1 reply to this topic

#1 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

My son was dx almost 10 years ago, and has been under the care of the same group (and basically the same doctor) at Children's Pittsburgh all that time. He has an additional dx that necessitates immunosuppressive meds and monitoring. Anyway, son wants to stop driving 6.5 hrs round trip for the checkups twice a year (it will be particularly hard to schedule now that he is in college) and I get that eventually we'll need to find an adult GI, anyway.

Asked the peds GI and he really only wanted to recommend another Pgh doc, which hardly solves the problems. So how do I find another doctor? I've looked at the major practices in my area, and none have anyone who specifically is interested in celiac. We are not far from Hershey, but he was seen there at the very beginning and we are profoundly not-impressed with their care. Can you interview doctors? Schedule a visit to see what they know? The peds gi is a momma's security blanket and I'm hanging onnnnnnnnn :)
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

:) I would do the same as you do :)
Try calling the Celiac Disease Foundation for a referral! Yes, interview doctors! I even offer to pay out of pocket just because I want really good care...
It's exciting that he is taking his medical care seriously, so that is great news!
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: