Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ideas Needed For Salsa Alternative...

11 posts in this topic

Hey Guys...

I'm giving up tomatoes...

Any ideas for an alternative, pig out salsa? I'm looking for something to scoop and scoop...with my rice tortilla chips...

When/If I get hungry later in the day, homemade salsa has been a staple. Sure would love to come up with an enjoyable replacement!

I'm also cutting out potatoes, dairy, corn, sugars.

Ads by Google:

What about fruit salsas? lots of recipes for them on the internet right now. Hummus? Refried beans? Pestos (can make them with any green like basil, arugula, kale and some garlic, salt)

Here's one Irish Heart gave me:

1 mango, diced small

1/2 pineapple. diced small

1/2 red onion, diced small

1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced

small bunch fresh chopped cilantro

juice of 1 lime

Mix together.

Here's one we like on Salmon but its great cup up smaller and used with chips.

1/2 ripe firm pineapple cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Grill about 2 minutes per side. Chop. Add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro,small serrano chile pepper, seeded and diced &1 TBsp lime juice and salt.

What about Guacamole? You can leave tomatoes out and add just the right amount of spice/flavor to suite your taste.

I am enjoying mango salsa. I just put mango in the blender and wo-laa. Once I put in Cilantro and it tasted more like salsa.

NOTE: From painful experience remove all of the peel off the mango before blending.

And if you were talking about Salsa Dancing then... Maybe try the Tango. :)

Refried beans - we had chipolte peppers. Take the canned in adobo. Carefully take out the seeds, then puree the chilis and the adobo sauce. Mix some into your refried beans, freeze the rest.

You could do one of those "Cowboy CAviar" dips with out the tomatoes or corn (Beans, onion, garlic, vinegar, cilantro, small bits of pineapple or zuchini)

We LOVE this dip/salsa/whatever you want to call it. You could use something other than tomatoes - onions, celery, maybe mushrooms, carrots, depends on your tastes...

Equal amounts of chopped veggies

-Cucumber

-Bell pepper (I use orange or yellow)

-Tomato (sub whatever alternative veggie you like)

Shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese (combined cheese should about equal the amount of one veggie)

Green Goddess salad dressing to lightly coat

My son LOVES this for lunch.

Of course there is hummus. Switch it up by making it roasted red pepper hummus or roasted carrot or lemon or...

How about bagna cauda? It is one of my favourite things in which to dip vegetables.

http://leitesculinaria.com/20117/recipes-peppers-garlic-anchovy-bagna-cauda.html

Or how about salsa verde?

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/other-recipes/salsa-verde

Are you giving up nightshades or just tomatoes? I imagine you are also giving up tomatillos but if not, this is an awesome salsa. I make it often. It is pitifully easy!

http://leitesculinaria.com/1075/recipes-chipotle-salsa-roasted-tomatillos.html

If you're giving up potatoes and tomatoes, it may be an issue you're having with nightshades. If so, then you'll also want to do without the peppers (red, green, jalepeno, cayenne, etc.). I was just looking at the list this morning, for myself.

http://arthritis.about.com/b/2006/09/25/nightshade-vegetables-should-people-with-arthritis-avoid-nightshade-foods.htm

In a processor:

1 cup Quinoa

Tablespoon olive oil

Teaspoon cilantro

Tablespoon sour cream

Teaspoon parsley

Tablespoon of chopped onion

(optional) 2 tablespoons of low-fat cream cheese

1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Process OR blend it until it's smooth. It's more of a dip than anything, but it's good for you....(despite the 1/2 teaspoon of sugar)

ALSO..you can PICKLE onions, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber and anything else suitable...then use it as a salsa.

I just wanted to say I had to give up tomato for a year, the stress in my life made an acidic food too much for me, so I totally feel you. I LOVE tomato anything. Best I came up with was to put white sauces on pasta instead of red. I mostly just whined to myself for that year. And ate a lot of pesto....