Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need Ideas From The Bakers/cooks In Here...

5 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I'm cutting out corn...so... I was hoping someone might have some ideas about making own "tortilla chips".

I was wondering if I could, somehow, take my brown rice tortillas and bake them (or something) and cut into "strips".

I enjoy making my own salsa and would like to find a good replacement for my corn tortilla chips.

Any ideas (easier the better ;) ) would be greatly appreciated.

Ads by Google:

Now THIS is funny! I, the world's worst cook, am responding to a post about cooking! :lol:

I think your best bet would be to cut them into strips/chunks first and then fry them. You could either deep fry them or use a large skillet with enough oil to cover them.

OR, if you can find those Sesmark Rice Thins, even though they are a cracker, I think they would be great with homemade salsa.

Now, as PAYMENT for this sage advice, you could send me a jar of that salsa! :lol: My Mom used to make her own out of the organic peppers and tomatoes that my Dad grew and it completely spoiled me for that store-bought stuff. I haven't had any in years!

Now THIS is funny! I, the world's worst cook, am responding to a post about cooking! :lol:

I think your best bet would be to cut them into strips/chunks first and then fry them. You could either deep fry them or use a large skillet with enough oil to cover them.

OR, if you can find those Sesmark Rice Thins, even though they are a cracker, I think they would be great with homemade salsa.

Now, as PAYMENT for this sage advice, you could send me a jar of that salsa! :lol: My Mom used to make her own out of the organic peppers and tomatoes that my Dad grew and it completely spoiled me for that store-bought stuff. I haven't had any in years!

Thanks for the suggestion...and the smile you put on my face!

I am addicted to homemade salsa! Absolutely addicted...could (and do) eat by the bowl full... ;)

I even put in a wrap...as a garnish for grilled meats. It's my "go to" snack food...

Definitely cut into strips then fry or bake if you want strips. If you fry or bake first, you can just break them into pieces as they will be brittle. I make chips like this all the time and use with hummus, salsa, chutneys, in salads for crunch, Green Goddess dip, roasted red pepper and walnut dip...endless options. Darned addictive, aren't they? :P

Awesome... (duly noted on the "cut first"...thanks guys!)

I'm going to try the baking method tonight... (I don't do much frying so the confidence level is pretty low). Any idea on temp/time for baking?

I'm taking a pack of tortillas out of the freezer right now... :)