4 replies to this topic

#1 nicolespeanut

nicolespeanut

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:36 AM

For many years I have suffered from terrible stomach aches after eating certain meals and last summer pinpointed that the cause is Durum Semolina. I can have one bite of the stuff and shortly afterwards I will have the worst stomach pains. I can eat regular pasta with no obvious problems. Whole wheat pasta is also a problem but perhaps this too is made from Durum Semolina. This was one of the reasons why I tested for celiac disease. My blood test were negative but enterolab suggested severe gluten sensitivity and casein sensitivity. Just curious to know if anyone else found this particular style of pasta painful before going gluten-free. Or am I just as crazy as my dr probably thinks?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:02 AM

durum semolina is regular wheat. it just refers to the exact sub species and way in which it is milled.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 nicolespeanut

nicolespeanut

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:01 PM

I just read that it is a hard spring wheat with a high gluten content. I guess it is enough gluten for me to feel ill immediately unlike semolina which does not. Crazy.

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:31 PM

Either way, if you are gluten sensitive/intolerant or early celiac, any form of gluten grain is going to cause damage in your intestines, whether or not you have pain or other symptoms. You should probably give up all the gluten pastas. I like the brown rice pastas by Tinkyada. They have the best texture.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 mysterypain

mysterypain

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:01 AM

I have had trouble with this type of pasta for years. I get severe pain within minutes of eating it. I always thought it was the sauce but it turned out to be the pasta. I was tested for celiac but the blood work came back negative, didn't stop me from going gluten-free.....you couldn't pay me to eat gluten products! Good luck to you on your search for wellness.

Monica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: