8 replies to this topic

#1 Meatballman

Meatballman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

While at the store last week to get my refill of Redbridge beer I noticed something new. Estrella Damm Daura " Gluten Free" beer. It is labeled as real beer and is certified to have a gluten content below 6ppm. I picked up a four pack instead of my usual Redbridge. It tasted pretty good. Later that evening I had a horrible reaction. I brushed it off thinking maybe just a fluke. Well last evening I consumed the remaining two bottles. Same reaction. Guess it's the beer. I dont mean to trash the beer maker but I think even the small amount of gluten which remains may be too much for some to handle. Just a warning.
Positive bloodwork
Positive biopsy
Gluten Free 10/2010
At the end of the game the Pawn and the King are placed in the same box.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

It appears that in the US, beers made from barley or malr beverages, may not claim gluten free. It was explained somewhere (I'm looking for it but if someone else finds it first, great) that the test for gluten used for food doesn't work well in detecting the protein in barley.

From the Goverment agency in the US that regulates alcohol, a May 2012 ruling (page 5):

http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/2012-2.pdf

"were produced using wheat, barley, rye, or a crossbred hybrid of these grains, and were then processed, treated, or crafted to remove the gluten. TTB will allow use of the statement “Processed or Treated or Crafted to remove gluten,” together with a qualifying statement to inform consumers that: (1) the product was made from a grain that contains gluten; (2) there is currently no valid test to verify the gluten content of fermented products; and (3) the finished product may contain gluten. Because the current tests used to measure the gluten content of fermented products have not been scientifically validated, such statements may not include any reference to the level of gluten in the product. TTB believes that the qualifying statement is necessary to "

"Held, the term “gluten-free” is considered misleading when used in the labeling and advertising of alcohol beverages to describe an alcohol beverage product that is made with any amount of wheat, barley, rye, or a crossbred hybrid of these grains, or any ingredient derived from these grains."

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Here's the one I was looking for by Tom:

http://www.celiac.co...3348-beer-here/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

I posted on that other thread ---and I recall the controversy around this beer.

Meatballman, it's not for us.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 Meatballman

Meatballman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Thanks guys. I just got soo excited when I saw a new beer labeled Gluten Free. Should have checked the board first. Oh well. Should be some kind of law preventing them from labeling it as such.
Positive bloodwork
Positive biopsy
Gluten Free 10/2010
At the end of the game the Pawn and the King are placed in the same box.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Thanks guys. I just got soo excited when I saw a new beer labeled Gluten Free. Should have checked the board first. Oh well. Should be some kind of law preventing them from labeling it as such.

Actually there is a law. I posted it. One of our biggest stores here said they didn't know about it. I'm trying to decide if I should give them a copy of the ruling or just try to report it to the ATF.

santa-dance.gif

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

All I could find is from 2010,which mentions the beer you drank:

"In the United States, two regulating agencies have authority over the booze category—the Alcohol and Tobacco, Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The TTB doesn’t allow beer manufacturers to put “health claims” like “gluten-free” on their labels. The FDA currently does.

So which agency regulates which beers? The TTB recognizes beer as only those malt beverages made with barley and hops. Thus, the only gluten-free beer it regulates is barley beer like Estrella Damm’s Daura de-glutenized beer, not beer made with gluten-free grains.

This poses a problem for consumers shopping for gluten-free beer. The TTB does not allow the gluten-free label to be slapped on bottles of Daura, despite the fact this beer currently tests to less than 6 ppm gluten.

Other gluten-free beer made with non-traditional beer-making grains like sorghum, millet, corn and rice are not regulated by the TTB because, again, they’re not considered true beer under the agency’s definition. Regulation of these “non-beers” thus falls to the FDA, which currently allows gluten-free labeling but doesn’t define what “gluten-free” actually means.

The FDA has proposed a standard of less than 20 ppm gluten. It’s expected to release final regulations on labeling gluten-free foods and beverages later this year. At that point, we can expect more labeling changes throughout the U.S. gluten-free marketplace, including on many brands of beer."

....which is the law Karen has posted.

The source for this information, though now outdated is:
http://www.livingwit...nza-2895-1.html

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 bridgeofsighs

bridgeofsighs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I made the same mistake with this beer. As well as Two Brother's Prairie Path Ale that is labeled gluten-free. Yep, its made with malted barley.
Diagnosed Celiac positive through blood tests: 1/03/11

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

I did that too! And up here in Canada it is labelled at gluten-free to 3ppm!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: