28 replies to this topic

#16 celiac2

celiac2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your replys. It always helps. It sounds like alot of us still have abnormal bowel habits even after going gluten-free. Does it ever return to normal or are celiacs always a little jacked up?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jordanandnadia

jordanandnadia

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:09 PM

I don't know about normal per say, but my depression, anxiety, bowel movements and a lot of other things have gotten so much better in the past year, i can't even begin to tell you guys.
They had me on 4 different kinds of anti-deps and anti-anxiety pills before i was diagnosed and i haven't been on any since then, and i feel great. Still get bouts of depression though, but they seem far and few between now, so that always helps...

I hope everyone is having a great week. :D

~ N ~
Nadia

gluten-free since January 2003

#18 irish

irish

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:52 AM

I get really depressed when I see my friends going out and I can't. When I do go out it is only for a short time. When I decide to go out, I usually do not eat that day because I am afraid of getting dirrehea. I figure I need to socialize so it is better to socialize then to eat. Since I work nights I only eat one meal a day that at 10:00Am. I do not eat anything till the next day. I am so happy I have this message board. Thanks for listening to me. Loretta

#19 SuJ

SuJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:39 AM

Hi - I, too, wonder "what is normal now?" I'm new to the message board but not so new to celiac disease. My mom was diagnosed in the late 70's - what a tough time she had. No one knew ANYTHING about gluten - and there were very few gluten free products... and I'm sure we(my family) were not very supportive. :(

Now I have a quasi-diagnosis. My blood tests - EGA was positive - and my biopsy was" suggestive of sprue" but at the time I had had a severe reaction to some rheumatoid arthritis drugs that had destroyed my epithelial tissue both outside(my face was all blisters) and in(wicked diarrhea). I went off my gluten-free diet over Christmas and actually had very few symptoms but now yikes NOW my digestive tract is going haywire... I, too, wonder what is normal in the way of bowel movements I ALWAYS have diarrhea - whether I am gluten-free or not. :angry:

How long do I have to be gluten-free before the diarrhea stops!!? Also, I have no bloating and no dermatitis.

November was fun for me. I had surgery and needed to take Vicadan(sp?) for the pain. Since these narcotics are constipating I had very normal bowel movements... it was GLORIOUS!! :rolleyes:

Well I am babbling - but I would like to know - does anyone become diarrhea free when they are gluten free - or am I stuck with this forever.

Can anyone relate?

Well, thanks for listening. God Bless - Su

#20 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:08 AM

Su, how long have you been gluten-free? It can take several months for the intestines to heal, depending on the degree of damage that had been done. Also, are you dairy-free for now? Lactose intolerance is practically guaranteed in a recovering celiac, and you may even be sensitive to casein (a milk protein). I would try eliminating dairy completely for two weeks and see what happens. If the diarrhea stops, you could try taking LactAid with SMALL amounts of dairy to see if you can tolerate that.

Stacie, I can't remember if you are dairy-free, or whether you have been tested for microscopic colitis (a condition that is independent of celiac disease but triggered by the same gene). If you have been having unremitting diarrhea for almost a year and a half, something is most likely still not right!

I hope you both have a great day!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#21 JsBaby_G

JsBaby_G

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:14 AM

Jacque

I've been of the antidepressants as well. I find I only get depressed in the winter I think it's the lack of sun. I can't even understand why I get depressed, but I figure hey with all the crap I have to deal with I'm entitled to get down right bitchy once in awhile. I hate being dependant on meds so I'll do anything to help me through it.

;)
Crystal

#22 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:55 AM

Sarah:

I was tested through Enterolab and did not elect for the dairy testing. My stomach pain has improved but still have diarrhea, usually 1-2 times a day. Only have normal BM maybe once a month!!!

The depression and anxiety is what I am concerned with now, I guess that just takes a while to get back to normal.

Thank you

#23 midnightjewel40

midnightjewel40

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:19 PM

:D Hi there yes the depression is part of it too if you need to take tablet then take them they will help with things nobody knows you better than you dont feel as though you have failed (as other people will make you feel) i felt all these feelings too and still do some days i just want to curl up and be alone (most days) but i just keep going i must admit i dont stand no rubbish from anyone anymore but i am entitled to that now i have grown up children and they help me big time
there are a lot of celiac disease problems but coming here and chatting to everyone makes me feel fine i am normal hahahahahahahahahahahah (if you met me wouldnt say that) hope this helps other people who feel the same way its nice to chat to people who CAN relate <_<
Hope you have a great day
Jacque.
my 15 year old and i are both celiacs

#24 SuJ

SuJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:15 PM

To - seeking wholeness

Thanks for the advice. :) I haven't really stuck to the gluten-free diet very well - denial I think. So about once a month when I go out to breakfast I usually order slices of the homemade bread, etc. Also, over the holidays I went off my diet big time - denial again. Up until recently I was not that badly affected. But now I am sticking to the diet 100% and I will for several months. Generally I minimize dairy but I will follow your suggestion and drop it completely.

I'm pretty good at baking for myself and I have come up with some pretty good recipes. As long as I make sure that the pantry is full of gluten-free foods I will do fine. I lead a pretty active life(I'm a personal trainer) so I'm hungry often. Does anybody have any suggestions for good energy/protein bars - either store bought or recipes - I would love some ideas.

Feel well!!! Su J

#25 sadams

sadams

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:12 PM

Has everyone seen this study on depression and celiac disease?
http://www.celiac.co...ml?p_prodid=144

#26 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:23 AM

Very helpful link, Thank you. :)

#27 coveowner

coveowner

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:48 PM

I have only been diagnosed four years but have had diarrhea for 40 years with no known cause. ( lots of doctors guessed at a cause, stress, cancer, etc. !!!!!!!) However, I have never been depressed , although was very anemic and was very thin,. I think the fact that I have always taken lots of vitamins and supplements was what kept me alive and kicking. I usually have a lot of energy when awake but can sleep 9 hours at night.

I never left the house for work, etc without taking two emodium or a generic anti-diarrheal. It kept me from feeling anxious about being too far from a bathroom!!! You might see if this helps you.

Since I retired from teaching art, I stay very busy with my crafts, etc, which I sell at shows and this keeps me totally occupied and I really never worry about myself.

The last time I visited my mother, I asked her if she would be offended if I took over her kitchen and she said that she would be offended it I didn't. No problem!!!

Think happy thoughts and stay busy.

Rose

#28 alexa11219

alexa11219

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:15 PM

Several weeks after I went gluten-free, my bowel movements got normal with a rear exception. And I used to have such severe diarrhea that sometimes I failed to reach the bathroom in my apartment (3 to 4 yard distance!). This expectation that you won't make it is such an embarrasment! I also used to be depressed for many years, when I had no knowledge of existance of such a disease as gluten intolerance, many years on meds. Now, it's OK, though from time to time I have very mild relapses. Generally, now I feel really good (I don't cheat on my diet at all). I don't consider myself as a sick person. I just have a special diet. Who does not now? Everybody is on some kind of diet. Mine is gluten-free. So what? Well, I still have a problem. I'm single, 54, it is a problem to find a boyfriend at this age, especially when you are looking for a serious long-term relationship. On several occasions, when men were about to take me out on the first date and I told them about my gluten-free problem, I never heard from them again. In all the other aspects my life is as good as never before.
Alexa

#29 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:53 AM

Alexa, If you never heard from them again, it's their loss. You probably wouldn't want a relationship with them anyway. :P Shirley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: