2 replies to this topic

#1 Adeckman

Adeckman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have been struggling with what ingredients are and are not gluten free. I know a lot of sauces such as soy sauce contain gluten and the obvious ingredients such as wheat barley oat etc., but what I struggle with is natural and artificial flavors that are found in most beverages and a lot of candies and snack bars. I have found conflicting research on whether or not these two ingrdients are safe. Can anyone help me?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Try this:

http://www.celiac.co...-&-Ingredients/

Also, in the US, if it contains wheat, they must disclose that.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

While "natural flavors" can contain gluten, they very rarely actually do. The most likely source would be barley malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is usually explicitly declared as "malt flavor."

If there were wheat in it, in the US (and Canada) it would be required by law to be disclosed as just that, "wheat."

Shelley Case on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor." and (B) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: