2 replies to this topic

#1 kingman

kingman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

I was diagnosed celiac as an infant. I had seemingly built up a tolerance but in my 20s things started to get bad. I have dermatitis on my face and terrible inflammation in my joints and in my bowels (all on the right side).
I had unrelated back /neck problems for years and finally went to see if I could get some relief. After 2 MRI scans the doc said the biggest culprit is a herniated disc in my neck. She said she needed to do an outpatient procedure but in the meantime she could do trigger point injections with cortisone.
The injections into my back had a fantastic side effect on my inflammation. It is the ONLY relief I have had in 15 plus years including going gluten free.
Unfortunately it wears off in a few weeks.
Has anyone else had this experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back, disc degeration, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome and fibromyalgia. So, I understand pain. :( I did get several rounds of injections but they did nothing for my pain whatsoever. But that is partially because there are so many trigger and tender points on my body and I had to pick and choose the worst. How can I choose 5-10 sites when most of my body is riddled with pain? But I am thinking of giving it a try again, at least for the very worst sites. I'd be interested if you try it again, too. If so, I sincerely hope you find lasting relief! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 Kiwiwio

Kiwiwio

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

I used to be a professional athlete and had a ruptured disc in my cervical spine. After one round of cortisone, feeling returned to my hand and the pain subsided but never stopped completely. I recommend nightly (light) muscle relaxers and IBuprofein several times in the day (unless you start to vomit blood). You can look into surgical options but I have had the fortune to speak to some of the best surgeons and sports doctors in the world from France, USA, Germany and New Zealand and the information I received from them and my fellow athletes with the same injury was AVOID surgery, if you can. Also, you can try stretches and rehab. Once you become gluten free, you may find the swelling goes down and life is more tolerable- I did.

I was diagnosed celiac as an infant. I had seemingly built up a tolerance but in my 20s things started to get bad. I have dermatitis on my face and terrible inflammation in my joints and in my bowels (all on the right side).
I had unrelated back /neck problems for years and finally went to see if I could get some relief. After 2 MRI scans the doc said the biggest culprit is a herniated disc in my neck. She said she needed to do an outpatient procedure but in the meantime she could do trigger point injections with cortisone.
The injections into my back had a fantastic side effect on my inflammation. It is the ONLY relief I have had in 15 plus years including going gluten free.
Unfortunately it wears off in a few weeks.
Has anyone else had this experience?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: