#16 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Where I live:

4L or 1 gallon of milk is $4.89; my lactose-free milk is $4.99 for 2L or half a gallon
boneless, skinless chicken breast $5.99/lb, sometimes up to $6.99/lb
bone-in chicken thighs $4.99/lb
unsalted butter $6.97 454g or 1 lb

Where we buy is much more expensive as we buy from a local organic farm (including our beef, lamb, duck, chicken and cheeses) and feel good doing so. I grow many of our vegetables and herbs. Our pork sausage is organic and comes from happy plump and loved Berkshire pigs. Gluten free bread at the Farmer's Market is $10 per loaf which I think is a bit steep.

I am a smart shopper and believe I get what I pay for. Thankfully we have the resources to buy high-quality ingredients and I can indulge in nearly all my cooking fantasies! :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

We buy most of our meat and vegetables at a local Vietnamese market. The produce is locally grown, fresh, and cheaper than most chain grocery stores, and the meat is either raised locally or comes from sources that don't pump it full of hormones. It's all prepared by in-house butchers. We don't eat much beef, but the pork loin is about $2.50/pound. The fresh fish is market price - but it's REALLY fresh. Their chicken is expensive, because it's prepared in the Buddhist style, but we can get it on sale sometimes for $6.99 for a whole bird.

#18 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Where I live:

4L or 1 gallon of milk is $4.89; my lactose-free milk is $4.99 for 2L or half a gallon
boneless, skinless chicken breast $5.99/lb, sometimes up to $6.99/lb
bone-in chicken thighs $4.99/lb
unsalted butter $6.97 454g or 1 lb

Where we buy is much more expensive as we buy from a local organic farm (including our beef, lamb, duck, chicken and cheeses) and feel good doing so. I grow many of our vegetables and herbs. Our pork sausage is organic and comes from happy plump and loved Berkshire pigs. Gluten free bread at the Farmer's Market is $10 per loaf which I think is a bit steep.

I am a smart shopper and believe I get what I pay for. Thankfully we have the resources to buy high-quality ingredients and I can indulge in nearly all my cooking fantasies! :lol:

That's it!!!!! I am definitely coming to your house for dinner! :D

#19 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

I agree getting meat outside of the main stream stores is best. I get mine at a butcher shop and know the family that runs it. No extra water or anything. I love the flavor and only add a bit of seasoning when i wish it.

#20 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I was at BJs (Alexandria VA) this morning and remembered this question so paid close attention to current prices:

Perdue Chickens (whole) = $1.99/lb
Perdue Chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) = $3.99/lb
Perdue Chicken thighs (boneless/skinless) = $2.99/lb
Perdue Chicken tenderloins = $2.89/lb (yes I triple-checked that because I didn't believe it!)

I picked up 3 lbs of ground chicken (can't remember if it was Perdue or Tysons...) for $7.49.

Also found ground bison for $14.99 for 2 lbs which is the best price I've seen for it in this area (my nutritionist says I need to eat more red meat and suggested I add in bison...wouldn't have tried it otherwise!)

I knew the prices at BJs were better than my local Safeway or Giant or Trader Joe's but hadn't paid close enough attention to realize they were THAT much better. Of course, my freezer is now crammed full of meat but if I only have to shop for meat every 2-3 weeks I'm ok with that!

#21 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Oh wow, thats expensive for bison. I can get it here (if i wasn't burnt out on it) for $5 something a lb.

At any rate, I payed.... $5.00 for some ground round yesterday (not my butcher sadly, i had to get it at king soopers). They had some fresh ground in case, but i wasn't gunna bother, it was next to gluteny items O.o

Chicken, if i remember right was $7 something for some legs. Ummm... no thanks.

#22 megsybeth

megsybeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

I'm in southern CA and it's always a lot higher here. Milk is usually at least $4/gallon and I don't buy organic. I moved here from Manhattan where you would imagine prices would be really high (rent, it's an island, cost to truck food in limited storage) but the prices are the same here. But people make a lot less money on average.

#23 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

That's it!!!!! I am definitely coming to your house for dinner! Posted Image

Any time - just give me a bit of notice and I'll put on an amazing spread for you!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: