41 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Lately I say things like, "When I was diagnosed with celiac disease...", even though I never got tested by a doctor. I am SELF diagnosed, but if I say that no one takes me seriously. The way I say it, I'm not lying exactly, just heading off the misconceptions.

Brilliant :)

You are exactly whom I thought of when I read his ridiculous rant. There are many folks like you with no doubt that gluten is the root of their health problems. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck is it faking being a duck? I think not.

Speaking as a mother of one diagnosed duckling along with a couple undiagnosed ducklings -- they are all gluten-free ducks and have improved health to show for it.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

http://www.science20.com/science_20/celiac_trendy_disease_rich_white_people-93422">

<font size="-1">Unfortunately, some people really do have <b>Celiac</b> disease, an actual immune disorder - gluten is like poison to them, not an 'I feel better if I don't eat a bagel' issue. Those sufferers are not the laughable 1% suddenly claiming they have <b>Celiac</b>
href="http://news.google.c...ys1e34jvYw&url=
View the full article

Don't most of us agree that this article deserves no mention here at all?
Did it sneak in by pretending to be scientific via its hosting on a blog called Science2.0?
I'm thinking these 'Publications' posts are auto-generated, so its initial posting is a price paid for the convenience. But if something as ridiculous as this makes it through again, wouldn't we be better off if a mod or Scott edited out links to such articles? Nothing to learn there & no point in giving traffic to a nonsense site/article.
Or maybe it's just too late to delete it once ppl are commenting on it, I don't know. I see nearly all of the posts in the Publications section & now I'm ready to commend the many many posts w/OUT bs nonsense useless articles.
Surprised more haven't snuck through whatever path "Science"2.0 took.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#18 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Don't most of us agree that this article deserves no mention here at all?
Did it sneak in by pretending to be scientific via its hosting on a blog called Science2.0?
I'm thinking these 'Publications' posts are auto-generated, so its initial posting is a price paid for the convenience. But if something as ridiculous as this makes it through again, wouldn't we be better off if a mod or Scott edited out links to such articles? Nothing to learn there & no point in giving traffic to a nonsense site/article.
Or maybe it's just too late to delete it once ppl are commenting on it, I don't know. I see nearly all of the posts in the Publications section & now I'm ready to commend the many many posts w/OUT bs nonsense useless articles.
Surprised more haven't snuck through whatever path "Science"2.0 took.

If you wish to recommend a way to make this site better, why don't you PM Scott with your suggestions?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Moderators cannot edit out publications that are posted by admin.

I see ones like "Miley Cryus goes Gluten free" and think, yeah so?

This blog/article is making news all over twitter and the internet (according to the Gluten Dude today) and I think, is relevant to the celiac community. The "trendy" aspect is something we have to deal with, I'm afraid.

I suggest contacting Scott via PM with your concerns.

I suspect this guy is not the only one with a perverted idea of celiac, gluten intolerance and the so-called "trendiness" of a gluten-free diet in Hollywood.

I thought this article was worthy of comment. That's why I made one.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

I initially thought this guy's article wasn't worthy of a response, but then I read the first few comments where he was slamming those offering actual facts regarding Celiac.

I commented a few times because the more I thought about it, the more irritated I became that someone with zero experience regarding Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance may read and believe this garbage spinning around in hyperspace.

Should someone stumble upon his article now they have an opportunity to learn actual facts regarding Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance posted in the comments section.

That is the best we can do - as the idiots that post similar crap are not likely to change their opinion, at least their readers have the opportunity to decide for themselves if accurate information is added to the post.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#21 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hey I'm just saying there have been thousands of similarly moronic, useless articles about gluten-free on all sorts of blogs that WEREN'T given the publicity of a post here.
Why this one?

My googling of "science 2.0" & gluten doesn't support the idea that this article is making news all over the internet.

As far as my starting w/ a PM to Scott first instead of asking the forum community whether they agree w/ me, I'm not sure I understand the downside. If the majority of the community WANTS the Publications section to include inane misguidedly-political links, I'd accept it.
It's not like I'd be expecting Scott to act on my sole concerns in the first place. In contrast, the forum community's thoughts on the matter would be an actual factor.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Gotta ski?...amen ;)

Tom,

I am not surprised that you disagree with anything I say. That's what always happens. So be it.

From the lack of responses to the number of publications that ARE posted on a daily basis, I would say that the majority of the members here do not read many of the publications as they are too busy, too sick or too busy still figuring out why they are sick.

Those of us who responded to this one --just felt like it.

If you have a problem with the article, just disregard it ---or take it up with Scott.

It's not the "Mods' job" to stop articles coming in.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#23 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

I think this is just one of those people who like to argue for fun. Correlating gluten problems with political leanings is just so silly it appears to be meant to incite arguments. I don't really get it but these people are on the internet. Sometimes they come on here. I remember two that openly admitted they were here because they liked to argue. Next week the guy will be saying kids have diabetes because there mothers ate too many sweets while pregnant and voting for a liberal! :o

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#24 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hey I'm just saying there have been thousands of similarly moronic, useless articles about gluten-free on all sorts of blogs that WEREN'T given the publicity of a post here.
Why this one?

My googling of "science 2.0" & gluten doesn't support the idea that this article is making news all over the internet.

As far as my starting w/ a PM to Scott first instead of asking the forum community whether they agree w/ me, I'm not sure I understand the downside. If the majority of the community WANTS the Publications section to include inane misguidedly-political links, I'd accept it.
It's not like I'd be expecting Scott to act on my sole concerns in the first place. In contrast, the forum community's thoughts on the matter would be an actual factor.

I'm saying that if you have a problem with the "moronic, useless articles" that appear here, and you really want to improve the site, you would discuss this with the person who is in charge of what goes on this forum site.

santa-dance.gif

#25 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Should someone stumble upon his article now they have an opportunity to learn actual facts regarding Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance posted in the comments section.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but is it saying that the comments section there only has some fact-based commenters because of the link in this thread here?
That seems unlikely.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#26 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

I'm saying that if you have a problem with the "moronic, useless articles" that appear here, and you really want to improve the site, you would discuss this with the person who is in charge of what goes on this forum site.

There's the misunderstanding again. I'm not at all looking to press for changes that I alone believe would benefit everyone. I'd like that IF everyone (well, most everyone) wanted a change, it'd be considered. 1st step has to be raising the question.

BTW, I don't appreciate the disingenous misuse of my "moronic, useless articles" phrase as if it applied to anything here. I was quite obviously referring to articles throughout the internet which were NOT linked to.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#27 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear with regard to my thoughts regarding Tom's proposal that Scott not post links to certain types of information.

I originally thought a link for the "Science 2.0" blog/article should not have a link posted on this site.

Upon more thought - I now believe that it is good for those within the Celiac Community to be aware of false information regarding Celiac Disease being posted on the net. It provides the opportunity to add facts to the conversation, rather than letting the false blogs/articles stand alone.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#28 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

There's the misunderstanding again. I'm not at all looking to press for changes that I alone believe would benefit everyone. I'd like that IF everyone (well, most everyone) wanted a change, it'd be considered. 1st step has to be raising the question.

BTW, I don't appreciate the disingenous misuse of my "moronic, useless articles" phrase as if it applied to anything here. I was quite obviously referring to articles throughout the internet which were NOT linked to.

what I'm am trying to suggest to you is that : if you have issues with this website,, rather than make comments in a post that a mod should do somethng, offer to help this be a better place. Talk to the person who makes the rules & purchases the press clipping service and offer to help.

I'm done arguing for tonight.

santa-dance.gif

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Then you should ask.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

I now believe that it is good for those within the Celiac Community to be aware of false information regarding Celiac Disease being posted on the net. It provides the opportunity to add facts to the conversation, rather than letting the false blogs/articles stand alone.

Makes sense to me.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: