3 replies to this topic

#1 arian

arian

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

I've been avoiding gluten, corn, sulfates, and soy im my diet, and topicals. Well today, I used pantene or some weird brand, and a icky body wash from the 99 cent store, and right after i showered with it. i felt anxious again, upset stomach, and just feelin not like myself again. so wtf is up? im intolerant to these things, not allergic, so why would a topical effect me like that? does it absorb into your blood? help:(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:45 AM

I've been avoiding gluten, corn, sulfates, and soy im my diet, and topicals. Well today, I used pantene or some weird brand, and a icky body wash from the 99 cent store, and right after i showered with it. i felt anxious again, upset stomach, and just feelin not like myself again. so wtf is up? im intolerant to these things, not allergic, so why would a topical effect me like that? does it absorb into your blood? help:(

From the best of my understanding it doesn't absorb into your bloodstream, the more likely option is that you used these products and then put your hands/fingers near your mouth and thats how the culprit got in. Or, as you were washing the shampoo/body wash off, some ran over your lips and you may have licked your lips afterwards - it only takes a small amount... :( Feel better!!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

I think it can be absorbed through the skin. It also is possibly breathed in. I hope the reaction will be short.

#4 soyjoy318

soyjoy318

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

From the best of my understanding it doesn't absorb into your bloodstream, the more likely option is that you used these products and then put your hands/fingers near your mouth and thats how the culprit got in. Or, as you were washing the shampoo/body wash off, some ran over your lips and you may have licked your lips afterwards - it only takes a small amount... :( Feel better!!!

I had a similar issue with shampoo and body wash! I had been getting a slight rash for awhile, but didn't think anything about it! It wasn't until after I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in early January and I cut out all gluten that the reactions got worse. I got out of the shower one Sunday afternoon and was completely covered in red splotches!! I immediately bought new shampoo (Garnier Fructis) and body wash (Dove). I completely understand how you felt. I have had issues with lotions and makeup as well and I am still figuring things out. It's gonna be trial and error for a while.

I do hope you are feeling better!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: