• Please log in to reply

31 replies to this topic

#16 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

I too have had C my entire life. Unlike others, I tended to go about every other morning, but it always felt like my gut was just clearing out just enough to make more room to pack in more. It hurt my gut when it would try to get moving the night before. My only relief would be around "that time of the month" when everything would get cleared out by the hormones but I was bloated in other ways so it wasn't much of a reprieve. I hope you get relief soon! It's annoying to feel like the stereo typical grandma in a lodge who thinks about BM's all the time... especially when I'm barely middle aged. LOL Hugs.

I have been gluten-free (except for a couple accidents) for only two months and have noticed only minimal improvement. Recently I discovered my thyroid isn't working well (I assume it's hashimoto's) so I'm hoping that once I start treating my thyroid, and give my adrenal a break, I'll get some improvement.

My thyroid problem was found with a high TSH, but I didn't realize that TSH tests are notoriously unreliable so I think I've had a thyroid problem for a few years since I've requested thyroid tests (docs ran TSH only) a couple of times over the last 10 years due to symptoms that caused me to suspect a problem...

Sorry, I can't offer advice. Your doing the right things already. I just wish you luck. :)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 cap6

cap6

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

I have seen so many posts lately dealing with severe chronic constipaion. I have suffered from it all my life and thought I was the only one who went gluten-free only to find the constipation became worse! I too have tried everything..tones of water, fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, beans, oils, etc, etc. Nothing worked. It got so bad that at one point 3 ducolax laxitives wouldn't move (!) me.
RonSchon - I am exactly the same if i get glutened. Two to three weeks to get on a somewhat even keel again.

Two years gluten-free and I am starting to improve. My daily routine: 3 flax seed oils, priobiotic 2x's a day, 4 oz aloe 2x's a day, liquid iron, powdered vits, metamucil 2x's a day, as close to a gallon of water as i can get,fruits, veggs, no junk food and a herbal tea every other night. I know it is all working to heal because I have been faithful to this routine for the past year and wghere I was taking the tea every night I am now able to take it every other night and once in awile am able to "go" on my own without the assistance of the tea. That is huge progress for me. I am not suggesting that anyone start taking a herbal laxative tea, just saying what has helped me.

#18 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Me too, I drink 85 ounces of water every day. Occasional colonics have made a huge difference to get things moving. Before I found out I was gluten intolerant, I used MIRALAX daily for several years and it worked like a charm. Since my diagnosis, I stopped using it in case it was irritating my already inflamed intestinal lining. My colonic tech suggested I give that stuff a rest for now.

Does anyone know about using MIRALAX during healing from gluten damage? Good luck, bad luck? I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with that.

When I become really backed up, I become so depressed from it. It's becoming my worst symptom. I don't mean bummed out because I can't go. I mean the actual physical brain changes that occur when the toxins build up too much. My ND calls it leaky brain. I can tell when I've reached my toxic limit. Irritability comes first, followed by anxiety, then hopelessness. It's getting really hard to take. Then once I go I'm my usual cheerful self again.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#19 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

I was, by no means, as C as everyone posting above but I can say that every time I pick up an exercise routine my c clears up.

I started working out 4 weeks ago - and my "better" bm's became even more regular. So, that at least is consistent pre and post gluten-free.

Also, sugar gives me C. It's painfully (hah!) obvious now that my diet has changed so much.

Before I started thyroid meds C was bad. Real bad. Meds helped quite a bit - gluten-free helped more. Exercise makes them dang near perfect.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#20 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Oo No, No………….you are not alone, I had this for 15 years ,being gluten free for 6 month I am still on and off , there are days when I getbetter but then there are days for no reason it is back.

There are few things that helped me , excluding beans andcorn have helped . Magnesium,B12 Supplement s have also helped . Thank Godthere are days now I can sing being in the Toilet.

A bend in the road is not the end of the road.

Hope and pray you find something that works.

#21 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hmmm... more helpful info, thanks!

It's true I haven't had the energy left over lately to exercise and I SO want to get back on my exercise bike. I've been walking 10-20 min some days. I actually crave more vigorous exercise. It does wear me out when I do it now, but 5 min a day on the bike might be do-able, but when I ache all over most days lately, I just don't want to.

I was tested for Hashimoto's this week, along with the usual lab work, including the vitamins we tend to be deficient in, and another Celiac blood test (tested negative the first time months ago). So I will find out how my thyroid is doing and if there is med that can help me.

I believe I will be regular again. I do have a few days here and there when I go completely normal, like I used to until I was 38. Those were the days when I didn't even think about it, and would go 3 times a day. I still have hope and I'm feeling pretty good today.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#22 CathyRose

CathyRose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

I also have the constipated version of Celiac. My mother had the diarrhea version. Go figure. :huh:

Painful bloating, stabbing cramps, flatulence, headaches, lethargy and depression. Fun stuff. :blink: For a few months after going off gluten I was regular, for the first time since I was a kid. About 7 months after quitting gluten, the constipation came back with a vengeance. I've now been off gluten for a year and I'm still struggling with C. I'm hoping it passes, that it's just a phase my body needs to go through while it's healing. I've had other symptoms clear up nicely, so I'm not going to give up hope just yet.

Best of luck to us all and may the banana and flaxseed smoothies flow freely :D

#23 Christin60

Christin60

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

I've seen some really brave posts on here recently, so I am going to talk about my worst symptom. Severe Chronic Constipation. More people seem to have D on this site, and I never do, so I've been embarrassed to bring up my problem. I've been having severe constipation for three years, trying to figure out why. Then I found out about my gluten intolerance, and started eating gluten free. I start to have normal bm's then get "glutened" again when I try a new food because of leaky gut, and my body has to start over and hasn't really had time to heal enough to see good results long term, even though I've technically been gluten free almost five months.

I occasionally I have a bm on my own, but mostly I am dependent on plain water enemas and occasional colonics. Please no comments from people concerned about that. It's not dangerous or habit forming like docs will tell you. It's perfectly fine to do as long as I need to. I'm also not looking for constipation remedies. I've tried everything that helps most people. Walking, more water, fiber, medications, you name it, I've tried it. It doesn't work for me. I'm not careful about always eating organic though because I can't believe that could be enough to cause this.I take probiotics. I eat nothing other than fresh fruit, raw vegetables, beans, nuts, and water. That's all I can eat with having a horrible gluten like reaction. I use evap cane juice in my smoothies and salad dressing, sea salt, pepper, olive oil. Right now I'm drinking Kangen water to see if that helps.

What I would like to know is has anyone else experienced this symptom like I have from an intolerance to gluten or leaky gut? Did it get better? Can anyone relate? I'd like to know I'm not alone, and it would be encouraging to hear any comments about anyone who's recovered from this. Between the constipation and gluten symptoms, I'm sick so much, I have no life to speak of. I'm happy if I can make it to work.

I'm curious, I too have suffered from chronic severe constipation now for a little over 4 years.  I've tried everything including the herbal teas which my gastroenterologist just recently advised me to stop.  She had originally said in 2010 when I first saw her they were fine to take since no over the counter or prescription medications/remedies seemed to be working.  You stated you had tried colonics which had provided some relief.  I live in Iowa and I've been trying to find somewhere that offers this and haven't had much success.  Can you tell me a little more about your experience with this and if you would recommend it.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

#24 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:22 AM

I suffered for years, and until being gluten-free, and going through all of my issues this spring, nothing had worked, but a year of gluten-free, things were better.  Then things were bad again, now I am somewhat regular.  gluten-free, not just grocery store purchasing gluten-free, but eating whole natural foods.  I cook almost everything myself.  Few grains.  Lots of water, only 1 cup of coffee a day, green tea or water the rest of the day.  Olive oil, increased vitamins, a glass of water with either lemon or apple cider vinegar.  I also cut back potatoes, not sure why but it was suggested.  I look for higher protein vegetables and enjoy more meats.  Good luck, what worked for me might not work for you, but I am doing better.  My husband used to joke about my bowels, now there is no joke left.  I am normal in that department.  For now anyway.  Finally.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#25 BZBee

BZBee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yep! And check your vitamin panel. My doc. Said it was rare to have constipation than diarrhea but it didn't change the diagnosis. Your bloodwork and biopsy confirms your disease. I'm finding all of us react in different ways.

#26 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Most doctors remain woefully undereducated with regard to Celiac Disease.  They were taught the "classic" list of symptoms -- Underweight, Diarrhea, Short Stature, Childhood Disease that many outgrow.  Sadly, many of the 300 symptoms associated with celiac disease are not on their radar.  

In my opinion, constipation not being a "classic" symptom of Celiac Disease is one of the primary reasons so many of us went undiagnosed for many years.  Bowel changes are the key.  Some of us have D, some C and some flip-flop back and forth -- really how many folks know exactly what a healthy bowel movement looks like if they have had abnormal movements their entire life? 

I was 43 and in the process of being diagnosed with Celiac Disease - speaking to one of the top Celiac doctors in the country when I had my very first frank discussion about my bowel movements.  No doctor of any specialty for over 25 years asked me the questions he did about my "poop" history.

I forget the actual figures, but I think the last ones I saw published were approximately 40% of those with celiac disease present with constipation -- not a "classic" symptom -- thankfully the wide array of celiac symptoms are beginning to trickle down to the medical community -- would be nice if we could assume someone trained in gastroenterology had a good understanding of our disease -- sadly this is not always the case.

Oops....hoping off my soapbox

I have been recovering for over four years and I still battle constipation regularly -- I have had improvement -- but the slow transit issue I developed over the years has yet to be completely resolved.  I am hopeful one day I will join the "regular" crowd.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#27 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Have you heard of the specific carbohydrate diet? It's used to help heal digestive disease. I got on it and after 2 day I could notice a difference. I have a mild form of C and I'm in my 20's and I'm afraid it will get worse if I don't get it under control. I ran across this website http://pecanbread.co.../coprotocol.htm . The diet she is referring to is based on Elaine Gottschall's book Breaking the Vicious Cycle and there is more information on scdlifestyle.com. I wish I knew more of what to tell you but sometimes it helps me to read people's testimonies of what worked for them and maybe it can work for someone else, too.

#28 Cattknap

Cattknap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Probiotics are the way to go.  I take Align once a day and my chronic constipation is cured - normal bms for the first time since I was in high school....I am 62 and was diagnosed (blood test and biopsy) with Celiac almost 2 1/2 years ago.  I buy Align  at Costco.  I am vegetarian - eating a plant-based diet other than salmon once a week and plain Greek yogurt every other day.  Much of my diet is raw.  Align has totally changed my life.

#29 ravenra

ravenra

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

I suffered from chronic constipation as a child but then switched to regular D as a teen and in my early 20s.

Over the past 2 years I've been sorting out my food intolerances (onion, garlic, peppers, sugars, casein/lactose & gluten) and when I would eat a big batch of something my body didn't like I'd get D for days - french onion soup was what tipped me off on the onions.

Since going gluten free 8 months ago I immediately became constipated. Initially I thought it was because I cut out all grains - but then after 5 months of terrible constipation (which seems worse to me than D) I realized that it was the gluten-free oats I was eating. I stopped eating oats and all of a sudden I was having perfect BMs.  Now, when I get accidentally 'glutened' I get constipated (along w/ all the other symptoms) -  and if I eat my 'other' intolerances, which happens much more often, I get D. 

For me, journaling and sorting out all the other food intolerances - including lots of healthy fruits and veg I was eating EVERY DAY - was the most important thing.

Gluten free since 12-2012

Thrombocytopenia 09-2013

Optic neuritis 02-2013, 5-2014

Dx w/ Asthma, Lichen Sclerosis, & IBS for over a decade.  

Daily headache(s), eczema, and LS free since giving up gluten!

#30 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Both my kids had to use miralax as c was their main symptom. Mour gastro told us a double or triple dose for 3 days to get everything out, then follow the dosing on the bottle for adults. It's tasteless so justbmix it in with water. If the adult dose isn't enough use a dose and a half for awhile, you can't really overdose on miralax, it's plant based, if you take too much you just get the runs, then you know you need to take a little less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: