Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Rice Paper Wraps

5 posts in this topic

I want to try some rice paper wraps & have zero experience with them. I have looked online & some say use the larger ones, some say small is okay. Brands you find good? Any tips on using them are appreciated.

Do I understand that I can either just use them for an immediate wrap OR I can choose to deep fry them? If I use them w/o frying them they will harden up & dry out quickly? If I fry them, do they harden if they sit for a while?

I am also interested in trying any kind of wrap or noodle made of rice. Any suggestions will be helpful. I'm not talking about rice pastas but more in the oriental vein.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Check this one out. It has some links to an older thread, too.

Oh wow Karen! Thanks a ton.smile.gif I followed all the links in all the threads. Oh yum! Can't wait to try some of this stuff. I loved your ideas of going sort of "dessert" with them w/ choc. dipping sauce. I'm thinking apricots --- I adore apricots & choc. dipping sauce. Oh Yeah!

For oriental type noodles I like the Annie Chun noodles (especially the pad thai noodles) that I find in our local grocery store.

I think the larger wraps are easier to work with. Also, there are two types. One is the usual round wrap. The other type looks more like a mesh or woven rice paper. When I went to Vietnam we did a cooking class. In the class we used the mesh type to make rolls then fried them. Then you put the roll on a leafy piece of lettuce along with whatever sauce and eat it. AMAZING. Makes me hungry just thinking about it!!! I have tried to fry up the regular "solid" sheets but they don't work as well. I'd recommend those to make cold wraps and the mesh type to fry.