59 replies to this topic

#46 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yeah conventional wisdom isn't with us yet. It's still SAD (Standard American Diet) that has people believing they can't survive without grain. I know the drill -plenty of whole grains. Yeah,um... not for all of us. I feel like crap on plenty of whole grains and I need naps too. Tell your personal trainer to check out Mark's Daily Apple and you will see many who are not Celiac eat this way too. Some fitness trainers and coaches are starting to tell their athletes not to eat grain and especially not gluten grains.

My son is in wrestling but his coach still tells the kids to eat plenty of whole grains. My son can't because I cook Paleo and have for almost a year now. I told him if he wanted to eat grains he has to get his own job because I won't waste my money on them except for treats. I do allow chocolate for the indulgences and a rare loaf of gluten free bread for a splurge and he gets to eat rice once in a while, but no way would we be eating them every day...or even every week.

Guess what happened? This year my son's muscle mass has grown tremendously and his strength has increased so much that he is now at the front of the pack when they are working out and running. That never happened before he went Paleo (not by his choice). He has a perfect male physique now and admires himself in the mirror. He is absolutely shocked at the change. He still "doesn't believe" in the Paleo diet...and he still wants to believe what the coach tells them, but he can't argue with the results he is getting. I'm the cook round here...so he thrives on it anyway! I just tell him it works whether you believe in it or not. :D

Funny enough, while I make no claims to primal/paleo I eat few grains (except when I hit the Tostitos crack)...I've found I highly prefer baking (when I do it anymore) with coconut flour and almond flour. Or no flour (chocolate needs no help).

My main grain consumption was in sweets...and now that I've changed those...I rarely eat grains. And I don't miss them. Come to think of it, I had to force myself to eat most of them before gluten-free...wonder if my body's way of discouraging gluten was to not develop a taste for grains?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Oh I know vegetables and fruits have plenty of carbs in a different way, I just didn't know how healthy it was to eliminate the grains and what not. My personal trainer has always told me that's a big no-no! I've still thought about trying though as I am feeling quite crappy having gone gluten free :) This was interesting to read and almost has me convinved!!

I thought I needed carbs too (and I loved them so much) but I cant tell you how much better I feel when I dont have them in my system. I was feeling so crappy after about 2 months of going gluten free and its amazing to go more than several hours without a gurgle or cramp or gas. My family saw how much better I was doing and started Primal themselves. If you're almost convinced, I'd say give it a try!!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#48 ChristineWas

ChristineWas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

I cant tell you how much better I feel when I dont have them in my system. I was feeling so crappy after about 2 months of going gluten free and its amazing to go more than several hours without a gurgle or cramp or gas.

This has been my experience, as well. I haven't been off grains for long, but I have felt MUCH better without them.

#49 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

I thought I needed carbs too (and I loved them so much) but I cant tell you how much better I feel when I dont have them in my system. I was feeling so crappy after about 2 months of going gluten free and its amazing to go more than several hours without a gurgle or cramp or gas. My family saw how much better I was doing and started Primal themselves. If you're almost convinced, I'd say give it a try!!!

Well after my weekend of barely being able to get off the couch from being so sick, I will probably be headed that direction asap!!
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#50 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Well after my weekend of barely being able to get off the couch from being so sick, I will probably be headed that direction asap!!

It definitely makes you feel "lighter" if that makes sense. I didnt feel weighed down like I did after eating a bowl of brown rice or rice pasta. I hope it works for you! Let us know how you're doing and if it helps!!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#51 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

It definitely makes you feel "lighter" if that makes sense. I didnt feel weighed down like I did after eating a bowl of brown rice or rice pasta. I hope it works for you! Let us know how you're doing and if it helps!!!

After another horrible day yesterday, and a rough start today, I am officially paleo/primal! I'll keep you all posted, I truly hope this is the answer for me and my body. :)
gluten-free 8/14/12

#52 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

I feel stronger and "lighter" mentally and physically now.
I hope this makes you feel better. Anyway, it's worth the ole college try!
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#53 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

After another horrible day yesterday, and a rough start today, I am officially paleo/primal! I'll keep you all posted, I truly hope this is the answer for me and my body. :)

I have a feeling that it's going to make you feel a whole lot better - you just seem to hear/feel your body telling you "Ok, THIS is what I wanted all along!!" Remember to put butter on everything!!! (Thats the most fun part for me) - I'll add you as a friend and let me (and the rest of us) know how you're doing!!! I give it three days and you'll be back on here with a new outlook on life.... :)

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#54 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

I have a feeling that it's going to make you feel a whole lot better - you just seem to hear/feel your body telling you "Ok, THIS is what I wanted all along!!" Remember to put butter on everything!!! (Thats the most fun part for me) - I'll add you as a friend and let me (and the rest of us) know how you're doing!!! I give it three days and you'll be back on here with a new outlook on life.... :)

I sure hope so!! Butter...that makes me laugh, as I have never put butter on anything! Maybe I'll try it!! :) I am also going to call my doctor today to make sure there isn't something else they should test me for...better safe than sorry! Thank you for the encouragement, looking forward to this! Day 2, here I come!! :P
gluten-free 8/14/12

#55 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

Yes! Butter your steak too!
haha!
The only thing I don't put butter on is bacon.
Bacon needs no help. :D
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#56 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yes! Butter your steak too!
haha!
The only thing I don't put butter on is bacon.
Bacon needs no help. :D

Too funny!! I've made it (almost) through 2 days...my only complaint is I constantly feel hungry, and have low energy (which unfortunately is nothing new)...perhaps tomorrow will be better!
gluten-free 8/14/12

#57 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Too funny!! I've made it (almost) through 2 days...my only complaint is I constantly feel hungry, and have low energy (which unfortunately is nothing new)...perhaps tomorrow will be better!

From my understanding you can eat as much as you want on the primal diet - a handful of nuts (cashews, pistachios) will fill me up and hold me over for a while. I always keep cheese, pumpkin seeds, beef jerky, and apple slices with me too when I'm at work. How much are you eating? Do you think you're not eating enough since you are still healing from your not-so-good couple of days last week?

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#58 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

From my understanding you can eat as much as you want on the primal diet - a handful of nuts (cashews, pistachios) will fill me up and hold me over for a while. I always keep cheese, pumpkin seeds, beef jerky, and apple slices with me too when I'm at work. How much are you eating? Do you think you're not eating enough since you are still healing from your not-so-good couple of days last week?

I feel like I eat ALL day!! :P I'm a big snacker, so I find myself munching non-stop, on something! I brought more chicken for lunch today in hopes that it fills me up longer than what I had yesterday. I also had horrible stomach aches and D yesterady morning so that didn't help feeling so hungry. I'm giving up cheese for a while to see if that is a culprit in the bad days...I'm hoping not, as I could live on the stuff. Today will be better!! :D
gluten-free 8/14/12

#59 Jennmc31

Jennmc31

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

I'm doing it too :) Really no other way to eat and once goal weight is reached it's an 80/20 deal. Raw milk is illegal here in Ohio too but we have raw milk cheese and as long as it's grass fed that's what I get. I buy pasteurized but Non homogonized grass fed milk. It tastes no different and is much better for you. Some people use some dairy and a lot use none. I think it's individual.

#60 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'm doing it too :) Really no other way to eat and once goal weight is reached it's an 80/20 deal. Raw milk is illegal here in Ohio too but we have raw milk cheese and as long as it's grass fed that's what I get. I buy pasteurized but Non homogonized grass fed milk. It tastes no different and is much better for you. Some people use some dairy and a lot use none. I think it's individual.

I do crave chips and tortillas though...the rest is easy, because it's how I would normally eat anyway! I don't drink much milk so that's no loss...just the cheese. After I get adjusted to this and see what the results are, I'll throw cheese back in - maybe even try to find a "raw" healthier brand!
gluten-free 8/14/12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: