137 replies to this topic

#136 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

It's possible that the allergy meds are acting on something that was untested. Any allergist will admit they only have tests for a fraction of possible allergens. It's also possible the allergy meds are suppressing her autoimmune reaction to something. I personally get great relief from autoimmune symptoms by taking antihistamines. It's a cheat to keep me going if things get really bad.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#137 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

It's possible that the allergy meds are acting on something that was untested. Any allergist will admit they only have tests for a fraction of possible allergens. It's also possible the allergy meds are suppressing her autoimmune reaction to something. I personally get great relief from autoimmune symptoms by taking antihistamines. It's a cheat to keep me going if things get really bad.

Ditto.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#138 weluvgators

weluvgators

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that our family has had heaps of difficulties with diagnosis and protocol development in our journey. To make progress, our family adopted a gluten, dairy and soy free diet. We experienced some extensive complications that resulted in hospitalisations for one of my children, most likely due to chronic gluten exposure at school. Our family manages both celiac and gluten allergy, and two of my gluten-free children report that Zyrtec helps with the bellyaches. We also find Zyrtec helpful in managing the extensive skin issues that we endure when our gluten exposures are not managed with enough diligence. We have been able to navigate childcare as well, and if your centre has good allergen training, they should be able to manage your child's medical condition well. Play dough is often one of the more difficult ones to work through for early childhood activities, and we have approached that in several different ways.

I am happy to share more specifics of our experiences if you want, and we have entirely more experience with juevenile arthritis issues than I want (a complication that I had not seen coming after months of extensive and chronic skin issues). I hope that you are able to find relief soon. We really had to scale back all dietary variables as much as possible to make good progress. We then had to refine our environmental exposures to ensure our good health. You may want to review "atopy" as it sounds like you may be dealing a bit with that. I didn't read all of the pages of this thread, so apologies if I missed important info. While my kids have not had elevated IgE readings, my skin tests and family history lead them to allergy predisposition. As such, and based on their past reactions, they each have a specific Allergy Action Plan. Good luck navigating this diagnostic process.
My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: