This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free And Hypoglycemia

Melissa74

Melissa74 Newbie

I have not been diagnosed with Celiacs nor does my doctor believe that I have celiacs. When I told him that I have gone gluten free since it's making me feel better he just rolls his eyes and continues. (I had more energy, less pain, more concentration, more want to do things, less depression and losing weight etc.)I was in to see him because my blood sugar levels during a blood test was 50; and that was only 2-3 hours after eating and not fasting. The doctor said everything I am eating is simple carbs but I have more than doubled my vegetables and beans but I still can't regulate my sugars. (HE critisized everything I said so I didn't know if what he was saying was right or not.) Needless to say I had to go off the gluten free diet for a while to get the blood sugars to regulate. I need to get back on the gluten free diet because I'm tired of being tired all the time but I don't want my blood sugars to drop so low.

Any ideas of how to get my blood sugars to regulate? After I eat my blood sugar highs are only about 100-120. I eat every 2-3 hours and in the afternoon I could eat every minute because I am so hungry. And if I don't eat I get the shakes which usually means that my blood sugar has dropped. I also get the same reaction if I exercise any small amount and when I do exercise then I will have to eat for the remainder of the day because I am usually so hungry, which I know is not what I should be doing. When I was on the gluten free diet it seemed like my in-take of food nearly doubled but at the same time I was losing weigth so I didn't look at it as a bad thing. I'm trying like mad to stay way from chocolates and sugars of any kind.

I know something isn't quite right and I feel something is missing in my diet but I just can't figure it out. I can't seem to get the help of doctors so I thought the next best thing was a forum where people live with this everyday. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I'm still trying to find a doctor for the long haul but I thought this might get me over the hump.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TeknoLen Rookie

I know very little about hypoglycemia but it seems to me that you should be able to eat a grain-free diet without experiencing low blood sugar episodes. Hopefully you can find a doc to diagnose the root cause of your condition. You might already be doing this but if not, you might consider eating mostly "slow carbs", i.e. foods that digest slowly and do not spike your blood sugar. Google "slow carbs" for a list. Also, extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil are good fats that slow down digestion. And meat takes a longer to digest as well so that is another source of slow carbs. Good luck.

tarnalberry Community Regular

What are you eating?

Doubling your vegetables doesn't tell us much (if you were hardly eating any to begin with, you still may be eating a small quantity compared to other, starchier, foods). Lots of beans have plenty of carbs too, and may not have enough fiber/protein to balance out the carbs you're getting there.

Give us an idea of what you eat in a day, and we can be of more help.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I find I need a meal and snack that contains a balance of protein (a good amount, especially if I work out), veggie, and fiber. Less fruits. Decent quantity of healthy fats.

If I get off on blood sugar - feel hypo, if I can't balance it out or get tired of eating, I will eat about 20 Ghiradelli semi sweet chips. It seems to be the right amount to end the glucose craving.

Cuban black beans (cooked with lots of chopped veggies) over rice and a dollop of sour cream and peach salsa seems to be a magic cure. Don't know why, but if I have to I will eat it for several days and it straightens me out.

mopsiecat Rookie

I have not been diagnosed with Celiacs nor does my doctor believe that I have celiacs. When I told him that I have gone gluten free since it's making me feel better he just rolls his eyes and continues. (I had more energy, less pain, more concentration, more want to do things, less depression and losing weight etc.)I was in to see him because my blood sugar levels during a blood test was 50; and that was only 2-3 hours after eating and not fasting. The doctor said everything I am eating is simple carbs but I have more than doubled my vegetables and beans but I still can't regulate my sugars. (HE critisized everything I said so I didn't know if what he was saying was right or not.) Needless to say I had to go off the gluten free diet for a while to get the blood sugars to regulate. I need to get back on the gluten free diet because I'm tired of being tired all the time but I don't want my blood sugars to drop so low.

Any ideas of how to get my blood sugars to regulate? After I eat my blood sugar highs are only about 100-120. I eat every 2-3 hours and in the afternoon I could eat every minute because I am so hungry. And if I don't eat I get the shakes which usually means that my blood sugar has dropped. I also get the same reaction if I exercise any small amount and when I do exercise then I will have to eat for the remainder of the day because I am usually so hungry, which I know is not what I should be doing. When I was on the gluten free diet it seemed like my in-take of food nearly doubled but at the same time I was losing weigth so I didn't look at it as a bad thing. I'm trying like mad to stay way from chocolates and sugars of any kind.

I know something isn't quite right and I feel something is missing in my diet but I just can't figure it out. I can't seem to get the help of doctors so I thought the next best thing was a forum where people live with this everyday. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I'm still trying to find a doctor for the long haul but I thought this might get me over the hump.

Have you been checked for thyroid problems? An improperly functioning thyroid will affect blood sugar. I have an underactive thyroid and before it was regulated I had horrible times with low blood sugar. Now I'm pre diabetic so I still have problems at times and I find it helpful to eat more protein. Beans are very good because they have enough fibre in them to prevent the sugars from being absorbed too quickly.

Melissa74 Newbie

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back fo I have been moving.

It answer some of your questions and concerns. First when I say that I have doubled my vegetable intake I'm talking about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of vegetables. I try to stay to brown rice and sweet potoatoes. Also I stick to chicken breast most of the time but throw in leans meats for variety. I will eat most vegetables but I'm having problems currently with beans tasting good to me isn't not that I don't like the taste but they taste "old" even if I just bought them and it's inside the expiration date.

I can have about 1 chicken breas, with 1/2 to 3/4 cups vegetables and 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown rice and I will be hungry within an hour.

The only meal that I have found that will sustain my appetite is yogurt and glutten free granola. There are days that I feel like I'm missing something in my diet because I will crave sugar. I can't have subsitute sugar of any kind. And I cook with canola or extra virgin olive oil.

Yes I had my thyroid tested and that test came back normal.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I don't know what granola you're eating but most are extremely high in sugars. High enough they make me want to vomit.

So, that might be where you are getting the sugar fix that is stopping the cravings. Just a thought. If its homemade it's probably lower in sugar. Granola plus high protein yogurt would probably be a decent "fix" for some.

And, if you are like most and sugar makes you crave more sugar...then the granola may be feeding the problem, too.

I'm not too clear on which vegetables you're eating - but if sweet potatoes are one they are high in sugar. I try to stick to leafy green ones like spinach and kale, i snack on zucchini. I cook a lot with onion, bell pepper, celery. I roast veggies too, and sometimes make smoothies with leafy greens, nuts, avocados. I try not to add fruit to smoothies since its straight sugar, but have used a few drops of stevia.

Also, you might try dropping the rice. Rice can really spike your sugar and then the fall down is nasty.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MrsVJW Newbie

Even natural sugars can mess you up... I started having blood sugar drops a couple months back, and I suspect the Larabars I was using at the time to try and make sure I was eating enough food did not help things. Yes, they are all natural and gluten-free, but are still pretty high in sugar.

Beans and nuts have been my friends the past two months. A mid morning, mid afternoon and before bad snack of nuts. Trying to get beans in during the lunch & dinner meals, maybe for snacks (hummus and carrots, beans in my salad, etc.). I am mostly carb free - occasional potato, brown rice or polenta, never more than once a day. Gluten-free breads and replacements - pretty much out, a simple carb is a simple carb, and my body does not like any of them.

And you may want to try and find a more understanding doc. When I went to see mine with all this stuff... his advice was "eat more protein, less grains, and very little sugars". Haven't had a *thing* with corn syrup in a month and a half, try to avoid most sugars (some honey with my unsweetened yogurt in the mornings). I do still drink dry white wine (a girl can't give up everything...).

And also set up an alarm to test your blood sugar overnight too - biggest thing for me was I was apparently having blood sugar crashes around 3:30am, and not doing anything for those just kept it all going in a vicious cycle. When I wake up & test then, I have a glass of fresh squeeze (no sugar added) OJ by the bed if I need it, and often some kind of snack (couple small slices of low fat salami, a cheese stick, small handful of walnuts, etc.). Not only do I not feel like I've been run over by a truck every morning, my blood sugars keep much more steady thru the day when I catch that night crash.

And my blood sugar highs tend to only be in the 100s, and as for lows, once I get down to 87-ish, I'm feeling pretty cruddy.

Archived