24 replies to this topic

#16 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

After a friend had been playing with the rolls, slicing them for sandwiches, he stuck his hands in the bacon that was being laid out on a pan. I noticed and informed him that that bacon was now out of bounds for me, and another friend says, 'Well, won't it just, like, cook off in the oven?' If that were the case, then I could eat BREAD. Getting hot doesn't magically make gluten disappear!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

These are some great stories!! I've had quite a laugh. Thank you so much for sharing.

:lol:

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

#18 heather806

heather806

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

These are some great stories!! I've had quite a laugh. Thank you so much for sharing.

:lol:

I yelped in the grocery aisle the other day. I was looking at a multivitamin's ingredients and the word "wheat" jumped out at me. I yelped and put that bottle back so fast you would have thought it was a hot potato. The woman a few feet away looked at me like I was insane. :lol:

But seriously, wheat in a freakin' multi-vitamin? Why!? lol

#19 Finally@45

Finally@45

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Gelatin! Funny!

No matter how hard you annunciate, someone will still think you're saying "glucose."

Me: I tried a gluten-free diet for a few weeks and then ate a cookie.... threw up and had horrible diarrhea....sick for days. I think I need a celiac test.

Nurse: What?

Me: You know, when people have to be on a gluten-free diet...

Nurse: Oh you want your blood sugar tested?!

Me: [Trying REALLY hard not be frustrated because at that point I was positive I had it, but needed an understanding ear from the doctor's office; I was absolutely miserable.] No, no, I'm saying, "gluten" not "glucose." If you tell the doctor I need a Celiac test, she'll know what I'm talking about.

Nurse: How do you spell that?

Me: C-E-L-I-A-C

Nurse: Spell that again.

Me: C-E-L-I-A-C

Nurse: Ok, I'll tell the doctor.

In the end, I did get a test and was officially diagnosed,and referred to a gastroenterologist, but that first interaction with the nurse always stayed with me.

Glad I can laugh about it NOW.
Celiac symptoms since childhood, with no diagnoses til age 45
Celiac diagnoses & went gluten free summer 2011
Severely fructose intolerant, primarily from corn, w/IBS June 2012

Celebrating each day of feeling GOOD.

#20 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

At a restaurant last month:

Me: Do you have a gluten-free menu by any chance?

Waitress: Uh, no I don't think so, lemme ask my manager. <comes back> Sorry, he said we don't. But I can assure you that we don't use horse hooves in anything we make."

Me: uhh...horse hooves?

Waitress: I know gluten is made of horse's hooves...you know like in Jello. My friend is a vegetarian and she won't eat Jello.

Me: Ohhhhh! <Laughing way too hard for a second or two> You mean gelatin...

We then had a brief discussion of what gluten is and isn't in. lol She couldn't have been older than 18 or 19.

Oh wow I think I just almost peed my pants!!!! I'm picturing a hoof on a menu with an X though it and seeing someone make a sigh of relief after reading it!!!

A couple weeks ago I went to Cluck-U chicken with my fiance because he had a craving for chicken wings. I was hungry but didnt plan on eating anything obviously because that place is over run by gluten. My fiance, feeling bad that I couldn't eat, asked the very young, naive girl at the counter if there was anything grilled and not breaded on the menu. He even asked about separate cooking areas. (I didn't care what they said, I wouldn't have eaten anything anyway) Of course she asked why and he explained that I can't have gluten and then did an abbreviated version of what gluten was.

Girl: (with a look of horror) "Oh my god honey, you poor thing! What DO you eat then???"

Fiance: (Jumping in because he KNEW where this was gonna go) "Oh she eats grilled chicken, steak, vegetables, nuts, and a lot of other things...."

Girl: "I feel so bad!! Here sweetie, let me go grab you an bowl of macaroni and cheese, on the house..."

I was yanked out of there so fast.... :)

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

I went to Cluck-U chicken with my fiance

wait a second....there's an actual place called CLUCK U chicken??

:lol: :lol:

brilliant

And your fiance sounds like a "keeper"! best wishes.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 Finally@45

Finally@45

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

(I didn't care what they said, I wouldn't have eaten anything anyway)

Correct, Cluck U Chicken, just like pizza joints and bakeries, aren't worth the effort. You're sure to get a joke to share within 30 seconds of trying to order.

On the other hand, I went to a nice hot wing bar once that doesn't bread their wings and doesn't use corn products in their sauce. I must have seemed so happy and giddy that I bet the employees joked about ME. They could have put me in an ad and quadrupled their business.
Celiac symptoms since childhood, with no diagnoses til age 45
Celiac diagnoses & went gluten free summer 2011
Severely fructose intolerant, primarily from corn, w/IBS June 2012

Celebrating each day of feeling GOOD.

#23 heather806

heather806

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

brilliant

Ditto on that! Cluck U? hahaha

Now I want mac and cheese though! :)

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Ditto on that! Cluck U? hahaha

Now I want mac and cheese though! :)

:unsure: hmm, strangly, so do I.....

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#25 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

brilliant

Hahaha yes its called Cluck-U...since they're pretty standard around here I never realized how funny the name sounded until I saw all your reactions!!! And yes, he's a keeper - very protective over me with the gluten stuff and always tries to educate other people about Celiac...most of the time I dont even have to say a word! These people he talks to probably think that having Celiac also means being mute!!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: