9 replies to this topic

#1 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:44 AM

I don't know if many of you have even heard of alidi's grocery store, but if you have then maybe you can help. I don't know if some of their products are gluten free or not. I don't remember a number to call, so I am just curious if anyone can help.
I LOVE JESUS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:32 AM

I've heard of Aldi's but it was in Germany... not the US... (they don't have them on the west coast of the US)

*rumor alert*
I've read they are related to Trader Joe's.... but that TJ's doesn't advertise this fact because Aldi's is more of a discount place and TJ's, though it is fairly inexpensive, wants to appeal to a different demographic. I read this online about two years ago when I was looking up Aldi's on a nostalgia kick as I had shopped at the one next door to my friend's apartment in Mainz, Germany.

On edit - it's no rumor. Here's a link about it: http://www.businessw...17/b3880016.htm

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#3 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

We have an Aldi's in my town, but (this is SO stupid) I've never been in there because my husband's ex used to work there and I just think of her every time I see the place. (I know, I'm a moron!)

If they have any decent gluten-free stuff I'd be willing to check it out though. Do they have a website?

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#4 suziew

suziew

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

I just went to Aldi's with my grandma. She shops there all the time. I found several products there in the frozen food section that clearly states "gluten free".

#5 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

I like Aldi's but getting information from them about products is like pulling teeth! I've tried to get info about any of their products that "might" be gluten-free and I get no response... just told to talk to the manager in my local store, well, the manager in my local store knows NOTHING about gluten-free.

#6 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

Our Aldi's has all these no-name products I've never heard of, but I have found several things that are gluten-free just by checking the labels. They have pudding mixes and chicken rice soup, for example, that don't list any nasty ingredients like modified food starch or hydrolyzed vegetable protein, and everything is so cheap! But it's a different shopping experience than the usual grocery store in many ways. Bring your own bags and a quarter to rent a cart.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#7 kathy1

kathy1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

I just went to Aldi's with my grandma. She shops there all the time. I found several products there in the frozen food section that clearly states "gluten free".

Can you tell us what the names of the gluten free products are that you bought?
HUSBAND(ASYMPTOMATIC)
DX BY BLOOD TEST 12-05, NORMAL BIOPSY 1-06

8 YR OLD SON DX BY BLOOD TEST 1-06,
ALSO ASYMPTOMATIC

#8 suziew

suziew

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

Can you tell us what the names of the gluten free products are that you bought?

I bought the Grandessa seasoned pototoe wedges and beef jerky. The thing about aldi's is that they don't carry name brands. But the few items I did pick up either said gluten free or does contain gluten.

#9 kathy1

kathy1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, There is an Aldi's near where I work. I never go there though. I think I will have to check them out.
HUSBAND(ASYMPTOMATIC)
DX BY BLOOD TEST 12-05, NORMAL BIOPSY 1-06

8 YR OLD SON DX BY BLOOD TEST 1-06,
ALSO ASYMPTOMATIC

#10 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

I went to Aldi's with my husband today... he loves it there, so I got the phone number for the main office from the manager there. Well, actually it was for the local main office, then they gave me the number for the corporate office... I called them today and got someones voice mail after being passed around to four different departments, lo and behold she actually called me back.

Bad news was that they cannot do a list of any of their products that may be gluten free, the are simply a distributor and work with a lot of different manufacturers and suppliers change things too often for them to have any kind of list. She said they've had MANY calls on this and have tried to figure out at least for the last two years how to do it, but they simply can't. What she suggested that I do is when I am in the store, make a list of any products that I am interested in and mail that list to the address on the package. They will then forward the request onto the manufacturers and then the manufacturers should get back to me with the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: