4 replies to this topic

#1 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I want to try some rice paper wraps & have zero experience with them. I have looked online & some say use the larger ones, some say small is okay. Brands you find good? Any tips on using them are appreciated.
Do I understand that I can either just use them for an immediate wrap OR I can choose to deep fry them? If I use them w/o frying them they will harden up & dry out quickly? If I fry them, do they harden if they sit for a while?

I am also interested in trying any kind of wrap or noodle made of rice. Any suggestions will be helpful. I'm not talking about rice pastas but more in the oriental vein.

Thanks!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Check this one out. It has some links to an older thread, too.

http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry818513

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Oh wow Karen! Thanks a ton.Posted Image I followed all the links in all the threads. Oh yum! Can't wait to try some of this stuff. I loved your ideas of going sort of "dessert" with them w/ choc. dipping sauce. I'm thinking apricots --- I adore apricots & choc. dipping sauce. Oh Yeah!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

For oriental type noodles I like the Annie Chun noodles (especially the pad thai noodles) that I find in our local grocery store.

#5 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

I think the larger wraps are easier to work with. Also, there are two types. One is the usual round wrap. The other type looks more like a mesh or woven rice paper. When I went to Vietnam we did a cooking class. In the class we used the mesh type to make rolls then fried them. Then you put the roll on a leafy piece of lettuce along with whatever sauce and eat it. AMAZING. Makes me hungry just thinking about it!!! I have tried to fry up the regular "solid" sheets but they don't work as well. I'd recommend those to make cold wraps and the mesh type to fry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: