut out all gluten that the reactions got worse. I got out of the shower one Sunday afternoon and was completely covered in red splotches!! I immediately bought new shampoo (Garnier Fructis) and body wash (Dove). I completely understand how you felt. I have had issues with lotions and makeup as well and I am still figuring things out. It's gonna be trial and error for a while.

I do hope you are feeling better!!