11 replies to this topic

#1 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

I ate some in the salad bought from Trader Joe's, and got symptoms again which I didn't have since I ate gluten free. Although I have to admit, that I also ate Trader Joe's vegetable chips, which are made in the same facility as wheat, but I really love them, and I hope, that my sensitivity is not that bad :rolleyes:
Anyway, the reason I suspect chevre is because I suspect it made me sick before a few times too. And it makes me feel bad for two days or so.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

I've been limited to goat cheeses only for years & can't recall a chevre w/ gluten. When I get chevre, it's usually at Trader Joe's, but that's its own pkg, not in a salad.

Could goat casein itself be the problem? Or anything else besides the chips? Maybe a suspect in the dressing?
The Detective Game can be such a pain. Hope you get it figured out.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Unless that salad discloses its facility - meaning you can see if wheat/gluten is processed there - I wouldn't have risked the salad. That's just my personal pov. I have a "thing" about salads....my personal neuroses. They skeeve me out unless they have a dedicated gluten-free line.

That said, I eat goat cheese all the time, and from TJ's - no problem.

If you've noticed a problem with goat cheese on more than one occasion, I concur with the above. A problem with casein or goat cheese???
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Any problems with cow's milk/cheese? Just wondering if you have a casein issue. The last couple of times that you have had the goat cheese, have you had it prepared the same way (like always in a salad . . . hence, tom's question of a suspect dressing?)

Was this a salad you made yourself and added cheese or was it a purchased (already-prepared) salad?

Since you've been gluten free, have you had the veggie chips?
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Thank you so much for your thoughts. Trader Joe's had a salad to try there, and then I bought ingredients and made some at home too.Hmm, maybe I do react to goat's milk...As far as cow's dairy goes, I eat little of it - if I happen to eat more cheese, it doesn't feel that good, so I generally avoid it, although I eat butter. My dad is actually allergic to cow's milk from the store, but the funny thing is he can have some fresh raw milk from the country without any ill effects.
My salad dressing at home is always the same - apple cider vinegar, Bragg's aminos and olive oil, but I am not sure what they used in the store tasting version.
I guess, I will try after a few days just a bit of chevre again and see.

#6 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Since you've been gluten free, have you had the veggie chips?

Yes, and the same day as I had chevre, unfortunately, so it could be either one. :o

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Trader Joe's had a salad to try there,

You tried a sample at the store? There's your problem, most likely. Who knows how they made that salad. Did they rinse some of the veggies in the same colander they just made some noodles for another sample? Were there some croutons in it that may have been eaten or hidden before you saw it? What if they used malt cinegar in thier salad dressing? You get the idea.

You could also have a problem with dairy.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Watch the shared facility with wheat and see if you react to other products with that label. I do. It limits a lot of things but my life is better now...and goat cheese chevre is a favorite and no gluten reaction....but give me a shared facility and I will give you all kinds of ugly symptoms. I vote you are reacting to shared facility stuff...and you can easily figure that out by eating a couple more things in a shared facility and see if you react.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#9 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

You tried a sample at the store? There's your problem, most likely. Who knows how they made that salad. Did they rinse some of the veggies in the same colander they just made some noodles for another sample? Were there some croutons in it that may have been eaten or hidden before you saw it? What if they used malt cinegar in thier salad dressing? You get the idea.

You could also have a problem with dairy.

Yes, I guess I should get used to, that I can't try anything like that in the store anymore.

#10 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

but give me a shared facility and I will give you all kinds of ugly symptoms. I vote you are reacting to shared facility stuff...and you can easily figure that out by eating a couple more things in a shared facility and see if you react.

To tell you the truth I still don't feel very well, but much better now, so I probably won't try it anytime soon. But when I do, I will try chevre first since it is less likely to be the culprit. I hoped that I wouldn't be that sensitive, but I guess that won't be the case...

#11 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

Thank you all. I tried some chevre recently again, and felt totally fine after, so i have to conclude, that it was the veggie chips, that were made in the same facility as wheat stuff, which means, that eating will be much harder for me than I expected. :(
I don't miss gluten at all suprisingly, but I do miss the convenience, when I am not at home.

#12 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Thank you all. I tried some chevre recently again, and felt totally fine after, so i have to conclude, that it was the veggie chips, that were made in the same facility as wheat stuff, which means, that eating will be much harder for me than I expected. :(
I don't miss gluten at all suprisingly, but I do miss the convenience, when I am not at home.

I wouldn't say all "made in the same facility" foods are equal. I know I eat foods processed onthe same equipment (because it's so common and I only screen out the obvious) - but don't react to all of them.

So, I'd venture to say THOSE chips are out. Other foods from other manufacturers MAY be ok.

Or not.

Do what makes you feel safe and well.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: