This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheesecake Factory

grantschoep

grantschoep Contributor

Lately, I've been hammering every restaraunt around here, chains especially, for gluten-free info. Hopeing they all figure us out, and how many there are.

Anyways, here is the official reply from The cheesecake factory. Now, if I could just get "The Old Spagetti Factory" to give me gluten-free noodles, I would fall over...

Ok, here goes the reply, I am a bit worried about Cross contam. as anywhere that "bakes" things has lots of bad flour.

Begin quote

"

Thank you for your interest in The Cheesecake Factory. Our goal is to provide our guests

the best information possible.

Although we prepare dishes that we do not add wheat, oats, rye or barley, our concern is

that some sub-ingredients may contain trace amounts of gluten. In addition, we do not

have separate cooking equipment to prepare flour and no-flour based items.

We understand that sensitivities can vary. Our managers will be happy to help select

dishes that we do not add wheat, oats, rye or barley however, because our customer's

health is our primary concern, we recommend non-marinated vegetables, chicken, steak,

shrimp or fish pan cooked as opposed to grilled.

Celiac friendly dessert: The only cheesecake that does not contain wheat flour is our

Godiva Cheesecake. I have provided the ingredients for the Godiva Cheesecake below so

that you can determine if it is safe to eat. We also must caution that all of our cheesecakes

are produced in the same facility and we therefore cannot guarantee against cross

contamination.

Godiva Cheesecake

INGREDIENTS: Cream (Cream, Mono & Diglycerides, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan),

Cream Cheese (Pasteurized Milk and Cream, Cream Culture, Salt, Xanthan and/or Carob

Bean and/or Guar Gums), Semisweet Chocolate (Sugar, Chocolate Processed with Alkali,

Cocoa Butter, Cocoa, Butter Oil, Soy Lecithin, Milk, Vanillin - an artificial flavor,

Natural Flavor), Eggs, Sugar, Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Skim

Milk, Milk, Butter Oil, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin - an Artificial Flavor, Natural Flavor),

Cultured Sour Cream (Cultured Grade A Pasteurized Sour Cream, Non Fat Milk,

Enzyme), Chocolate Liquor, Butter, Water, Chocolate Snow Powder (Dextrose, Cocoa

Powder, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Gelatin, Vanillin (Artificial Flavor).

We appreciate you thinking of The Cheesecake Factory and hope that you will be able to

join us for a wonderful meal. .

"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Well, that was a very polite and thorough letter. I like them even if I can't take my son to eat there! :)

Guest nini

One of my daughter's friends from school Chloe's dad is a Chef at the Cheesecake Factory, I had an opportunity to discuss the dietary requirements with him and he didn't recommend eating there. He said knowing what he knows about the kitchen environment, the risk of cross contamination is too great. Even if they try to be very careful, there is just too much that is prepared in the kitchen that is full of gluten. And as busy as they get there is no way to ensure a completely gluten-free meal.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
One of my daughter's friends from school Chloe's dad is a Chef at the Cheesecake Factory, I had an opportunity to discuss the dietary requirements with him and he didn't recommend eating there. He said knowing what he knows about the kitchen environment, the risk of cross contamination is too great. Even if they try to be very careful, there is just too much that is prepared in the kitchen that is full of gluten. And as busy as they get there is no way to ensure a completely gluten-free meal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bummer...I was getting excited about the Godiva Cheescake. :(

Cheesecake is my favorite desert....hopefully one of these days I'll have some again. :)

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Bummer...I was getting excited about the Godiva Cheescake.  :(

Cheesecake is my favorite desert....hopefully one of these days I'll have some again.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=1134&sid=91hH9H1FZ4zS9-D-40105172388.45

You can make your own. :P

Jnkmnky Collaborator

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-40105172388.45

I guess you can't add color and expect the link to work. <_<

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I guess you can't add color and expect the link to work. <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sure looked nice in red though. :lol:

Thanks for the link! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

uclangel422 Apprentice

I actually ate the cheesecake and it was unbelievable. They do not make the cheesecakes at the location, at least that was what i was told, they actually are sent in everyday in freezer trucks. I asked for them to make sure they used a fresh knife to cut it with and i had no problems.

Dan Newbie

What is thecrust made of?

uclangel422 Apprentice

the crust is a flourless chocolate cake, more like a flourless brownie really. Very dense crust.

Glutenmom Newbie

The manager at the Cheesecake Factory in Providence, RI was very helpful. But the spaghetti noodle cuddling with the "steamed" broccoli florets did not inspire confidence that this is a safe place for a celiac to eat.

If the noodle hadn't been there we'd never have known that the kitchen didn't steam the broccoli like the manager told them, and instead boiled it in the pasta water.

Its never completely safe to eat out.

• 4 weeks later...
happygirl Collaborator

Just thought I'd add my GREAT first experience at the Cheesecake Factory.

The manager sat down and talked with me about what I could and couldn't have, and was very thorough. I had the Baja Chicken Tacos and they were WONDERFUL! Their sour cream had modified food starch so I didn't have that....but everything else on it was "naturally" gluten free. He spoke with the kitchen to let them know, had them use clean utensils, etc. I had a delicious dinner, the staff and manager were very attentive, and I didn't get sick at all (and if there was any cross-contamination, my body would have let me know rather soon!!!!!!!!!)

What a great night! :D

minamoe Newbie

I have a crustless cheesecake recipe if anyone is interested...I know the crust is the best part, but it's better than nothing and it's a Weight Watchers recipe, so it's less guilt. lol It's really, really good, I ate it before I was diagnosed.

• 1 year later...
t-bone Newbie

I ate at the Cheesecake Factory today and I had mild issues. I'm not extremely sensitive to gluten insofar as it doesn't always manifest itself, but I can tell if I've been "glutened" more often than not. If it happens badly, I know it for certain. When it happens mildly, I can usually tell with the minor symptoms. With that said, I experienced mild symptoms after my dinner. I had a slight stomach ache and then an interesting experience on the porcelain throne about 30 minutes later.

I had a burger with no bun, no seasoning, etc. and their steamed veggies (I had ordered spinach sauteed in olive oil). I had explained everything to the waitress but they were so incredibly busy that she forgot, so she brought me the veggies. I also had the Godiva Cheesecake. I dunno what it was, but I definitely got glutened. It was only mild, though. I might go back, but I'd definitely be sure to talk to the manager directly and have him assure me that he'd see to my food's preparation.

ladybugpumpkin Contributor

earlier this week i posted the official repy i got from the old spaghetti factory, if you're interested. it's on this thread...maybe a page or two back.

• 2 years later...
latortuga Newbie

I would avoid anything Godiva according to their website:

Open Original Shared Link

Quoting site:

"Does your chocolate contain gluten?

"ALL of our products including solid chocolate pieces may contain gluten. Any person with a gluten allergy should NOT consume ANY of our products."

• 2 months later...
Marie2375 Newbie

The manager at our local cheesecake factory has Celiac. She said that the Godiva cake is NOT gluten-free. I think she said that the pan is dusted with wheat flour.

• 2 months later...
LkGrgGrrl Newbie

Awww, I wish I could eat everything at the Cheesecake Factory. I'm hyper sensitive so based on all of your replies, I won't be going there.

LkGrgGrrl Newbie
I have a crustless cheesecake recipe if anyone is interested...I know the crust is the best part, but it's better than nothing and it's a Weight Watchers recipe, so it's less guilt. lol It's really, really good, I ate it before I was diagnosed.

For anyone who wants to make a gluten-free cheesecake WITH the Graham Cracker Crust, I recommend kinnikinnick S'moreables. They are Gluten, Wheat, Dairy and Casein Free and taste exactly like I remember Graham Crackers tasting before my diagnosis 3 years ago. THEY ARE DELISH and will make a most authentic tasting crust!

• 2 weeks later...
brendygirl Community Regular

I agree that Godiva is not gluten free. :(

HOwever, I've eaten several times at the Cheesecake Factory and had no problems. I get the tacos without sauce or the seared tuna.

I ask tons of questions and specify that I have many food "allergies".

Archived