19 replies to this topic

#16 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Having followed both Marilyn and Bunz's suggestions before, we have enjoyed the CHEBE mixes very much.

Nothing like pulled pork on a cheesy roll. Hubs loved the hot dogs in a chebe blanket, too.

Recently, I transformed a gluteny-based old family recipe for a meat pie (made with ground lamb, toms, herbs, garlic, etc.).

Using the CHEBE pizza mix---I rolled it as flat as possible to resemble the flat wheat flour round the recipe calls for--and it was a close to my Grandmother's lamejun (aka Armenian "pizza")--as it could ever get.

I thought I had lost that taste treat forever.

Thanks, guys! ;

Babe...will you share Grandmother's recipe?
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Babe...will you share Grandmother's recipe?

I know, right? Get crackin!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

oops, sorry, guys!

Just saw this. I've been down and out (damn gluten) but will

happily post it as soon as I can figure out what I did exactly to

convert it... :lol:

Be back shortly!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

oops, sorry, guys!

Just saw this. I've been down and out (damn gluten) but will

happily post it as soon as I can figure out what I did exactly to

convert it... :lol:

Be back shortly!!

Sorry a lot you're not feeling well.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Armenian Lamb Pie (Lamejun or lahmajoon)

This popular pie is “pizza” to Armenians.
It is traditionally made with a circular flat bread (think : a very pliable tortilla- type thing)

but I tried making it with the Chebe pizza dough.

I made a large flat square on a 15 X 10 rimmed non-stick baking sheet, the same as I do when I make other pizza. You can use a circular one, if you like.

So, I had to figure out the measurements as my Grams never measured a thing in her life while baking.
I found the book The Cuisine of Armenia by Sonja Uvezian had a recipe with actual ingredients, so I will post it here.

It's the same as Gram's!

Assemble your Chebe pizza dough
OR
I imagine you can use gluten-free white rice flour tortillas, if you prefer. I have not tried them yet.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine the following in a large bowl:

1 lb. Ground lamb
a medium onion, FINELY chopped
¼ cup finely chopped green pepper.
1 medium ripe tomato, seeds removed and finely chopped
1 / 4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped mint leaves (optional)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/8 teasponn cayenne
S and P to taste
dash of Paprika (optional )

Knead together.
Spread the meat mixture onto the pizza dough, leaving about a 1 /2 - inch border/edge.
(or if using tortilla rounds, about 1/3 cup of the mixture and spread, leaving some room left around the edges.)

Bake pizza for 14-15 minutes (check the tortillas at 11-12; they may be done faster)
and then
briefly put oven on BROIL –for about a minute, with the door slightly open---so the pie gets lightly browned and a teensy bit “crispy”

Can be served hot or cold, with lemon wedges or plain yogurt and crisp cucumbers and some spicy pickled veggies like gardinera or pepperoncinis. A Greek salad with feta also works!

It should resemble this picture:

http://georgefamily.net/food/?p=166

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: