16 replies to this topic

#1 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Did I hear something bad about shell fish? Is it bad? What about shrimp?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Not sure what you are asking.

There are people who are allergic to shellfish, Celiac or not, and that is really bad.

If your asking about gluten, as long as they aren't cooked with a breading or wheaty soy sauce or something with gluten, they are fine. I eat shrimp often.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

If you are not allergic or intolerant shellfish are great.

I am fine with shrimp, but have developed a severe intolerance of crab and lobster that causes breathing problems. Crazy -- the skin on my hands had a severe itching reaction to crab and lobster my entire life, but up until very recently I could eat the meat just fine as long as my hubby took care of the shells for me.

If you were eating shellfish before you went gluten-free, I'd say keep it in your diet.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

In addition to celiac disease, I have a serious allergy to shellfish. As far as I know, there is no connection between the two.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Some imitation crab meat is not gluten free. Shell fish that is actual shell fish, as it was pulled from the sea, should be safe but as was mentioned some people are sensitive to shell fish even without a gluten issue.
If you have DH the iodine levels may cause a DH flare until you are well healed.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Not sure, but you might be hearing about the iodine level and a concern for people with DH. If you don't have DH, no worries. If you do have DH, it might or might be a worry. I had DH and the iodine never bothered me.

richard

#7 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

Not sure, but you might be hearing about the iodine level and a concern for people with DH. If you don't have DH, no worries. If you do have DH, it might or might be a worry. I had DH and the iodine never bothered me.

richard

What is DH ?

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Bossley, DH is a skin rash that some celiacs get. It is extremely itchy and if you had it you would know it!

Now, I'm going to talk to you like a Dutch Uncle (Aunt?) When I first came to this site I read just about every thread so I could educate myself. While we love to answer questions and help people, I think you could help yourself a lot by spending some time reading as much as you can here. This is absolutely the most informative site on the web when it comes to celiac and you could learn SO much by just reading about other's experiences. THEN you will have more questions no doubt, and we are here to answer them for you. But I suggest you read read read, even if the thread title looks like it doesn't apply to you.

For example, I don't even have kids, but I read the threads about kids anyway and learned about different symptoms, testing, and SOLUTIONS to some of my own problems.

Besides, you'll get to know the people here better like I have, and you will make some life-long friends like I have. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

The skin rash associated with Celiac Disease is called Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH).

Here is a section dedicated to DH:

http://www.celiac.co...-herpetiformis/

There are several folks that are very knowledgeable of DH on this forum so if you've had skin issues they'd be able to answer your specific questions better than I.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

I cannot tolerate large doses of shellfish, either. High histamine response and burning sensations in my skin.

Oddly, this did not show up on any allergy testing that was done.

I am guessing it's more of an intolerance rather than a true allergy? Who knows.

In any case, it happened AFTER my diagnosis and going gluten-free.

Maybe I'll be able to try it again down the road.

Missing the lobster and shrimp. :(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Bossley, DH is a skin rash that some celiacs get. It is extremely itchy and if you had it you would know it!

Now, I'm going to talk to you like a Dutch Uncle (Aunt?) When I first came to this site I read just about every thread so I could educate myself. While we love to answer questions and help people, I think you could help yourself a lot by spending some time reading as much as you can here. This is absolutely the most informative site on the web when it comes to celiac and you could learn SO much by just reading about other's experiences. THEN you will have more questions no doubt, and we are here to answer them for you. But I suggest you read read read, even if the thread title looks like it doesn't apply to you.

For example, I don't even have kids, but I read the threads about kids anyway and learned about different symptoms, testing, and SOLUTIONS to some of my own problems.

Besides, you'll get to know the people here better like I have, and you will make some life-long friends like I have. :)

Sorry to have asked a question before doing my reading.

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

No need to apologize at all. It is a good idea to read as much as you can here but not everyone has the time to do a lot of it. Never be afraid to ask any question you need to.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

Nothing to be sorry about, hon!

I am sure Barty just meant IN ADDITION to asking questions, don't forget to read as much as you can.

We have all been in your shoes. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

No need to apologize at all. It is a good idea to read as much as you can here but not everyone has the time to do a lot of it. Never be afraid to ask any question you need to.

Thank you !!

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Exactly Bossley! I apologize for not expressing myself clearly. It's just that I can see and empathize with your suffering and because I found my answers here, I know that you could find answers to questions you don't even have yet. This site is like the encyclopedia of celiac. All of the answers are right here. We just need to go looking to find them.

PLEASE, don't let what I said ever stop you from asking questions! Lord knows I have asked more than my share and the patient, wonderful folks here have always provided good solid answers.

Forgive me? :huh:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: