Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Need Ideas From The Bakers/cooks In Here...

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 justlisa

justlisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi All!

I'm cutting out corn...so... I was hoping someone might have some ideas about making own "tortilla chips".

I was wondering if I could, somehow, take my brown rice tortillas and bake them (or something) and cut into "strips".

I enjoy making my own salsa and would like to find a good replacement for my corn tortilla chips.

Any ideas (easier the better ;) ) would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Now THIS is funny! I, the world's worst cook, am responding to a post about cooking! :lol:

I think your best bet would be to cut them into strips/chunks first and then fry them. You could either deep fry them or use a large skillet with enough oil to cover them.

OR, if you can find those Sesmark Rice Thins, even though they are a cracker, I think they would be great with homemade salsa.

Now, as PAYMENT for this sage advice, you could send me a jar of that salsa! :lol: My Mom used to make her own out of the organic peppers and tomatoes that my Dad grew and it completely spoiled me for that store-bought stuff. I haven't had any in years!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Now THIS is funny! I, the world's worst cook, am responding to a post about cooking! :lol:

I think your best bet would be to cut them into strips/chunks first and then fry them. You could either deep fry them or use a large skillet with enough oil to cover them.

OR, if you can find those Sesmark Rice Thins, even though they are a cracker, I think they would be great with homemade salsa.

Now, as PAYMENT for this sage advice, you could send me a jar of that salsa! :lol: My Mom used to make her own out of the organic peppers and tomatoes that my Dad grew and it completely spoiled me for that store-bought stuff. I haven't had any in years!

Thanks for the suggestion...and the smile you put on my face!

I am addicted to homemade salsa! Absolutely addicted...could (and do) eat by the bowl full... ;)

I even put in a wrap...as a garnish for grilled meats. It's my "go to" snack food...

#4 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Definitely cut into strips then fry or bake if you want strips. If you fry or bake first, you can just break them into pieces as they will be brittle. I make chips like this all the time and use with hummus, salsa, chutneys, in salads for crunch, Green Goddess dip, roasted red pepper and walnut dip...endless options. Darned addictive, aren't they? :P
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Awesome... (duly noted on the "cut first"...thanks guys!)

I'm going to try the baking method tonight... (I don't do much frying so the confidence level is pretty low). Any idea on temp/time for baking?

I'm taking a pack of tortillas out of the freezer right now... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: