2 replies to this topic

#1 the1trueyankee

the1trueyankee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hi I'm new here, and I've got a question, after having ezema on my hand and lips, and a rash around my mouth, I've self diagnosed myself with a gluten intolerance. For the past 2 days or so I've gone gluten free and dairy free. That is; with the exception of Chobani's Greek Yogurt.
After reading so many testimonies where people say they've gotten rid of dairy, it's left me with questions. By dairy free does that include yogurt? Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

People with villi damage from Celiac sometimes don't have the enzymes to break down the lactose in dairy. Eating dairy that is lactose free or low lactose is best. Yogurt falls into this category as do most hard cheeses. The lactose is "eaten" up by the fermentation process.

Many of us also find that we can't tolerate any dairy at all, at first. Once we heal, many of us can return dairy to our diets.

Your body will be unique to you. Go ahead and eat your yogurt if it agrres with you, but if you want ice cream, or milk try a lactaid supplement? If you find you have symptoms that can vary from bloating, indigestion, achy joints, migraines,foggy brasin, reflux, etc. you may find going completely dairy free (absolutely nothing derived from cow's milk) is good for a while?

I hope I cleared that up for you..and I hope you get to keep dairy! :D

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi I'm new here, and I've got a question, after having ezema on my hand and lips, and a rash around my mouth, I've self diagnosed myself with a gluten intolerance. For the past 2 days or so I've gone gluten free and dairy free. That is; with the exception of Chobani's Greek Yogurt.
After reading so many testimonies where people say they've gotten rid of dairy, it's left me with questions. By dairy free does that include yogurt? Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

Well, yogurt is made from milk (which is what we call dairy), so strictly speaking, no, if you're having yogurt you are not dairy free. You may be lactose free (not consuming the milk sugar) but you are still consuming casein (the milk protein).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: