6 replies to this topic

#1 shauniscrazy

shauniscrazy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

I am new and would love tips. I would like to here what other people did when they first found out too.
shauniscrazy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Persei V.

Persei V.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

I felt desperate. I was sick for a couple of weeks when I put the pieces together and went to a doctor, and my diet was only liquids, not to mention I was rail thin. How was I supposed to reach a healthy weight again, if I am not supposed to eat anything with wheat? My diet was basically cookies, bread and juice, back then.

So I sat down and started to list foods I liked and could eat. Then I went on trying new ones when I got better, and my food list has expanded greatly ever since. Processed foods around where I live hardly are gluten free, so I had to look before leap.

And that's about it. Thinking about what you can eat safely for the time being until well enough to try out other things seems to be the reasonable thing to do.
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#3 shauniscrazy

shauniscrazy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

I felt desperate. I was sick for a couple of weeks when I put the pieces together and went to a doctor, and my diet was only liquids, not to mention I was rail thin. How was I supposed to reach a healthy weight again, if I am not supposed to eat anything with wheat? My diet was basically cookies, bread and juice, back then.

So I sat down and started to list foods I liked and could eat. Then I went on trying new ones when I got better, and my food list has expanded greatly ever since. Processed foods around where I live hardly are gluten free, so I had to look before leap.

And that's about it. Thinking about what you can eat safely for the time being until well enough to try out other things seems to be the reasonable thing to do.

Thanks and i have been trying new foods. I have also found new ones to replace what i cant eat anymore. I cant really get anything at restaurants anymore :P. Sandwiches on gluten free bread is about the only thing i have been eating now though and that is getting old quick lol. What would you recommend?
shauniscrazy

#4 Sage122

Sage122

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

I completely feel you. This weekend, I had to be rushed to the ER cause I had an anaphylactic reaction to wheat and milk. Now I can't eat wheat (gluten) or milk (cheese, butter, ice cream, yogurt, rtc). It's hard but I HAVE to stick to it. The next time i accidentally consume it, I could die.

I've been scared to eat now too, after all had happened. But like the other user said, you just need to sit down and write what you CAN eat. I'm making cheese less Mexican pizza tonight (refried beans, salsa , corn) with a dairy free wheat free crust I found at whole foods. You can manage. Here are some ideas for you:

Chicken/fish/meat and veggie
Rice and meat
Tacos
Corn tortillas with stuff inside

What did you eat before you found out you had celiac??? You can pretty much eat the same things. Now you just have to substitue pasta and bread for Gluten free pasta and bread

#5 shauniscrazy

shauniscrazy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

I completely feel you. This weekend, I had to be rushed to the ER cause I had an anaphylactic reaction to wheat and milk. Now I can't eat wheat (gluten) or milk (cheese, butter, ice cream, yogurt, rtc). It's hard but I HAVE to stick to it. The next time i accidentally consume it, I could die.

I've been scared to eat now too, after all had happened. But like the other user said, you just need to sit down and write what you CAN eat. I'm making cheese less Mexican pizza tonight (refried beans, salsa , corn) with a dairy free wheat free crust I found at whole foods. You can manage. Here are some ideas for you:

Chicken/fish/meat and veggie
Rice and meat
Tacos
Corn tortillas with stuff inside

What did you eat before you found out you had celiac??? You can pretty much eat the same things. Now you just have to substitue pasta and bread for Gluten free pasta and bread

Thanks for your reply and im sorry that happened to you. I have never had any really bad reactions, i just felt sick and really tired all the time. But i cant have wheat or dairy either now. I have found substitutes for most things like they have dairy free cheese which would go great with your pizza lol and i have been drinking rice milk instead.
shauniscrazy

#6 Guest_Runningdream_*

Guest_Runningdream_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

That seems hard. Have you gone to whole foods? They have tons of gluten free and dairy free stuff

#7 shauniscrazy

shauniscrazy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

That seems hard. Have you gone to whole foods? They have tons of gluten free and dairy free stuff

I want to go to one but the closest is more than an hour away i believe. But ingles has a bunch of gluten free and dairy free. There is also an Earth Fare near here.
shauniscrazy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: