4 replies to this topic

#1 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Iam celiac, being Gluten Free for six months my problem with Constipationdid not get better. But going gluten free plus corn free I feel better. Isthere a link between Celiac and Corn. ?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

A lot of us have had problems with corn. I think (in my case, anyway) that until the gut heals, the body mistakes the corn protein for gluten. For me it took 14 months before I could tolerate corn at all. At this point I can tolerate corn starch, but not corn meal. I haven't tried whole corn, corn syrup, or corn oil, and frankly, I doubt if I ever will. None of them is good for a healthy person so I don't want them in my diet anyway. But getting corn starch back has increased my food choices by miles.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Reading your answer, I will try corn starch , as you said it will increase my food choices.
Thank you for your time and reply.

#4 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

You might want to wait a while on that. As I said, it took 14 months before I could tolerate even corn starch. I'm pretty sure my gut has healed significantly, but even now I know I have more healing to do. My health and well-being have improved tremendously, but I'm still not quite there. My energy level is up, but not all the way up, and I am still troubled by fatigue. When I am healthy I sleep exactly 7 1/4 hours each night and when I wake up I am WIDE awake and feeling great. At this time I sleep over nine hours per night and wake up groggy.

I'd be willing to bet that if I can keep from getting glutened for another eight months or so, I will be able to eat anything I want as long as it is gluten-free. Slow and steady. That is my mantra. Remember, during that 14 months I ate nothing processed (except all natural ice cream) and I would advise anyone else to do the same for at LEAST a year.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

You might want to wait a while on that. As I said, it took 14 months before I could tolerate even corn starch. I'm pretty sure my gut has healed significantly, but even now I know I have more healing to do. My health and well-being have improved tremendously, but I'm still not quite there. My energy level is up, but not all the way up, and I am still troubled by fatigue. When I am healthy I sleep exactly 7 1/4 hours each night and when I wake up I am WIDE awake and feeling great. At this time I sleep over nine hours per night and wake up groggy.

I'd be willing to bet that if I can keep from getting glutened for another eight months or so, I will be able to eat anything I want as long as it is gluten-free. Slow and steady. That is my mantra. Remember, during that 14 months I ate nothing processed (except all natural ice cream) and I would advise anyone else to do the same for at LEAST a year.

Oo ok, I got it, you are very kind and it means a lot.

Thank you for yr time and reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: