Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bloating Up

10 posts in this topic

It looks like I have been glutened. I reacted at the store to smelling mustard on a hotdog. I have a problem with vinegar which I suspect caused that. Next I brought home some gluten free hotdogs and grilled them. About 4 hours later I noticed the bloat. That was also when my family was wrapping eggrolls in the kitchen, so I am only guessing what did it. I reacted to the smell of the eggrolls. They were cold by the way; they cooked them outside.

What is this bloating?

I gained 3 1/2 inches around the bellybutton. I have no pain. I usually have no D, but today I had that too. That was before I noticed the bloating.

Ads by Google:

Hot dogs? The nitrites in them? Hot dogs have always gotten me gluten-free or not. And they have always made me end up in the bathroom PDQ.

Hot Dogs bothered me after going gluten-free - basically anything ending in -ite -ate and -ose made me bloat like crazy - sometimes with nausea, sometimes without. We switched to nitrate free dogs - I can't have those right now because of the paprika, but hope to get them back - yum :)

It looks like I have been glutened. I reacted at the store to smelling mustard on a hotdog. I have a problem with vinegar which I suspect caused that. Next I brought home some gluten free hotdogs and grilled them. About 4 hours later I noticed the bloat. That was also when my family was wrapping eggrolls in the kitchen, so I am only guessing what did it. I reacted to the smell of the eggrolls. They were cold by the way; they cooked them outside.

What is this bloating?

I gained 3 1/2 inches around the bellybutton. I have no pain. I usually have no D, but today I had that too. That was before I noticed the bloating.

Did you grill the hot dogs on a barbecue? Is it a dedicated grill to gluten free foods? If not, it could be the grill. There is a doctor show on the radio by a gastroenterologist, and he talks often about celiac. On his 4th of July special, he talked a lot about barbecuing and how much gluten residue can be left on a grill by other foods, and how hard it is to clean off.

I am sorry you are feeling lousy. :(

Hot dogs? The nitrites in them? Hot dogs have always gotten me gluten-free or not. And they have always made me end up in the bathroom PDQ.

No, they were natural hotdogs without preservative.

What causes bloating? Is it gas? Is it intestinal? Is there anyway to speed healing?

I do think I need to get a grip on my allergies? Reacting even a little to walking by a hotdog stand seems too much.

Hey 1DL...

What reaction did you have to smelling the mustard?

I always wonder about cc in "shared" kitchens/households... things like door knobs, faucets, fridge handle, etc. Could this be likely?

Hey 1DL...

What reaction did you have to smelling the mustard?

I always wonder about cc in "shared" kitchens/households... things like door knobs, faucets, fridge handle, etc. Could this be likely?

I ran quickly away. :D I feel the glands in my neck swell. For me I think it is probably the vinegar. My body hates fermentation. The dog no doubt had a bun too, but it was the mustard that I smelled.

One other reaction to a whiff of vinegar that I had:

nausea

weakness

swelling

fatigue

If you are coming to my house for dinner please don't bless me with any vinegarette!

Knobs are a definate reason for concern.

What causes bloating? Is it gas? Is it intestinal? Is there anyway to speed healing?

I do think I need to get a grip on my allergies? Reacting even a little to walking by a hotdog stand seems too much.

Bloating usually means the food hasn't digested very well and is sitting there sort of fermenting (causing gas). The fat content in a hot dog can do that. Have you tried taking digestive enzymes when you eat?

If you're still bloated you could try a bit of baking soda in a glass of water?

I can't walk through the bakery section of the grocery store even when they're not baking, without feeling my throat tighten. I have no idea if there's still enough airborne flour that it gets me? When it first happened it was really frightening and I made an appointment to be tested for a wheat allergy. It turned out I don't have an allergy and the Allergist said he had no idea why I would react that way.

Our bodies are such tricky things. They should come with an owner's manual!

I could go for an owner's manual about now. I inquired recently to my nutritional superivisors about enzymes. They thought I either had too short of transit time, or was low in hydrochloric acid in the stomach.

Transit time was 36 hours. I don't know how I would test the stomach acid.