7 replies to this topic

#1 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

I have been very, very strict with my diet. But I went to the doctor last week for bloodwork and they called yesterday to tell me that my white blood cell count had dropped to 2.9 (4.5-11.0).

Of course, I am freaking out and scared that I have something much worse. I never tested positive for celiac disease so I can't help but worry that the numerous doctors I've gone to missed something in the beginning and I have wasted 4 months that could have been used on trying to find the real issue because I felt somewhat better. How do I not worry?
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Folate, zinc, and copper deficiencies can cause this. There are a LOT of things that can cause it actually, but since celiac can cause deficiencies, especially folate deficiency, I would think that might be the reason. See if your doctor agrees with that and maybe he can test you again after you have supplemented for a while?

In the meantime, try not to worry too much. I know how hard that can be. Last year they tested me for leukemia and until I got the negative results back, I was a wreck. But keep in mind that celiac CAN cause all kinds of problems, and that is probably the cause of this. You will be in my prayers. ((((HUGS))))

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thank you so much. I have also been having a lot of MS type symptoms, so there probably is a deficiency issue going on.
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

According to this, folate deficiency CAN cause neurological symptoms: http://www.ncbi.nlm....v/pubmed/958035

B12 deficiency is another possible culprit. Maybe you can get your doctor to test for ALL vitamin and mineral deficiencies. There is a celiac symptom called gluten ataxia that mimics MS. It too might be caused by malabsorbtion of vitamins and minerals.

Now what you have to do is start thinking of the light at the end of the tunnel. You know you have either celiac or gluten sensitivity, so chances are THAT is the cause of your problems. AND, it CAN be fixed! Stay positive. You are getting to the root of the problem and between you, your doctor, and the good folks on this forum, you will find answers and those answers WILL help you regain good health! :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

I have been very, very strict with my diet. But I went to the doctor last week for bloodwork and they called yesterday to tell me that my white blood cell count had dropped to 2.9 (4.5-11.0).

Of course, I am freaking out and scared that I have something much worse. I never tested positive for celiac disease so I can't help but worry that the numerous doctors I've gone to missed something in the beginning and I have wasted 4 months that could have been used on trying to find the real issue because I felt somewhat better. How do I not worry?

Please do not worry about this as low white cell counts are common with autoimmune disease. My white cell counts are always in the 2.5-3.5 range and as long as you aren't constantly sick, it probably will not be a problem. I have had low counts for 30 years and rarely get sick. This could be another clue for you that you do have Celiac. Celiac causes a number of wonky blood counts so try not to worry too much about this.

#6 intolerant baker

intolerant baker

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thank you so much. I have also been having a lot of MS type symptoms, so there probably is a deficiency issue going on.

I just recently joined this forum and was looking through and saw your post. Have you gone for follow-up yet? My blood counts (white and red) are low. This started last year, before I knew I had a gluten issue. My eye doctor and primary care suspected MS, but it turns out I had extremely low b12 and vit. D levels. I would really have those checked. I have to get my blood checked every couple of months now

#7 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

Have they done a break-down of the different white blood cell counts in your body? There are different varieties of white blood cells, and if you're just deficient in one type it might help identify the cause.

I have the opposite problem - my counts have been high for several years. A few weeks ago they were high again, but I got a more detailed report this time that showed only one type (neutrophils) was really high, but the other types were all normal.

#8 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

It was my low lymphocytes that caused my doc to suspect celiac.

So yeah, that seems to come with the territory.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: