5 replies to this topic

#1 ChristineWas

ChristineWas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

I could not find current info on Barh & Body Works products, so I contacted them. This is the response I got:

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us in regards to the products that we offer. It is wonderful to know that you enjoy our selection and assortment.

We don't have a list of gluten free products; however, we are happy to provide you with the ingredients for any product we offer. We cannot make any guarantees that gluten does not appear in trace amounts due to the processing of other ingredients and 2nd or 3rd generation by-products (the ingredients used to make the ingredients). We always recommend that you check with your physician prior to using any product you may be concerned with. We have listed some ingredients to watch out for below.

Gluten includes:

Wheat: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Triticum Vulgare
Oat: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Avena Sativa
Barley: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Hordeum Distichon
Rye: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Secale Cereale
Soy: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Glycine Soja

Sincerely,

Holly Patterson
Sr.  Customer Relations Representative
Bath & Body Works

Does this mean I pretty much need to stop using their products? I have only just begun to take seriously the fact that I need to avoid gluten in things I don't intentionally put in my mouth. I have been getting sick for several months apart from obvious "glutening" experiences that I can tie to a food (generally cross-contamination) source.

I appreciate any input. I am still relatively new at avoiding gluten like the plague. I was diagnosed in January.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

I could not find current info on Barh & Body Works products, so I contacted them. This is the response I got:

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us in regards to the products that we offer. It is wonderful to know that you enjoy our selection and assortment.

We don't have a list of gluten free products; however, we are happy to provide you with the ingredients for any product we offer. We cannot make any guarantees that gluten does not appear in trace amounts due to the processing of other ingredients and 2nd or 3rd generation by-products (the ingredients used to make the ingredients). We always recommend that you check with your physician prior to using any product you may be concerned with. We have listed some ingredients to watch out for below.

Gluten includes:

Wheat: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Triticum Vulgare
Oat: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Avena Sativa
Barley: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Hordeum Distichon
Rye: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Secale Cereale
Soy: or any ingredients containing the genus species name Glycine Soja

Sincerely,

Holly Patterson
Sr.  Customer Relations Representative
Bath & Body Works

Does this mean I pretty much need to stop using their products? I have only just begun to take seriously the fact that I need to avoid gluten in things I don't intentionally put in my mouth. I have been getting sick for several months apart from obvious "glutening" experiences that I can tie to a food (generally cross-contamination) source.

I appreciate any input. I am still relatively new at avoiding gluten like the plague. I was diagnosed in January.

I had several Bath and Body Works products here. I've gotten quite a few as gifts.
Just a couple of weeks ago my hubby and I went to block sales where we were walking all day. When we got home I was exhausted. My feet were dirty from wearing sandals and I was too tired to even take a shower.
My hubby wanting to be helpful (and score a few bonus points) ;) offered to wash my feet so I could put them up on the sofa and rest a bit. He got a soapy wash cloth and washed them , then saw a tube of the Bath and Body works lotion in the bathroom. He grabbed it and put a generous squirt in his hand and came back to rub it in.
I was sort of startled and asked him what it was. He went and got the tube and started reading it to me...and said..oh no! I've gotta wash that off you. It had wheat germ oil.
I have no idea if it would have caused a problem..but I won't take the chance.
Check any products you have..they are usually pretty good about labeling. Call about anything you're not sure about.
Why do they smell so wonderful? LOL :rolleyes:

#3 ChristineWas

ChristineWas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:17 AM

Haha. Sounds like your husband is a great catch. ;)

Thanks for the input. I'm generally a big fan of erring on the side of caution. When I'm at home, I don't wash my hands as frequently as I do in public. So, if I touch something covered in gluteny lotion and use the same hand to hold an apple or touch my mouth, I could be in trouble. And I can't seem to break the bad habit of always having my hands in/on my face.

Anyway... I think I am just dragging my feet because I will have to clear out a lot of the otherwise awesome products in my bathroom now. Thanks for encouraging me to choose wisdom.

#4 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Their antibacterial lotion had wheat germ oil too. I have to read their labels carefully. People could use that on their hands and then eat!

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

For hands I use Vaseline intensive rescue repairing moisture --- fragrance free, hypoallergenic. Go to www.vaseline.com for ingredients list. There are no wheat, barley or rye ingredients in it. I love the way it works.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

You can doctor up almost any good unscented lotion or oil using essential oils. Just an idea...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: