18 replies to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

For the past week I have been having D. My digestive symptoms used to be mild, but this has not been so mild. :blink: The only things I have eaten that were different from my usual fare were Udi's, which I have been eating every day for over three weeks now, and a different brand of instant rice (SureFine) that I started using last week.

I used to use Uncle Ben's which I know was not only gluten-free, but corn-free. I was having so much trouble with corn I never even paid attention to which brands were gluten-free. But the store I usually shop at stopped carrying Uncle Ben's so last week I bought the store brand. At first I thought, well, I don't know WHAT I thought. I just pretended it wasn't happenning I guess. But as the week wore on, the D has gotten worse. I went from my old three times in the morning to four times in the morning plus a few times during the day. Yesterday it went on pretty much ALL day and into the night.

I checked on the Sure Fine (Topco) website this morning and there isn't much info except that it does not have the "allergen free" seal. I assume that means it has at least one of the top eight allergens.

So my question is, do any of you think this stuff might be CC'ed at the facility, or am I reacting to corn in the rice? Or is this possibly a slow reaction to Udi's which I THOUGHT would be OK now that I SEEM to tolerate corn starch?

By the way, my psoriasis, which is usually the first indication that I have eaten something bad for me has only flared VERY slightly. I'm wondering if it's possible that the psoriasis only reacts to corn and my digestive system is now reacting to gluten.

SEE? THIS IS WHY I WISH I HAD BEEN TESTED!!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

The only way you'll know is to remove both, wait for it to stop, then add one back at a time.

I know it is mentally difficult to go backwards like that after being do restricted, then having some freedom.

I'm sure, like everyone else, that your intolerance symptoms will continue to evolve. I went from instant headache/flu to indicate gluten to 24 hour delay and stomach cramps.

Overnight.

Sometimes I want to scream. Sure you do, too.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hi Bartfull!

So sorry you are having trouble -- it is awful when you don't know what's causing the problem.

I agree the best route is to remove them both and then try them again separately - but I'd also like to suggest since the D started after the rice and you have only changed the rice and Udi's during recent days, perhaps you should just remove the new rice for two weeks and continue eating udi's -- hoping for you that the problem isn't udi's since you worked so hard to get it back. Worst case scenario would be that your intestines were not quite all the way healed and have been irritated by the Udi's -- have you added any other grain/corn foods back since you realized corn didn't get you?

Hang in there - you know you can figure this out - just sucks that you have to.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

I haven't added anything else except some vitamins. The whole time I was reacting to corn I couldn't find any gluten-free, soy-free, corn-free vitamins. NOW my healthfood store has some. I started taking them at the same time I started eating the Udi's. I doubt my reaction would take three weeks to show up, although maybe it IS cumulative. But I'm thinking it's the rice. I ran out of Udi's yesterday and as hard as it will be, I won't buy any more for a while. And the rice is out of here. I just hope this D is out of here soon too!

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

I suppose it could be cumulative but that rice, against all odds, does sure sound suspicious with the timing and everything. If it were me I'd be giving them a call tomorrow. I don't know how forthcoming they may be over the phone and depending on how confident you are that the person you spoke with was/wasn't a moron you may want to call back and talk to someone else. (Yeah, I've done this a few times.) Anyway, maybe they do wheat in the facility, on the same line, who knows... This is why we really need disclosure to be mandatory instead of voluntary.

(((HUGS))) to get you through in the meantime until you are feeling better. Maybe you know a happy bride to donate that rice to? I know the idea of flinging offensive food at people's heads sure would cheer me up. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hmm...I AM going to be the old lady of honor at a wedding next month. (Can't call me MAID of honor because I'm no longer a maiden. Can't call me MATRON of honor because I am no longer married. But I AM and old lady! :lol: )

Because I am a lazy and lousy cook, I cook up a bunch of rice at once. So the rice I have left is already cooked. I'd bet Maria will be really ticked at me if I throw sticky cooked rice at her. Tee-hee. It would be pretty funny though.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Maybe you know a happy bride to donate that rice to? I know the idea of flinging offensive food at people's heads sure would cheer me up. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
only you could have phrased that just right ---and made my day.

BARTIE, my sweet!--sorry you got bonked--- and I hope you feel better pronto.

You were doing fine with Udi's all this time. You are the only person I know who wrote a celebratory email about her joy at eating packaged bread. I teared up a bit for you!

I always go with the most recent addition when it happens to me.
(just a thought)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hmm...I AM going to be the old lady of honor at a wedding next month. (Can't call me MAID of honor because I'm no longer a maiden. Can't call me MATRON of honor because I am no longer married. But I AM and old lady! :lol: )

I was the Maid of Dishonor at one friend' wedding. :P
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

This is why I go boinky-boom on my dear sweet spouse when he comes home with a "generic" brand of pre packaged manufactured grocery item, which is different than what we have been previously consuming. <_<

I had a really mild reaction the other day to a house store brand condiment that I had been okay with before, and the label indicates that I really should be okay with it. But the COLOR of the stuff, in the jar, is different. This was the second condiment reaction in two weeks, as the other one was the sea salt with added dextrose, which was easy to test because I just stopped eating anything with it for five days, and the symptoms never came back. If someone else hadn't posted, I may never have looked at the label and seen the difference.

So I asked him to pick up some different salt, and he came home with the same brand.... aie yee yee yeee. :blink:

I can't eat the UDI's, either, (flax) but I don't care if my spouse gets it, as it can not be snuck into other recipes secretly.

Bartfull, can you talk the store into carrying the Uncle Ben's for you ? That's a pretty standard rice brand, that's like dropping Betty Crocker or something. Sigh. I guess there's mail order.

#10 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm going to ask them today. They carry the long cooking Uncle Ben's, but it's so much easier to just microwave the instant. Not only that, but I like the taste of the instant better. If they can't do it, I can always get it at the OTHER grocery store. I never shop at that one because their prices are a lot higher and their meats and produce are even worse than the place I usually shop. But I'll do what I have to. For this week though, I'm only eating potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Since I first posted this morning, my psorasis is getting worse. New spots popping out all over both hands. :angry: < That "angry face" is far too mild looking. GRRR...

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

This is why I go boinky-boom on my dear sweet spouse

Takala I'm loving this phrase right here...."going boinky-boom".

:lol:

I'm stealing that one!

I have to say, I try not to get too upset with hubs if he ever comes home with anything "suspicious". He tries so hard, he is willing to grocery shop (I hate it) he is gluten-free, too (voluntarily) and he is really good at reading labels.

As long as he remembers to bring "the cheaters" into the store... :lol: those labels can be very tiny.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Sorry you're having a hard time after so much recent success Bartful!

Could it be that adding new foods back in, would work better a little at a time? Once or twice a week at first maybe. I'm not even close to where you are yet, so I'm taking mental notes on all this stuff at this point. Can't even look at rice yet. I have this feeling that after it takes so long to be able to add new foods, it makes sense that the cumulative theory might be at work, or maybe you're still sensitive inside. Just an idea. Either way it completely sucks! Hope you're feeling much better soon.

It really shouldn't have to require so much concentration to just eat each day... for any of us. Sheesh! I hope you continue to check back in with your progress, and hope it happens quickly.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#13 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

bartful, doesn't the store have the instant Minute rice?

So sorry you got got. Especially after you had been doing so well. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#14 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

I don't know if it helps or not but I wash and rinse my rice until the water runs clear. Then I cook it in the microwave...the regular rice....it just takes 10 to 15 minutes.

Or go with certified gluten free....if there is such a thing in rice.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#15 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

Because I am a lazy and lousy cook, I cook up a bunch of rice at once. So the rice I have left is already cooked. I'd bet Maria will be really ticked at me if I throw sticky cooked rice at her. Tee-hee. It would be pretty funny though.

You can dry the rice slowly in the oven. Atleast, I did that once accidently. I was trying to make rice cakes, but instead of being puffy, the rice went back to its small dry state. :lol: I think that might be nicer for the wedding!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: