This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Finding It Hard

Ebonyjade93

Ebonyjade93 Rookie

Just wondering if this is normal..

Been gluten free since march and things have improved alot but every now and again I'll get sick, I get nauseated then get sore stomach and feel like I have to go to the toilet all the time, I get D and my stomach is just very sensitive to like tight clothes or any pressure. When I'm not sick I am usually C so who knows what goes on there.

Funny thing is that I have worked out nothing that day could have affected me, so it had to be the day before because I baked gluten free cookies and a pear crumble with alot of dairy in it...

My questions are, could it be dairy? How do you be gluten free and dairy free!! what would I eat!!

Its kinda scary and I don't know what to do, should I see a dietitian? As you can see I am so confused about everything.

I really need some help with all this!! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lil'chefy Apprentice

Just wondering if this is normal..

Been gluten free since march and things have improved alot but every now and again I'll get sick, I get nauseated then get sore stomach and feel like I have to go to the toilet all the time, I get D and my stomach is just very sensitive to like tight clothes or any pressure. When I'm not sick I am usually C so who knows what goes on there.

Funny thing is that I have worked out nothing that day could have affected me, so it had to be the day before because I baked gluten free cookies and a pear crumble with alot of dairy in it...

My questions are, could it be dairy? How do you be gluten free and dairy free!! what would I eat!!

Its kinda scary and I don't know what to do, should I see a dietitian? As you can see I am so confused about everything.

I really need some help with all this!! :(

Like you, I wasn't dairy free at first. I though, whatever, like I am giving that up too! Anyhow, fast forward------> I am basically dairy free now, basically. After you start to feel better w/out the gluten, you want to know what feeling completely better feels like! I have tried all the "milks" and it is my experience that Blue Diamond almond milk is the best. I actually prefer it now, but it took getting used too. I get the original, as it most closely mimicks dairy milk. It doesn't however have any of the protein that dairy milk has; soy milk does. I don't eat soy, as it has so many effects on estrogen( I personally don't think it is safe). I have recently started reincorporating cheese back into my diet, but slowly, and not too much at a time. I never had problems with yogurt, as it comes with the enzymes to digest it included! I choose greek yogurt to make up for the protein lost in almond milk. I use coffee mate in my coffee. The new company SO has just made an almond milk with added protein, however, to date, I have been unable to find it. I have been taking a good quality probiotic since I have been gluten free. I think that helps. Your gut has a lot of healing to do, and is lacking the enzyme lactase, which is at the beginning of your digestive tract. Heal that gut, then slowly add dairy back in, to see if you can handle it---my advice. I am studying to be a dietician, 3rd year, and thus far, this is what I have learned! Good luck; feeling better is better than eating dairy, I promise!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Check the natural foods dairy substitutes place in the store. They now have several milks, almond, rice, coconut are common. I have even seen hemp and hazlenut milks.

My personal favorite is Canned coconut milk. I can use it,guar gum, and sweetener to make a mock cream.

I can make my own cocunut milk. I put 4 cups of water in the blender. Add 1/4 cup almond meal flour. That is all I usually do, but one could add salt or sweetener.

DT

Ebonyjade93 Rookie

Thank you both :)

I'm going to go dairy free for sure, just had another bad turn, woke up with the worst pains in my stomach!!

Can't do it anymore, and like you said lil'chefy, I want to know what it feels like being 100% better, I am so much better already but just sometimes I have issues like last night.

I will definitely have to try almond milk, I have tried rice milk and soy milk before and I actually love them, so thats a plus, just not sure what you would use to replace things like eggs (I try to stay away from eggs as much as possible cause I noticed I have issues with them).

I also do not drink anything with caffeine, so no soft drinks, coffee, and I don't even drink tea anymore, just good old water.

I will also have to try coconut milk as I have never tried that before so thanks DT for the info on that.

And hope your enjoying the course lil'chefy :D

Thanks again for both of your replies :)

justlisa Apprentice

Coconut, rice and almond milks. But, I prefer coconut milk when baking.

Ebonyjade93 Rookie

Thanks Justlisa, I will have to try the coconut milk in cooking :)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Thank you both :)

I'm going to go dairy free for sure, just had another bad turn, woke up with the worst pains in my stomach!!

Can't do it anymore, and like you said lil'chefy, I want to know what it feels like being 100% better, I am so much better already but just sometimes I have issues like last night.

I will definitely have to try almond milk, I have tried rice milk and soy milk before and I actually love them, so thats a plus, just not sure what you would use to replace things like eggs (I try to stay away from eggs as much as possible cause I noticed I have issues with them).

I also do not drink anything with caffeine, so no soft drinks, coffee, and I don't even drink tea anymore, just good old water.

I will also have to try coconut milk as I have never tried that before so thanks DT for the info on that.

And hope your enjoying the course lil'chefy :D

Thanks again for both of your replies :)

A friend raises quale for eggs. She said that their eggs have a different protein and some people can tolerate them instead of chicken eggs. I hope you or others can try this out. I hope you have some good indicators if it is a problem. I used Spelt and Kamut for years instead of wheat thinking I was okay, but I wasn't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Solandra Rookie

If you Google "Gluten Free Vegan Recipes" there is SO much stuff... There's a lot of hype about soy, but I think a lot of that is from A. idiots and B. the dairy industry. I eat a little bit of tofu here and there, and I love almond milk the best. You can use flax seed or tofu in place of eggs in baking, by the way. You can make tofu scrambles that are delicious. Anyway, here's a good article on soy and why not to be scared of it:

Open Original Shared Link

And here's some books I like:

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Great-Gluten-Free-Vegan-Eats-Allergy-Free/dp/1592335136/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345862964&sr=8-2&keywords=gluten+free+vegan

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Welcoming-Kitchen-Delicious-Allergen--Gluten-Free/dp/1402771851/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345862964&sr=8-3&keywords=gluten+free+vegan

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/The-Gluten-Free-Vegan-Delicious-Animal-Free/dp/1600940323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345862964&sr=8-1&keywords=gluten+free+vegan

And while not specifically being gluten free, a lot of the recipes can be adapted using gluten free ingredients.

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/The-Happy-Herbivore-Cookbook-Delicious/dp/1935618121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345863005&sr=8-1&keywords=happy+herbivore

I get down, and then I get cookbooks and look online for ideas.. it's like learning how to cook all over again. :)

Javamom Newbie

Glad that I found this thread. I am in agony. I woke up in tears of pain and discouragement today. I thought I was getting better, really! My heartburn was going away. Now, I find that I have traded heartburn for stomach aches instead. I am on day 2.5 of mostly constant stomach ache.

I suspect dairy is the culprit. Oy vey, what will I have to give up next? It makes me dizzy just trying to figure it all out.

See if you agree:

Yesterday I ate greek yogurt (a favorite of mine) for breakfast and coffee with sugar only. I only ate it because I had noticed the day before that if I ate, the pain went away for a while. Halfway through the yogurt, I stopped and threw it away. Couldn't finish it.

For lunch, I ate some cheddar cheese, carrot sticks, nut meal crackers, and a quinoa salad. Within an hour, I was nauseated and almost left work early to go home and lie down. Evntually, the nausea passed away, and my stomach was just a little achy.

Then at dinner I did something really stupid and tried eating at a restaurant that we like. I ordered roast pork, corn tortillas, and (you guessed it) melted cheese sauce (which I am 99% sure had no flour in it). Dinner actually went well, and I didn't have any nausea afterward. But here it is morning time and I have another stomach ache.

Similar experience earlier in the week, I remember drinking 3 small glasses of milk at dinner. I love cold milk.

I think I am going to have to kick dairy. Maybe I'll get it back later?

justlisa Apprentice

Java...

That always sucks...

I had my "inner talk" last night...I am giving up dairy, corn, nightshades and sugars...starting today.

I am going to miss my hot tea with cane sugar (two in the morning to get me moving. My only real sweet.) Losing potatoes, cheese and tomatoes is going to be really tough, too. Sigh.

Well... I really just wanted to say...I feel your pain.

Ebonyjade93 Rookie

Thank you for all your replies!!

I will have to see if I can get my hands on quail eggs, and I'll just keep testing what it might be, if cutting dairy doesn't make a difference, I will cut out soy. Its a pain, but rather that pain than physical pain!!!

I have never tried tofu so I will have to, I bought rice milk yesterday, I love it!! I will try almond milk next and see what that is like ;)

Java I am so sorry you are going through so much pain :( I get the same as you but my heart burn is just acid reflux, no burn :S I thought I was getting better too, but nope my body had other plans!

I love cold milk to Java :( but I think it is time we gave it up for a while, hopefully not forever!! I am determined now to heal my villi, I don't know much about probiotics so any information would be gladly accepted!! I am just trying to learn as much as I can :)

I really truly hope you feel better asap Java, if you want someone to talk to about it all, I'd be glad to, I feel so alone while going through this sometimes and just want someone to talk to that has been through all of it aswell!!

Javamom Newbie

Thanks everyone, yes I am feeling better! I am not sure yet on the dairy, but I am going to keep vigilant in figuring it out. My stomach pains eased yesterday to the point that I felt like I could eat again. I have had just a little dairy since then, and things seem ok. I am trying to be really careful about everything, and paying more attention to CC possibilities.

I think that I am going to try almond milk, regardless. It's something that I have always wanted to try, but could never justify the expense. I think it will be a good thing for me. I may try rice milk too. Wonder which of the milk subs taste the most like milk?

This weekend we went to several health food stores (on the other side of town) to see what they had to offer, and try not to pass-out at the prices! I bought a gluten-free flour mix to try my hand at a loaf of bread. So far, my husband has not liked the pre-baked ones we have tried. I am going to seek out a gastroenterologist (sp?) and see if they can give me a diagnosis. Whether I have celiac or not, I am positive that I feel better without gluten!

Javamom Newbie

I am going to miss my hot tea with cane sugar (two in the morning to get me moving. My only real sweet.) Losing potatoes, cheese and tomatoes is going to be really tough, too. Sigh.

Well... I really just wanted to say...I feel your pain.

I wonder if you could replace the sugar with agave? Not sure, may be ignorance talking here. Thanks, it helps to have people that "know" your pain.

tctwhite Apprentice

Glad that I found this thread. I am in agony. I woke up in tears of pain and discouragement today. I thought I was getting better, really! My heartburn was going away. Now, I find that I have traded heartburn for stomach aches instead. I am on day 2.5 of mostly constant stomach ache.

I suspect dairy is the culprit. Oy vey, what will I have to give up next? It makes me dizzy just trying to figure it all out.

See if you agree:

Yesterday I ate greek yogurt (a favorite of mine) for breakfast and coffee with sugar only. I only ate it because I had noticed the day before that if I ate, the pain went away for a while. Halfway through the yogurt, I stopped and threw it away. Couldn't finish it.

For lunch, I ate some cheddar cheese, carrot sticks, nut meal crackers, and a quinoa salad. Within an hour, I was nauseated and almost left work early to go home and lie down. Evntually, the nausea passed away, and my stomach was just a little achy.

Then at dinner I did something really stupid and tried eating at a restaurant that we like. I ordered roast pork, corn tortillas, and (you guessed it) melted cheese sauce (which I am 99% sure had no flour in it). Dinner actually went well, and I didn't have any nausea afterward. But here it is morning time and I have another stomach ache.

Similar experience earlier in the week, I remember drinking 3 small glasses of milk at dinner. I love cold milk.

I think I am going to have to kick dairy. Maybe I'll get it back later?

Something I noticed right off the bat was the coffee. A lot of people are sensitive to coffee. I am one of them and it makes me so sick. Im a coffee nut and its a huge set back for me. That could be part of your troubles too. Maybe you are having too much dairy. I can only handle so much at the time. And yogurt gets me every time for some crazy reason.

HauntedEyes Rookie

You mentioned having quinoa. That could be the problem ... perhaps it wasn't rinsed well enough? Quinoa has a natural resin coating it that protects the grain from critters. The resin can cause stomach problems if it wasn't rinsed off well.

Javamom Newbie

You mentioned having quinoa. That could be the problem ... perhaps it wasn't rinsed well enough? Quinoa has a natural resin coating it that protects the grain from critters. The resin can cause stomach problems if it wasn't rinsed off well.

Thanks! The quinoa salad was from the deli of a local health food store. I actually did figure out what the culprit was. Believe it or not, it was my vitamin tablets. I keep a log of everything that I put in my mouth, and I was able to backtrack my stomach aches to my supposedly "everything-free-vegan" vitamins. So, I am going to switch to a different brand that I have used in the past.

Archived