Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Broke Hungry College Kid

12 posts in this topic

I'm in college, which means I don't have too much money and there are not a lot of gluten free options in college either. does anyone have any ideas for lunches that I can bring to school that wont be too expensive?

Also, I used to be a vegetarian for 10 years, so not too much or too heavy of meat please!

I'm so hungry.

Ads by Google:

I'm in college, which means I don't have too much money and there are not a lot of gluten free options in college either. does anyone have any ideas for lunches that I can bring to school that wont be too expensive?

Also, I used to be a vegetarian for 10 years, so not too much or too heavy of meat please!

I'm so hungry.

Hum...let's see. You could buy corn tortillas and roll up what every you choose, ie. meat, cheese, cucumbers, avocado, hummus, pb&j, egg salad, tuna salad, etc. Make some chex mix and add some dried fruit and nuts.

Carrots/fruit sticks with Jiff PB to go, cottage cheese and fruit, nuts and dried fruit are all good or make yourself a smoothie. Yoplait Yogurt and my new favorite, Rudi's Cinnamon Raisin Bread with cream cheese sandwich.

I also want to add that if you have a clinical diagnosis, your college should accommodate your needs. They either should offer you gluten free options or/and supply you with a dedicated area of the cafeteria where you can prepare your own meals. Please do look into that. :)

Rice stick noodles in broth or stock. Add veggies or meat. Like ramen, but gluten-free.

Salads are good choices - add what you like.

I could live on nachos. Tostitos, refrained beans, salsa, cheese, etc. yummo.

Not sure if any of these are helpful for you. They might help someone who stumbles on the thread.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/college/

You want bring along food so things that can go for a few hours without refrigeration in most weather & doesn't need cooking

Nuts

crackers with peanut butter, almond butter,etc

Corn or rice cakes (check for gluten-free) with "butters"

sandwich meat, sliced cheese, a baggie with lettuce or spinach, & corn or rice cakes

fruit

yogurt

rice salads - cold rice, veggies , mozarella and vinegarette salad dressing

Celery with Pb

Hum...let's see. You could buy corn tortillas and roll up what every you choose, ie. meat, cheese, cucumbers, avocado, hummus, pb&j, egg salad, tuna salad, etc. Make some chex mix and add some dried fruit and nuts.

Carrots/fruit sticks with Jiff PB to go, cottage cheese and fruit, nuts and dried fruit are all good or make yourself a smoothie. Yoplait Yogurt and my new favorite, Rudi's Cinnamon Raisin Bread with cream cheese sandwich.

I also want to add that if you have a clinical diagnosis, your college should accommodate your needs. They either should offer you gluten free options or/and supply you with a dedicated area of the cafeteria where you can prepare your own meals. Please do look into that. :)

My college does have a salad bar, but that gets old everyday. My high school used to prepare individual dishes for me, like gluten free pizza and sandwiches, though. Thanks for the tips, those things actually sound good!

Rice stick noodles in broth or stock. Add veggies or meat. Like ramen, but gluten-free.

Salads are good choices - add what you like.

I could live on nachos. Tostitos, refrained beans, salsa, cheese, etc. yummo.

Thanks! I had packages of rice noodles stored away and nothing to do with them until now!

Not sure if any of these are helpful for you. They might help someone who stumbles on the thread.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/college/

You want bring along food so things that can go for a few hours without refrigeration in most weather & doesn't need cooking

Nuts

crackers with peanut butter, almond butter,etc

Corn or rice cakes (check for gluten-free) with "butters"

sandwich meat, sliced cheese, a baggie with lettuce or spinach, & corn or rice cakes

fruit

yogurt

rice salads - cold rice, veggies , mozarella and vinegarette salad dressing

Celery with Pb

thank you for your help! Even being diagnosed last February, i'm still new at this.

If you are living in a catered residence, whatever you do, please don't make the same mistake as me:

Your school really is required by law to offer you food. Did you pay for a contract, or are you living off campus? It's not okay to have salad forever. My son is a freshman, in his room he has: peanut butter,gluten-free pretzels, minute rice, raisins, yogurt, almonds, nachos, pasta (we freeze cooked pasta in single-serve microwaveable bowls), sauce (for the pasta), cheese, UDIs bagels (but those are expensive)

Anyway. Go talk to food service at your school. Go. Now. I have visions of you starving :)

First talk to the disability office then to the food services. It should make things a bit easier.

I'm a grad student (but we live in dorms and have to be on meal plans too), and I am experiencing the same thing. I have had spinach and carrots and a piece of chicken from the salad bar for the past three days. I am so hungry I am about to eat my hand. My dining people try to help but they don't really understand everything that has gluten in it. I'm making a list of things that are a gluten no-no and hoping they can step their game up!

I'm a grad student (but we live in dorms and have to be on meal plans too), and I am experiencing the same thing. I have had spinach and carrots and a piece of chicken from the salad bar for the past three days. I am so hungry I am about to eat my hand. My dining people try to help but they don't really understand everything that has gluten in it. I'm making a list of things that are a gluten no-no and hoping they can step their game up!

IF you are in the U.S. celiac falls under the ADA (americans with disability act) and a school has to accomodate you.

Get yourself a rice cooker and a crock pot. IF you have a fridge you can store things there and cook in your room if you have to. THere are corn tortillas for wraps and whatnot.

I'm also a college student living on a limited budget. We have breakfast and lunch provided for us four days a week. On occasion someone will come and cook for us. There are 13 of us. I attend a leadership internship so we are a small group. At first all I could eat was salad, salad, and more salad. They finally bought some gluten free bread so I can have the option of a sandwich for lunch. There has still been times where I have to worry about cross contamination. For dinner, I usually eat rice and vegetables. That gets old after a while. I bought a bag of gluten free pasta and added spaghetti sauce to it. I eat eggs for breakfast every morning. Rice cakes with peanut butter are good also. Corn tortillas are cheap. Wrapping lettuce with some kind of meat or rice inside of them are a good option.

I pretty much get by on sandwhiches and corn tortillas wraps.