26 replies to this topic

#1 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

It will Help me and all other members if we share “When andhow last time you were glutened”, was it coincidence or cheating.

For me it is like every 3rd day , as I live incombined family with one kitchen and it’s just impossible to stay 100% G/Free.

Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

I haven't cheated because of how scary the complications of celiac can be. Sadly for me, the last time I got got was on the 13th of this month, which was two Mondays ago. Before that it had been probably 3 or 4 months. I also live in a combined family with one kitchen and while it was a heck of a learning curve there isn't any reason not to be able to stay 100% gluten free doing so. I am two things in my kitchen. First and foremost, I am paranoid. Did someone touch that? Look at it funny even? I keep everything of mine super separate. Second, I'm (to put it bluntly) anal about everything. I clean the counters, twice, with a clean cloth each time before I'll use them. Forgot to put a sticker on the shredded cheese I brought home? Well, idk if someone else touched it so I won't. Someone else opened a package of steaks? They probably washed their hands and dried them on one of the communal dish towels, I won't eat them. Yeah, I'm super anal. Yeah, I may be depriving myself of things I don't need to be. But I also don't get sick.

My recent mistake was due to eating frozen soup I had made in the spring, I didn't realize/remember during that week of hell that I had made the soup after figuring out that what was making me so sick was that someone had put a pizza stone on my cutting boards or I would have thrown it away then. So it was general stupidity this time, not anything I can really blame on someone else.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

I very rarely get glutened because I'm also extremely anal about it. You see, I suffer from Dermatitis Herpetiformis...and when I get glutened, the blistery rash lasts a nice, LONG time because I'm also on thyroid medication that contains iodine. As a result, the IgA antibody deposits stay active for a very long time, keeping the DH extremely active, too.

Anyway, my glutening occurred when I accepted a Baggie of cinnamon from my husband (from whom I'm separated) seven months ago. He said he'd bought too much, and I assumed that he'd bought it from Costco; however, it turned out that he had bought it from a bulk bin at a supermarket :( . So, after I made a nice casserole with the cinnamon that lasted me five days, I kept getting ill every day and was puzzled about why I felt as though I'd been glutened. After the DH started on the third day and kept worsening, I then realized my mistake. Too late! It's been seven months, and my DH is no better. It also caused my immune system to crash...and my breast cancer metastasized to my lymphatic system. This means I'm in Stage IV...so although my death certificate will state that I died of cancer, it was actually celiac that caused my demise. And all because of some cinnamon....

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

I wish I could just give you a big hug. Next best thing though... internet hugs. (((((HUGS))))

Celiac kills and live is too short and too precious to waste not being diligent in the kitchen. Hopefully Gemme you'll take this to heart and realize that CC can be avoided and protect yourself. No ones life should be cut short over food. It's terribly tragic.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

I very rarely get glutened because I'm also extremely anal about it. You see, I suffer from Dermatitis Herpetiformis...and when I get glutened, the blistery rash lasts a nice, LONG time because I'm also on thyroid medication that contains iodine. As a result, the IgA antibody deposits stay active for a very long time, keeping the DH extremely active, too.

Anyway, my glutening occurred when I accepted a Baggie of cinnamon from my husband (from whom I'm separated) seven months ago. He said he'd bought too much, and I assumed that he'd bought it from Costco; however, it turned out that he had bought it from a bulk bin at a supermarket :( . So, after I made a nice casserole with the cinnamon that lasted me five days, I kept getting ill every day and was puzzled about why I felt as though I'd been glutened. After the DH started on the third day and kept worsening, I then realized my mistake. Too late! It's been seven months, and my DH is no better. It also caused my immune system to crash...and my breast cancer metastasized to my lymphatic system. This means I'm in Stage IV...so although my death certificate will state that I died of cancer, it was actually celiac that caused my demise. And all because of some cinnamon....

Oh sweetie..my heart goes out to you! It's just awful that this has happened to you. I wish I could take it away from you. :(
(((hugs)))

#6 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

I haven't cheated because of how scary the complications of celiac can be. Sadly for me, the last time I got got was on the 13th of this month, which was two Mondays ago. Before that it had been probably 3 or 4 months. I also live in a combined family with one kitchen and while it was a heck of a learning curve there isn't any reason not to be able to stay 100% gluten free doing so. I am two things in my kitchen. First and foremost, I am paranoid. Did someone touch that? Look at it funny even? I keep everything of mine super separate. Second, I'm (to put it bluntly) anal about everything. I clean the counters, twice, with a clean cloth each time before I'll use them. Forgot to put a sticker on the shredded cheese I brought home? Well, idk if someone else touched it so I won't. Someone else opened a package of steaks? They probably washed their hands and dried them on one of the communal dish towels, I won't eat them. Yeah, I'm super anal. Yeah, I may be depriving myself of things I don't need to be. But I also don't get sick.

My recent mistake was due to eating frozen soup I had made in the spring, I didn't realize/remember during that week of hell that I had made the soup after figuring out that what was making me so sick was that someone had put a pizza stone on my cutting boards or I would have thrown it away then. So it was general stupidity this time, not anything I can really blame on someone else.

Thank's for sharing

#7 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

I wish I could just give you a big hug. Next best thing though... internet hugs. (((((HUGS))))

Celiac kills and live is too short and too precious to waste not being diligent in the kitchen. Hopefully Gemme you'll take this to heart and realize that CC can be avoided and protect yourself. No ones life should be cut short over food. It's terribly tragic.

People like you around , i will keep myself on Track. Every word in your reply has a meaning for me.
I have made a copy of this and have pasted on kitchen door..............Now they (wife,children) know i have people on my side.........ha...ha..ha..........
Thank you for yr time n reply

May i add you as a friend .

#8 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

Oh sweetie..my heart goes out to you! It's just awful that this has happened to you. I wish I could take it away from you. :(
(((hugs)))

Reading yr answer i have tears in my eyes, after long long time i have enjoyed crying. i never thought i will find a family here . Your feelings for me are strength to move forward .
I am very much OK now and looking to start business again where i left it.
Please do remember me in yr prayers .
Thank you ....................BIG Thank you.Posted Image

#9 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

This is the second most difficult reply or letter I have to pen down, first was long time back in 1976.

Your reply was with me all day and night and I do not know how and what to write you, I thought I am the only one on this ill-fated train of life. Before reading yr reply I always asked myself……………why me ? and since yesterday it is like , why me , why you …………..why us.

They say, The treatment is really a cooperative of atrinity--the patient, the doctor and the inner doctor.

-- Ralph Bircher

My prayers and wishes are there for you for your speedy recovery.

Good Luck

#10 stephaniesherie

stephaniesherie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

What a sweet thread.

It sound to me like it takes educating our family members just as much as ourselves.
The more others RESPECT the gluten-free lifestyle, the easier it will be for everyone.

#11 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

I cheated. I bought peanut butter. The first tube didn't cause me anything. But I noticed the second gave me the funkies in the stomach.

I thought it was temporary and ate yet another spoon full of it yesterday.

My guess was wrong. <_<
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#12 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

I cheated. I bought peanut butter. The first tube
didn't cause me anything. But I noticed the second gave me the funkies in the stomach.

I thought it was temporary and ate yet another spoon full of it yesterday.

My guess was wrong. <_<

I'm not sure where you live, but I have never seen a PB with gluten in it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

I have also never seen peanut butter with gluten in it.

Amendment. I have never seen peanut butter that comes home from the store with gluten in it.

While I suppose it's possible some off brand or another I've never seen may be susceptible to CC, it is a naturally gluten free food. Yay!!! (I still advocate reading every label, every time, and calling every manufacturer about manufacturing processes.) The key is that it is never okay to share peanut butter with evil doers... um... I mean gluten eaters in your house. Well, with gluten eaters anywhere really but I suspect the ones we live with are the problematic ones. The really cool thing about this is you can put your name all over a jar (or in my case my special stickers) and then double dip all you want and no one can complain because they can't be using it anyway. Hah!!!

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

By the way Gemme... too late I friended you first. Neener neener neener :P

I hope that your family will take those words to heart. We should all cherish those we love and do what we can to protect them.

I didn't say this before but I like the idea of sharing how we got gotten. Not to whine and moan about it, but because it can help others avoid the same mistakes. I did something stupid and idiotic. I even wondered to myself as I pulled that soup out if I had been anal enough in the kitchen when I made it that I would trust me from then. I suppose I shouldn't have!

If we're all perfectly honest, most of us wouldn't trust each other. There are a few veterans around here I'd trust with my life to cook for me, but other than that I don't know any of you from Adam. I wouldn't expect any of you to let me cook for you either. Heck, I wouldn't trust my best friend to microwave a bag of popcorn for me. (I'm seriously not kidding.)

I eye everything with suspicion. My MIL (that's who I share a house with) opened a package of ground beef, I wouldn't eat the other half. She doesn't understand CC. I don't know what she touched. She got PISSED. She was like "I didn't touch it with bread or anything!" You didn't have to. All you had to do was wash your dishes, wring out your dish cloth, then dry your hands on your dish towel while still covered in only god knows how much gluten. Now next time you dry your hands you're covering yourself with gluten and BAM I get sick from eating that beef. Pass.

I eye small children with suspicion. Toddlers spend their days walking around with Cheerios and pretzels. Then they get their little hands washed but keep putting them in their gluten contaminated mouth and touching everything. Not me! No thanks! No, I do not want to hold your gluten eating baby. No I won't pick up your gluten eating toddler's toy they dropped until I've fished a tissue out of my purse. Sure, they're cute and all and maybe I'm too anal but they're CC nightmares. I'm scared to death of children. There. I said it. I am afraid of small gluten eating children who put their hands in their mouths.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

So I have to mark my territory. :lol: I already stopped sharing the butter butter because people in my house threw bread crumbs in it... Whoever touched the peanut butter will suffer my wrath, then.

It's an almost full tube, though.
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: