11 replies to this topic

#1 Big D

Big D

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

I'm very new to this and currently on an elimination diet of dairy and gluten. I plan to do this for one month and then introduce dairy, wait a month and then introduce gluten.

How long does it take to feel sick from eating gluten. I ate some gluten (by accident) this past Sat and felt fine that evening. The next day was not so good. Abd pain, malaise, bad gas. Symptoms lasted for two days and now I'm starting to feel better.

Does that sound normal?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I think reactions vary wildly. Some people have almost no symptoms and others end up bedridden. Some celiacs have no gastro symptoms where as others just get that. Reactions hit immediately to days later...

I tend to get a stomach ache after 15 minutes; bloating in about an hour ,which is very uncomfortable for about a day, and lasts in a milder form for a few days; and within 24 hours I get a migraine that lasts a few days. I won't feel quite right for a good week or two.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

First my question is, do you have Celiac? Or have a gluten intolerance or allergy? I saw that you said you are going to eventually re-introduce gluten, is that to see if you are intolerant? If you haven't been tested yet, I'd get the full Celiac panel testing done before starting an elimination diet, especially if you are suspecting that gluten is the culprit. If you start cutting out gluten now, then you may never get accurate testing results.

As far as the reactions - I never had reactions before I was diagnosed and started going gluten free. Now within a hour a begin to bloat and my abdomen becomes rock hard. I usually have D that night and then become constipated the next few days. Also, depending on how much gluten I'm exposed to, sometimes my joints (knees) will swell up and I get some brain fog. It usually goes away within a couple days for me.

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#4 Big D

Big D

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

First my question is, do you have Celiac? Or have a gluten intolerance or allergy? I saw that you said you are going to eventually re-introduce gluten, is that to see if you are intolerant? If you haven't been tested yet, I'd get the full Celiac panel testing done before starting an elimination diet, especially if you are suspecting that gluten is the culprit. If you start cutting out gluten now, then you may never get accurate testing results.

As far as the reactions - I never had reactions before I was diagnosed and started going gluten free. Now within a hour a begin to bloat and my abdomen becomes rock hard. I usually have D that night and then become constipated the next few days. Also, depending on how much gluten I'm exposed to, sometimes my joints (knees) will swell up and I get some brain fog. It usually goes away within a couple days for me.

Thanks for your reply. I had lab tests done that were negative. I ate gluten up to the day of my lab tests. I'm still convinced that I have a gluten intolerance but I plan to test with diet elimination to be sure. 11 years ago at the random age of 22 I deveoped pernious anemia and now have to take B-12 shots for life. I've had GI upset for a while but it had ramped up big time over the last few months. Tried 3 weeks of prilosec without improvement. Feeling quite well today after having a migraine last night. Today is day 4 since eating gluten.

#5 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Lol ok just checking! I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope that you can find some answers to your symptoms. I've dealt with anemia too and it got to a point where one summer I developed pica and all I ate were ice chips. My mom got so freaked out that she took me to the doctor and I was made to have an iron infusion via IV. My anemia improved and now I'm just iron deficient but hopefully that will get better.

Have you felt better since starting your gluten free diet? I know its only been like 5 days for you so far but some people start to feel better right away. I wish you the best!!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#6 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

As mentioned, it varies. It hits my daughter after roughly 24 hours and she remains in bed for anywhere up to 3 days, if she walks she can't stand upright, so is hunched over to go to the loo then goes back to bed and stays curled up in a ball, she can't stretch out.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#7 Big D

Big D

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

Lol ok just checking! I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope that you can find some answers to your symptoms. I've dealt with anemia too and it got to a point where one summer I developed pica and all I ate were ice chips. My mom got so freaked out that she took me to the doctor and I was made to have an iron infusion via IV. My anemia improved and now I'm just iron deficient but hopefully that will get better.

Have you felt better since starting your gluten free diet? I know its only been like 5 days for you so far but some people start to feel better right away. I wish you the best!!!

What was your experience leading up to and quiting gluten?

After being off gluten for a few days I started feeling REALLY good. There may be a mind/body component to it but I felt much clearer and needed less sleep! After eating gluten this past weekend I've felt like crap all week, mostly malaise and headaches. It comes in goes in waves almost, part of day feel okay and then feel like crap. I'm hoping to clear up by the weekend and go on a nice stretch of feeling good.

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

My reaction hits in three hours.

richard

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

It is different for everyone--you will become familiar with what is normal for you. Mine is right around 2 hours. As time goes on, they don't last as long for me--I'm generally better in a couple, 2-3 days. At the beginning, it would be closer to a week or 2.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I have symptoms within a few hours, they pick up speed and intensity by day 2--- and then I have them for nearly 2 weeks.

But, this is my experience (I am post-DX 20 months) and it may not be the same for you.

I hope to be more like the others whose symptoms resolve more quickly as each year passes.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 raistlinm

raistlinm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

For me is mainly malaise what I get, it starts always on next day, and lasts 2-3 days, I'm not celiac as per my tests, I'm just trying to understand if I'm gluten intolerant.

#12 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Hello raistlinm
Welcome to the forum :)

Just to let you know this thread is a few months old and posters may not be around.

You can always start a thread and introduce yourself.

Happy reading, I hope you find some things to help you here.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: