59 replies to this topic

#16 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Don't forget to check out the recipes on marksdailyapple.com--you can download the recipe books for free (or order them in print for $$). Also, people provide their own recipes all the time. The Forum there is also awesome, and the people sound VERY intelligent. I've discovered that there are also meetup.com groups that are paleo/primal, and they always state, "celiacs welcome" when they have get-togethers.

Congrats on your weightloss, which is normal for being on the diet for only a few days. I really did lose five pounds per week when I was following the diet closely. Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ChristineWas

ChristineWas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

I didn't buy any books...just steaks. ;)

Lol!

Thanks to this thread, I feel motivated to keep going with this. Thanks, everyone. My husband and I just went strictly paleo, but got hit with some sort of bug right when we started. (No, we weren't detoxing... it was the beginning of the first official day, so my body wouldn't even know anything was different yet.) After throwing up, all of the foods I'd just eaten pre-up-chuck didn't look appealing anymore. I really wanted to reach for comfort food (cheese!) when my appetite returned. (Comfort food that makes me feel sick, ironically.)

Anyway... I am sure this will be worth it.

#18 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

Lol!

Thanks to this thread, I feel motivated to keep going with this. Thanks, everyone. My husband and I just went strictly paleo, but got hit with some sort of bug right when we started. (No, we weren't detoxing... it was the beginning of the first official day, so my body wouldn't even know anything was different yet.) After throwing up, all of the foods I'd just eaten pre-up-chuck didn't look appealing anymore. I really wanted to reach for comfort food (cheese!) when my appetite returned. (Comfort food that makes me feel sick, ironically.)

Anyway... I am sure this will be worth it.

I'm sorry to hear that you and your hubby got sick, but that's great that you wanna keep going with it! I continue to see steady results and like I said in an earlier post this is the first time in several weeks that I haven't had cramps or reactions to food. I wish you the best! Let us know how you're doing!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#19 AmyNColorado

AmyNColorado

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced being irritable and low mood on the paleo diet. I went to a paleo mostly diet to try to clear up remaining symptoms and while my stomach feels great...my moods are irritable. I hear alot that people had success with depression symptoms when going paleo but that hasn't been my case. My depression seems to have gotten worse and my medications aren't helping. It's more quick temper/anxiety than sadness. I'm also very active outdoors, I exercise sometimes twice a day. I do eat alot of fruit allowed on the diet and I don't follow it religiously because I don't need to lose weight.

Does anyone else have this problem?

#20 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced being irritable and low mood on the paleo diet. I went to a paleo mostly diet to try to clear up remaining symptoms and while my stomach feels great...my moods are irritable. I hear alot that people had success with depression symptoms when going paleo but that hasn't been my case. My depression seems to have gotten worse and my medications aren't helping. It's more quick temper/anxiety than sadness. I'm also very active outdoors, I exercise sometimes twice a day. I do eat alot of fruit allowed on the diet and I don't follow it religiously because I don't need to lose weight.

I havent't yet experienced any mood symptoms but I still get pretty tired in the middle of the day. Granted, that also happened before I started the Primal/Paleo diet. For the past couple weeks (only started Primal/Paleo last week) I've just felt more fatigued and low energy, but I was also feeling pretty crappy with eating the processed foods, which I seemed to develop some sensitivities to. Maybe your body is craving more carbs and is missing it? Not sure if this helps but hang in there!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#21 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Are you taking vitamin supplements regularly?
Even a slight deficiency in the B vitamins can cause symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Make sure you are getting enough essential fats from good fats like avocado and olive oil and omega 3 from Salmon. These things should help you. Make sure you take a multiple vitamin daily. Many people make the mistake of going low fat but there are reasons your body/brain needs more fat when you are eating Paleo. It makes you a fat burner and not a sugar burner in Sisson's words and this is a good thing. Unless you are eating too much sugar and you are still a sugar burner.,,,in which case your symptoms of inflammation would continue according to the Paleo theory. It isn't just for weight control, it is also about controlling inflammation and insulin resistance which has been linked to depression. You should find the research and reasons in these links. (Mark'sdailyapple.com)
http://www.marksdail.../#axzz24OxTZvd9
http://www.marksdail.../#axzz24OykUZ00

Of course depression isn't always only related to diet and vitamin deficiencies, so make sure you talk to your Dr. if things do not improve or you feel worse.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#22 AmyNColorado

AmyNColorado

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thanks, I actually take B12 shots monthly, an omega 3 and a vitamin D pill regularly, doesn't seem to help. I eat fruit...is that the type of sugar you're talking about? I eat at least one fat serving per meal such as avocado or olive oil. I'm an active mtn biker, climber and hiker and eat alot of nuts as well on the trail! He mentions:

"If you can handle exercising without having to carb-load, you’re probably fat-adapted. If you can workout effectively in a fasted state, you’re definitely fat-adapted."

Yes, I can, I work out every morning before eating, I don't get ravenously hungry and cranky, its more of a low laying mood all day and angry with my dog mostly! He gets the brunt of my attitude! Its sad.

Read more: http://www.marksdail.../#ixzz24P5Kgzb7

#23 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

B12 is only one of the B vitamins, and I would highly recommend that you take a Co-Enzyme Vitamin B Complex, because ALL B vitamins are extremely important. If you're not absorbing B12, you may be having absorption problems with some or all of the rest of the B vitamins.

#24 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Ok, so interestingly enough I think my body is telling me that Primal is the way to go.....I've been pretty good at following the diet for the last week except for some non-raw cheese here and there. My sister came back from her vacation today and we all went to PF Changs for lunch. I figured one day of cheating a bit couldn't be that bad and I will go back to strictly Primal tomorrow. I had the gluten-free Mongolian Beef and the lettuce wraps (with a little bit of brown rice) and it was fantastic. Now my abdomen is feeling pretty sensitive but its definitely not a glutening (I know that because I don't look 8 months pregnant right now). Just a lot of gas and feeling uncomfortable. I'm convinced now that my body absolutely loved the Primal diet and its trying to steer me back to it. To add onto that, this past week of being Primal was the most comfortable week for me, no pain or gas, I felt fabulous.

How fast do people develop other food sensitivities after going gluten free? I've been gluten free since May and could basically eat any gluten-free free food I wanted to - including the muffins, pastas, corn, soy, etc. Could I also be developing other sensitivities now? What are your sensitivity symptoms? I never had this before so I just wanted to get some feedback.

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#25 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Paleo/primal sure sounds interesting, although right now I am starting on the Eat-Clean diet, which allows some grains and starchy carbs.

Can any of you share what you eat in a day, ie. your menu plan? I'm curious how people apply this to their real lives. Thanks in advance!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#26 AmyNColorado

AmyNColorado

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Does anyone else feel like they eat ALOT compared to others? I think its maybe my activity level but I feel like my plates of veggies are huge!! I don't mind at all but people look at me funny sometimes!

#27 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Paleo/primal sure sounds interesting, although right now I am starting on the Eat-Clean diet, which allows some grains and starchy carbs.

Can any of you share what you eat in a day, ie. your menu plan? I'm curious how people apply this to their real lives. Thanks in advance!

Breakfast is bacon and eggs or steak and eggs or just steak. Unless I have no time...then it's last night's leftover meat and veg.
Lunch is Roasted Turkey Breast or Roast chicken. With a salad if I feel like it.
Dinner is a big serving of cooked veggies and usually Steak, Roast Beef, Chicken, or Turkey.

We always keep a pizza made with meat for the crust rolled out thin like dough and baked then loaded with tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni, veggies, mushrooms and more cheese. Then we nuke a slice for a snack.

The menu doesn't change much but we don't get tired of it either.
--Hippocrates

#28 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Does anyone else feel like they eat ALOT compared to others? I think its maybe my activity level but I feel like my plates of veggies are huge!! I don't mind at all but people look at me funny sometimes!

I eat way more than I used to that is for sure! I do believe I could eat a whole chicken by myself without too much work! :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Hippocrates

#29 ChristineWas

ChristineWas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Can any of you share what you eat in a day, ie. your menu plan?

Breakfast: This meal is tricky, because I can't handle eggs right now and vegetables are hard to eat in the morning when they aren't in an omlet or other egg dish. Our normal breakfast is...
- 1.5-2 high quality chicken sausages (no nitrates, no sweeteners except a little fruit juice, etc.)
- blueberries and pecans
- whatever vegetable I can make myself eat in the morning

Lunch: leftovers or...
- burger (just the meat) or chicken
- salad (we prepare a huge salad every few days to use for meals) or cooked vegetables

Dinner: we are currently experimenting with various paleo recipes that incorporate meat and a lot of vegetables. My current favorite is spaghetti squash with a homemade meaty, vegetable-loaded marinara sauce. We've also been eating slow cooker recipes that involve plenty of meat and vegetables.

Does anyone else feel like they eat ALOT compared to others?

Definitely.

#30 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

For breakfast I make this incredibly yummy crust-less quiche that consists of eggs, cheese, canadian bacon, and spinach cooked in olive oil. I'll make a huge tin of it on a Sunday (takes no more than 30 mins to make) and then I take pieces to eat at work all though the week. Or I'll make a batch of hard boiled eggs, bring a few of those, a cheese stick and eat that. Some apples and almond butter makes a great snack too...

For lunch I'm always having leftovers from dinner the night before. Or I'll cook half of a ham steak and bring that in to work. But I'll also bring baby carrots with hummus, or bell peppers to snack on..tuna makes a good lunch for me too

I try to rotate dinners now as much as possible so I dont get sick of it. I will have any of the following -
Grilled chicken
Grass-fed steak
Pork Loin with sauerkraut (not sure if sauerkraut is completely primal, but I figured its cabbage so it cant be that bad and I need those bacteria to help digest food)
Since I have a little bit of a hard time with veggies, I boil cauliflower and then whip it in a food processor - I'll add garlic and butter to make a replacement of mashed potatoes
Baby arugula salad

Since I dont have a huge palate for veggies it does get a bit boring at times, but feeling much better combined with losing weight keeps me so motivated!!! How is the Eat Clean diet??

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: