Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Need To Change The Way I Feel About Food....

• Please log in to reply

24 replies to this topic

#16 MitziG

MitziG

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Awww...now I'm blushing.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well, you are trying, so that's really nice. Since this is my first post here, I'm going to say I'm 15, diagnosed with gluten and lactose intolerance. I knew about the lactose since I was nine (but I had it ever since I was a baby, so I spent nine years of my life sick) and developed gluten intolerance recently (roughly 6 months). My mom didn't think it was a serious disease, and would go away soon, and did not believe gluten is a sneaky bastard which can creep up on foods. I started to go anorexic.

Still now, with my mom's support, my relationship with food isn't healthy and I know what your daughter feels, and having someone to support is... Is heaven, really. You are doing great for respecting her fears and soon she will come around, you'll see. ;)
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#18 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Well, her fears aren't irrational you see. She gets very very sick from "mystery" exposure. Try as we might, we never know the source of her exposure. Our whole house is gluten free as 3 of us are celiacs. She eats nothing anywhere else. Period. So...it is usually chalked up to doorknobs or surfaces that are contaminated. Can't disinfect the world. So she has become very, very controlled about what she eats and when, and since she already has OCD, having such control issues about food is a slippery slope that could easily lead her into an eating disorder. I struggled with disordered eating for 20 years so I am particularly cautious when I see her exibiting some of the same behaviors I had. She has always been a "solid" girl, never overweight at all, but definitely not waifish. Since she went off casein, her whole physique changed. Frankly, she is a knockout now. 5'8" and 120 lbs, all muscle. She is excited because she can finally wear "skinny jeans"y before she was always too bloated. I can just easily see how her enthusiasm for her new shape combined with the food control could snowball. So, I'm watching closely...

#19 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi Mitzi,

Maybe you can find a local celiac support group in the area? Around here there is a group that hosts dinners and potlucks for the local celiacs to attend. If there is one in your state nearby it might be worth checking out.

About the daughter, I wonder is she is reacting to another food. There are so many possibilities there but the common ones are nightshades, soy, corn, eggs, and diary. It might be worth eliminating all of those for a while to see if there is improvement. It might help. We can come up wiht some odd intolerances. Like carrots and grapes for me. So everything needs to be considered. Especially things that she eats often. Since she is sick often it is probably something or somethings that she consumes regularly. Well, seems like it would be anyhow.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#20 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yeah..there is a celiac support group here...but they are a bunch of clueless whiners who make me want to bang my head in frustration. Not my cup o tea.

I suspect either food intolerance or fructose problem for her. Getting the latter checked next week, if nothing then getting referred to Celiac specialty clinic at Iowa City.

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Yeah..there is a celiac support group here...but they are a bunch of clueless whiners who make me want to bang my head in frustration. Not my cup o tea.

I suspect either food intolerance or fructose problem for her. Getting the latter checked next week, if nothing then getting referred to Celiac specialty clinic at Iowa City.

Ha ha , clueless whiners are the worst! I much prefer informed whiners with their knowledgeable complaints. :D well, maybe the daughter could find some friends in that group to share lunches with or something. Has she been keeping a food log with her symptoms? Seems like that might help her eliminate some fear. If she has in writing what she is eating and some of those foods don't make her sick, then she knows she can eat those safely. It works both ways, find the bad foods, but also find the good foods. I hope it works out well for you both. This food intolerance stuff can be such a mystery at times.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

MitziG...

Have you checked out www.gutsy.com?

Caroline (the owner of the gutsy site is a super-sensitive 18 yr old. She follows GAPS diet. She is an extraordinary young lady and very very knowledgeable. She is, also, very active on her site...answers every commenter from what I've seen so far.

I'm just thinking you might want to check her out...maybe ask her some questions or get ideas for your daughter.

Just a thought... :)

#23 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Thanks, I will check that out. Haven't heard of it before. Oh, GFinDC....clueless whiners are also middle aged women...so they probably won't come hang with her at school. ;)

#24 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thanks, I will check that out. Haven't heard of it before. Oh, GFinDC....clueless whiners are also middle aged women...so they probably won't come hang with her at school. ;)

Oh well, probably for the best then. All those cougars hanging around the school could be bad. :D Just kidding!

#25 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

I think drs have NO CLUE what a food intolerance can do to a person mentally!

Boy ain't THAT the truth!

There IS some neurological research but of course it rarely makes its way to the GIs or PCPs. :(
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: