This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm A Grandmother!

CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Hi everyone! I'm a grandmom! My son welcomed his son on August 30! My thoughts beyond loving every minute of it. I'm wondering if the Celiac gene hit him, you know?

My children do not show signs and their DR said to wait for signs or symptoms before they are tested.

How many of you are concerned about passing the gene on? This baby boy is such a blessing and while holding him, I wondered silently...did I pass this on to you?

Anyone relate??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Congratulations to you! And, yes, I share your concerns--the genes, as well as the triggering, of celiac always worry me.

I have to mention, though, that I believe your doctor is wrong not to test your children for celiac. Many celiacs are asymptomatic, but damage could still be occurring to their villi. By the time the damage is done, some of it may be irreversible (such as neurological damage). Your children SHOULD be tested regardless of whether or not they show symptoms. With regard to your new grandbaby, maybe he will escape the legacy. However, with the celiac vaccine on the horizon, he will probably have little to worry about.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Yes, I can relate, but probably not in the fashion you expect.

Congratulations on having a Grandson! How cool is that?!!? Yay!

I am childless but find genetics fascinating.

I'm the youngest of 5 children with my mother being the gene carrier. I suspect that her father had celiac disease but that's never been confirmed. My maternal grandfather had 9 children and 40 grandchildren. My paternal grandparents had 8 children and 38 grandchildren.

None of my siblings have celiac disease, and neither have my cousins, nieces, nephews, aunts or uncles on the maternal side. I had 1 maternal cousin that died prematurely from MS, and 1 aunt that died in her 70's but she drank like a fish and never treated her breast cancer. (Big hx of breast cancer on the maternal side.)

On the paternal side, I had an aunt die of leukemia in her 30's, but the rest of my father's siblings lived long lives. Dad died at age 58 from lung cancer, but he was a heavy smoker.

I'm in my 50's. My mother lived until she was 87.

If I were in your shoes, I'd understand the worry. Mom felt horrible that I inherited this from her, but it didn't develop until I was in my 50's. I know a dietician that has had celiac disease since she was a child. She's in her 50's.

Anyway, there have been similar life expectancies on both sides of the family tree.

You'll be watching out for him and so will your DS and DIL. Enjoy the little miracle, and don't worry, that never helps. Think about buying him cowboy boots or a shovel, all those things boys love, instead. Congrats! Yippee!

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Thanks! :) I did want my children tested, my daughter is all for it, but my son does not want to. They both saw what I had to go through and how sick I became. I'm pushing for them to go. They will all be living with me and eating some gluten-free because that is all I cook. However, if tested, they eat enough gluten outside the home to count. I lost both my parents and all grandparents, so I won't know which side I recieved this gene. None of my family members from either side has Celiac. I have 4 siblings and they are neg for celiac. I do have a sister with lupus.

I'm loving being a grandmother..he is so beautiful and we are so blessed!

Gemme Rookie

Hi everyone! I'm a grandmom! My son welcomed his son on August 30! My thoughts beyond loving every minute of it. I'm wondering if the Celiac gene hit him, you know?

My children do not show signs and their DR said to wait for signs or symptoms before they are tested.

How many of you are concerned about passing the gene on? This baby boy is such a blessing and while holding him, I wondered silently...did I pass this on to you?

Anyone relate??

Congratulations on having a Grandson! Feel Bleesed

I can understand your worry, I have two G/Children.

It won't be long soon we will have medicines for Celiac,more over once we know the problem it's easy to tackle, we must feel blessed we know, it took me 18 years of pain to know I am celiac.

Don't worry enjoy the little master, and as "Marilyn R" said Think about buying him cowboy boots or a shovel, all those things boys love, instead.smile.gif

nvsmom Community Regular

Congratulations! My mom was shocked how wonderful having grandchildren is. She says she loves them like her own children but has the benefit of having to do less work for them. ;) LOL

Although autoimmune diseseases are more commonly found to run in families, it's not a sure thing. On my mother's side, I have a cousin with celiac and another with RA. On my dad's side, my grandma had thyroid problems, and her sister was celiac. My parents appear to be(have been) fine, and my children tested negative too.

Just remember it's not a sure thing, but if there are problems you'll be there to help recognize them sooner so he can stay healthier.

Congrats again.

cap6 Enthusiast

Congratulations! Grandchildren are so special. I have four and what amazes me is that the two oldest (16 & 19) still like to "hang" with us. :) Cuddle up grandma and enjoy!!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived