19 replies to this topic

#1 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

I've been a big fan of Chebes bread mixes for pizza crust, breadsticks, flatbread. I guess I'm lazy but mixing all those differnt flowers and then having stuff turn out ptretty yucky turned me off of bread.

I lived fine without it. Tonight, however, I had a big craving for bread. For you in the know, the only bummer with Chebe is it doesn't get brown, has low eye appeal, and the middle is squishy.

Tonight while I was mixing up the batter, I heated the oven up to 400 degrees and stuck a well seasoned cast iron skillet in there. I patted out 4 rolls and 2 breadrolls in the meantime.

My oven shelves were situated at next to the highest and next to the lowest.

I took the piping hot cast iron skilled out of the oven and loaded my six pieces of bread in it. I cooked it for about 18 minutes on the low oven shelf, flipped them, and cooked the bread on the upper shelf for another 10 minutes, removed them and stuck them on a rack to cool.

They're the bomb!

They key with Chebe's is not adding more liquid. It should be crumbly. If you use a soft cheese vs. a hard cheese, cut down on the liquid called for. If it's humid, you don't need as much liquid. Start with maybe 3/4 of the liquid called for and start mixing and kneeding with your hands.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the results and thought I should share.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your cooking method. I probably wouldn't have thought to use the cast iron and it sounds like it worked well?
I haven't tried the Chebe mix, but I see my grocery store carries it. I'm real tempted to run out and get some to go with the pot of beef stew I'm making for supper. My hubby and son would be thrilled! :D

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Also, if you let chebe sit out covered for a while after shaping it gets better. Leave it out for an hour or two. The end product is softer, doesn't get as hard on the outside, and cooks through more on the inside.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Having followed both Marilyn and Bunz's suggestions before, we have enjoyed the CHEBE mixes very much.

Nothing like pulled pork on a cheesy roll. Hubs loved the hot dogs in a chebe blanket, too.

Recently, I transformed a gluteny-based old family recipe for a meat pie (made with ground lamb, toms, herbs, garlic, etc.).

Using the CHEBE pizza mix---I rolled it as flat as possible to resemble the flat wheat flour round the recipe calls for--and it was a close to my Grandmother's lamejun (aka Armenian "pizza")--as it could ever get.

I thought I had lost that taste treat forever.

Thanks, guys! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'm real tempted to run out and get some to go with the pot of beef stew I'm making for supper. My hubby and son would be thrilled! :D

oh, you have got to try the chebe cheese rolls with your stew, B M---awesome! I used grated cheddar in mine. Enjoy!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I made these for dinner last night as hamburger buns. My family hated them but said if I'd add garlic powder and make small rolls instead of big buns then they'd taste like Red Lobster biscuits. May have to try it again.

#7 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

If you use them as hamburger buns they have to be really, REALLY flat before you bake them, or else they're just all gooey and gross in the middle. Think pita bread.

#8 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Here is how to make hamburger or sandwich rolls with Chebe that are more "breadlike."

Take a box of chebe bread mix. Add to the mix about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of whatever gluten free flour substitute(s) you wish, such as buckwheat, amaranth, sorghum, ground almond meal, brown rice flour, quinoa flour.
Add a small amount of salt, a dash.
Add a small amount of baking soda, about 1/4 teaspoon.
Add a pinch of cumin and a pinch of cinnamon or other sweet spice.

To the liquid part of the mixture, (the eggs, oil, water) in addition to what is called for on the box, you then add a dash of cider vinegar, an extra tablespoon of cooking oil, and an extra egg and/or a heaping tablespoon of yogurt. Depending on the flour used, you may or may not have to add just a bit more water. Don't forget the extra oil. Otherwise they are too dry.

You can also add a tablespoon of chia seed, if you wish. Highly recommended!

I use a combo of half amaranth and half buckwheat. I presoak this with the chia in some of the liquid, so the chia gels and the buckwheat softens, which makes it work better.

Make a dough out of the ingredients. At first it will seem too dry, keep stirring, then you will be able to knead it. It will become more and more doughlike as you work it. Knead until it is all blended and workable as a bread dough. Don't add too much water or it will be sticky, and you will have to add more tapioca mix or gluten-free flour to it.

Oil your hands and make doughballs in the desired shapes of chebe bread rolls.

Place doughballs on oiled cookie sheet or pan. If you are making an oblong sandwich roll, make it flatter than a regular sandwich bread dough shape. Then, take your finger and press down the center lengthwise to make a "groove," then take a knife and sliced gently into this groove. If you are making larger round sandwich rolls, press a dimple into the top, then slice a cross hatch shape into the roll. This helps the chebe rolls cook through completely.

Bake for the recommended time on the package, then check for doneness by taking a clean table knife and poking it into the roll to see if it comes out clean and not gummy. Return the rolls to the oven if they are not done yet. Typically, the larger rolls are taking a bit more time to bake, about 25 to 28 minutes. They will be lightly golden browned, and have a great "grain" scent.

Let cool and slice for sandwiches. :)

If you use amaranth as part of the mixture, you can keep these in the refrigerator for many days, stored in a ziplock bag, and they will reheat nicely. The flavors actually improve.

I have found you can also replace part of the grated cheese in the regular recipe with yogurt.

#9 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Holy Chebe science, Batman!

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Yowzers.

I make 4 delicious rolls out of the mix. I love this mix because it is so easy.

I do not flatten them. I make them "rounded" --they look like hamburger rolls.

I do nothing special except add grated cheddar cheese and they come out squishy and moist.

Hmm...what am I doing differently and how do I get so lucky?

I dunno.....maybe I have a "magic oven" ?? :lol: :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

You're just weird. :ph34r:

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

You're just weird. :ph34r:

:P .....bunzie is just jealous I have a magic oven.....hehehe

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

I haven't been back to my post. I got a little wrapped up with Hurricane Issac, even though it was just a tropical storm here.

Anyway. Back to the OP. If you find the buns are too gummy, you have a couple of choices I found out by accident.

If you make buns thin and freeze them, you can toast them in your toaster (I just have a pop up) or make the rolls thick and freeze them, then slice the frozen buns (not easy, but hey, you're used to that) then toast them. The sliced toasted buns pretty much rock. You can do a BLT, an egg salad, a burger, pretty much anything.

I make the breadsticks long so I can toast them after freezing them. (Just unplug the toaster if you have to use tongs to get them out.) Chebe breadsticks are great with soup or salad.

When I notice my sidekick is getting whiny, I pop one of the skinny buns in the toaster (on 5). He says it's just about like a slice of pizza.

Anyway, experiment a little. You might get some Holy Chebe moments to, Batman.

The Wright Brothers probably didn't get to fly the first plane they built. (My Irishman mentioned that to me the first time I got bummed with gluten-free baking.)

:)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

The Wright Brothers probably didn't get to fly the first plane they built. (My Irishman mentioned that to me the first time I got bummed with gluten-free baking.)

:)

True, true!
And when I get frustrated with it all, my Irishman always scolds me with "Rome wasn't built in a day" :lol:

The first few gluten-free loaves of breads we made? :blink: Most of them serve as door stops in the house. One holds up the bedroom window that keeps slamming shut.

P.S.
Glad hurricane Isaac did not give you any grief, Marilyn.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

:P .....bunzie is just jealous I have a magic oven.....hehehe

:P :P :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic