2 replies to this topic

#1 hpfan2016

hpfan2016

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

The last time I accidentally ingested gluten, I had accidentally licked my finger after touching a twizzler (realized almost too late it had gluten in it). Within 20 minutes I was showing typical "glutened" symptoms for me - comparable to food poisoning. About 24 hours later I caught my reflection in the bathroom mirror as I was getting ready to bathe. I was shocked to say the least. You could see all my ribs, my hip bones were clearly visible. I looked like I was anorexic. Stepped on the scale and yup - I was down 10lbs (125 to 115) overnight. I went down another 5lbs before recovering from my symptoms, but the weight hasn't quite returned yet (sticking around 120 when normal is between 125 and 130 - but it's only been about 3 weeks).

Has anyone else experienced this when being glutened? It's terrifying, to say the least. I just want to know I'm not alone... :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Persei V.

Persei V.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Excuse me, but WHAT? :blink:

10 lbs in 24 hours?

Ok, moving on...

Usually one day or two after I am glutened, I lose weight. My clothes get too large, my hip bones stick out more and so forth. I recover the weight, but I haven't recovered the weight of the big boom (as I call the month I've spent undereating because I didn't know I had GI, I had 97 pounds). So I'm 94 pounds now. Or so I hope, because a few days ago I accidentaly ingested gluten and I might be down to 92.

Anyhow, no, you are not alone. I do lose weight, and it's scary because I've been constantly underweight and people always have mistaken for anorexic. Lies, I love to eat :P

Just bake to yourself a nice gluten-free treat and make sure you are eating well and everything is going to be alright. Although my doctor suggested I put as much sugar in my diet as possible -- a spoonful of honey at least once a day helped me a lot.
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#3 hpfan2016

hpfan2016

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

I think I lost so much weight because EVERYTHING came out in that time period, even water. It was horrible. I pretty much set up camp in the bathroom. I've been glutened twice since writing that post (within 36 hours of each other) and this hasn't been nearly as bad, though I went down another 5 lbs last check. At least I can keep down liquids, but my gosh does my stomach hurt. I never want to see my ribs sticking out like that again either... My bf could wrap his hands around my waist and his fingers touched. O.o

You know it's funny...people always used to comment on how they wished they could eat whatever and as much as I could without gaining weight. Once they found out it was from malnutrition from celiacs they weren't so eager to be like me lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: