Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Shell Fish?

17 posts in this topic

Did I hear something bad about shell fish? Is it bad? What about shrimp?

Not sure what you are asking.

There are people who are allergic to shellfish, Celiac or not, and that is really bad.

If your asking about gluten, as long as they aren't cooked with a breading or wheaty soy sauce or something with gluten, they are fine. I eat shrimp often.

If you are not allergic or intolerant shellfish are great.

I am fine with shrimp, but have developed a severe intolerance of crab and lobster that causes breathing problems. Crazy -- the skin on my hands had a severe itching reaction to crab and lobster my entire life, but up until very recently I could eat the meat just fine as long as my hubby took care of the shells for me.

If you were eating shellfish before you went gluten-free, I'd say keep it in your diet.

In addition to celiac disease, I have a serious allergy to shellfish. As far as I know, there is no connection between the two.

Some imitation crab meat is not gluten free. Shell fish that is actual shell fish, as it was pulled from the sea, should be safe but as was mentioned some people are sensitive to shell fish even without a gluten issue.

If you have DH the iodine levels may cause a DH flare until you are well healed.

Not sure, but you might be hearing about the iodine level and a concern for people with DH. If you don't have DH, no worries. If you do have DH, it might or might be a worry. I had DH and the iodine never bothered me.

richard

Not sure, but you might be hearing about the iodine level and a concern for people with DH. If you don't have DH, no worries. If you do have DH, it might or might be a worry. I had DH and the iodine never bothered me.

richard

What is DH ?

Bossley, DH is a skin rash that some celiacs get. It is extremely itchy and if you had it you would know it!

Now, I'm going to talk to you like a Dutch Uncle (Aunt?) When I first came to this site I read just about every thread so I could educate myself. While we love to answer questions and help people, I think you could help yourself a lot by spending some time reading as much as you can here. This is absolutely the most informative site on the web when it comes to celiac and you could learn SO much by just reading about other's experiences. THEN you will have more questions no doubt, and we are here to answer them for you. But I suggest you read read read, even if the thread title looks like it doesn't apply to you.

For example, I don't even have kids, but I read the threads about kids anyway and learned about different symptoms, testing, and SOLUTIONS to some of my own problems.

Besides, you'll get to know the people here better like I have, and you will make some life-long friends like I have. :)

The skin rash associated with Celiac Disease is called Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH).

Here is a section dedicated to DH:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum/26-dermatitis-herpetiformis/

There are several folks that are very knowledgeable of DH on this forum so if you've had skin issues they'd be able to answer your specific questions better than I.

I cannot tolerate large doses of shellfish, either. High histamine response and burning sensations in my skin.

Oddly, this did not show up on any allergy testing that was done.

I am guessing it's more of an intolerance rather than a true allergy? Who knows.

In any case, it happened AFTER my diagnosis and going gluten-free.

Maybe I'll be able to try it again down the road.

Missing the lobster and shrimp. :(

Bossley, DH is a skin rash that some celiacs get. It is extremely itchy and if you had it you would know it!

Now, I'm going to talk to you like a Dutch Uncle (Aunt?) When I first came to this site I read just about every thread so I could educate myself. While we love to answer questions and help people, I think you could help yourself a lot by spending some time reading as much as you can here. This is absolutely the most informative site on the web when it comes to celiac and you could learn SO much by just reading about other's experiences. THEN you will have more questions no doubt, and we are here to answer them for you. But I suggest you read read read, even if the thread title looks like it doesn't apply to you.

For example, I don't even have kids, but I read the threads about kids anyway and learned about different symptoms, testing, and SOLUTIONS to some of my own problems.

Besides, you'll get to know the people here better like I have, and you will make some life-long friends like I have. :)

Sorry to have asked a question before doing my reading.

No need to apologize at all. It is a good idea to read as much as you can here but not everyone has the time to do a lot of it. Never be afraid to ask any question you need to.

Nothing to be sorry about, hon!

I am sure Barty just meant IN ADDITION to asking questions, don't forget to read as much as you can.

We have all been in your shoes. :)

No need to apologize at all. It is a good idea to read as much as you can here but not everyone has the time to do a lot of it. Never be afraid to ask any question you need to.

Thank you !!

Exactly Bossley! I apologize for not expressing myself clearly. It's just that I can see and empathize with your suffering and because I found my answers here, I know that you could find answers to questions you don't even have yet. This site is like the encyclopedia of celiac. All of the answers are right here. We just need to go looking to find them.

PLEASE, don't let what I said ever stop you from asking questions! Lord knows I have asked more than my share and the patient, wonderful folks here have always provided good solid answers.

Forgive me? :huh:

Exactly Bossley! I apologize for not expressing myself clearly. It's just that I can see and empathize with your suffering and because I found my answers here, I know that you could find answers to questions you don't even have yet. This site is like the encyclopedia of celiac. All of the answers are right here. We just need to go looking to find them.

PLEASE, don't let what I said ever stop you from asking questions! Lord knows I have asked more than my share and the patient, wonderful folks here have always provided good solid answers.

Forgive me? :huh:

Thank you, I thought you were getting sick of my questions.

Bossley, I can't even imagine anyone on here becoming sick of your questions. Questions are a good thing...they provide information for others and even encourage others to ask questions. :)

I recently did hear something about shrimp...it was about shrimp being imported from other countries containing harmful chemicals, and shipments being rejected. As best as I got from what I have read is that it is not a new problem and has been going on for years but improvements have been being made. As for me, I am not concerned about it and will not be concerned until I hear something more specific.