Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Weight Loss After Accidental Ingestion

3 posts in this topic

The last time I accidentally ingested gluten, I had accidentally licked my finger after touching a twizzler (realized almost too late it had gluten in it). Within 20 minutes I was showing typical "glutened" symptoms for me - comparable to food poisoning. About 24 hours later I caught my reflection in the bathroom mirror as I was getting ready to bathe. I was shocked to say the least. You could see all my ribs, my hip bones were clearly visible. I looked like I was anorexic. Stepped on the scale and yup - I was down 10lbs (125 to 115) overnight. I went down another 5lbs before recovering from my symptoms, but the weight hasn't quite returned yet (sticking around 120 when normal is between 125 and 130 - but it's only been about 3 weeks).

Has anyone else experienced this when being glutened? It's terrifying, to say the least. I just want to know I'm not alone... :(

Ads by Google:

Excuse me, but WHAT? :blink:

10 lbs in 24 hours?

Ok, moving on...

Usually one day or two after I am glutened, I lose weight. My clothes get too large, my hip bones stick out more and so forth. I recover the weight, but I haven't recovered the weight of the big boom (as I call the month I've spent undereating because I didn't know I had GI, I had 97 pounds). So I'm 94 pounds now. Or so I hope, because a few days ago I accidentaly ingested gluten and I might be down to 92.

Anyhow, no, you are not alone. I do lose weight, and it's scary because I've been constantly underweight and people always have mistaken for anorexic. Lies, I love to eat :P

Just bake to yourself a nice gluten-free treat and make sure you are eating well and everything is going to be alright. Although my doctor suggested I put as much sugar in my diet as possible -- a spoonful of honey at least once a day helped me a lot.

I think I lost so much weight because EVERYTHING came out in that time period, even water. It was horrible. I pretty much set up camp in the bathroom. I've been glutened twice since writing that post (within 36 hours of each other) and this hasn't been nearly as bad, though I went down another 5 lbs last check. At least I can keep down liquids, but my gosh does my stomach hurt. I never want to see my ribs sticking out like that again either... My bf could wrap his hands around my waist and his fingers touched. O.o

You know it's funny...people always used to comment on how they wished they could eat whatever and as much as I could without gaining weight. Once they found out it was from malnutrition from celiacs they weren't so eager to be like me lol.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Probiotic Help
      We use Florajen 3 as well. Most pharmacies keep it behind the counter so be sure to ask.
    • 62 yr old woman...celiac?
      I have to agree with Gemini, you must not go gluten free until you've had an endoscopy with biopsies (first you get the blood work done, then you get your confirmation by a follow-up endoscopy), it's the reaction to the gluten that creates the antibodies' you won't get that reaction if you don't eat gluten. It might seem inconvenient, but in the long run it will be worth it.
    • Probiotic Help
      Hi Mom...I take Florajen 3.  It has worked really well for me.  It is kept refrigerated.  I have a hard time finding it where I live so I usually have to order it.
    • Awaiting Biopsy Results
      Hi monkeyloaf......with a positive tTg and EMA, that is a slam dunk for Celiac Disease. It doesn't matter that they are weakly positive, a positive is a positive with Celiac!  With a positive EMA, I am sure you will show damage on biopsy BUT if it happens that damage is patchy and they miss those spots, please do what you already stated and go strictly gluten-free.  You have Celiac!  Couple that with Type 1 diabetes and other relatives with Celiac, it is of the utmost importance  that you be gluten-free.  Your intuition is talking to you on this so these words you spoke are very smart!    I am sorry you have both AI diseases but with the right diet, you are going to be feeling so much better so hang in there!
    • Awaiting Biopsy Results
      I'm still awaiting the results of my biopsy. I have Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults, which is basically type 1 diabetes diagnosed as an adult. (I was 32.) I have second degree relatives with celiac, although, my mom and my sister have yet to be tested. My mom's side of the family has a variety of autoimmune issues. My tTg-IgA was weakly positive (7.5), my DGP IgA was weakly positive (26), and my EMA was positive. My GI MD said he could see some inflammation on my duodenum during my EGD. I desperately want an answer to the issues I've been having. My primary complaints have been fatigue and joint pain, so I hadn't really considered celiac, thinking my GI issues were due to exhaustion. I am thinking I may stay gluten-free regardless of the biopsy results. I've been feeling better since cutting out gluten immediately after my EGD. I also feel like my lab work, diabetes, and family history are enough to warrant caution. Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Nikki Buckley