9 replies to this topic

#1 gottarun96

gottarun96

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

I have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. Now that I am gluten free, does that meen I will lose weight? Is the reason for weight loss because you are eliminatining some foods and hopefully replacing them with healthier ones? Or is it because of the bloating, and other effects of gluten? I have heard that if you have celiac and eat gluten, it can cause you to gain weight.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I lost almost 15 lbs in my first two months gluten-free, and that's with eating icecream or popcorn every night. :) I'm guessing that about 5lbs of that was the bloating but I have no way to know for sure.

My appetite has dropped off, so I'm sure I'm eating less but I don't feel like I am going without.

Poeple who weren't absorbing well often find they start to regain lost weight. It's another one of those things that seems to really vary form person to person.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

nvsmom is correct--this varies from person to person. You will definitely NOT lose weight if you replace gluten-containing processed foods with gluten-free processed foods (e.g., baked goods, breads, waffles, etc.). However, if you follow a diet that's primarily comprised of fresh, natural foods, you may see some weight loss. When beginning a gluten-free diet, many of us here on the Forum suggest that a fresh-food diet be followed for at least a few months so that cross-contamination can be avoided and so that the food you eat will be high in nutrients. Also, many people react poorly to the gums or alternative grains that are used in gluten-free cooking/baking, and this can slow your healing.

#4 Raining Skittles

Raining Skittles

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

Also, many people react poorly to the gums or alternative grains that are used in gluten-free cooking/baking, and this can slow your healing.

Thank you so much for this information! I wondered why some foods listed as 'certified gluten-free' were still making me feel sick. Now I know. I've been more cautious about my diet since discovering this - but I feel a little less crazy knowing I'm not alone. :)
Two abdominal surgeries in '74 removing 2/3 of small intestine.
IBS diagnosis in '93.
RA (mis)diagnosis in '97.
Pescetarian 2000-2009.
Gluten issue suspicion in Sep '11.
Dairy and gluten-free as of Aug '12.
Trying dairy again Nov '12.... we'll see....

#5 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

I was diagnosed in May and originally was replacing gluten foods with gluten free substitutes like gluten free pastas, muffins, cookies, etc. I was having some reactions to them so I decided to go whole foods and follow a primal diet. Since the end of May, I've lost 17 pounds of the stubborn weight that would NOT come off while I was still eating gluten. I've been eating high protein, high fat, and low carb....its really been working for me!!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#6 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

I have the opposite problem...I'm gaining weight, like, overnight! So frustrating. I eat sooooo clean and healthy, it's very frustrating.
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#7 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm at almost five months gluten free, and the weight loss has been sporadic. The first week I lost about 8lbs, which was probably bloat. Then I started eating lots of those gluten-free substitutes and gained some weight back, so I cut them out again. After a few months of healing my voracious appetite went away, and I lost about 15lbs. The I got glutened and started to feel bad again, and my energy level is still recovering from that.

The 15lb loss was in part to new-found energy and extra trips to the gym.

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

I have the opposite problem...I'm gaining weight, like, overnight! So frustrating. I eat sooooo clean and healthy, it's very frustrating.

You've had your tsh levels checked and Hashimotos antibodies checked, right???
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

I actually called my doctors office yesterday to see what all they tested for - this started with a colonscopy that found colitis, and led to a blood test - needless to say, I wasn't real educated on anything until they called and said I without a doubt had celiacs. I'm waiting for a call back to see what all was tested. All I know is 2 weeks into being gluten free, not only am I gaining weight, but I'm having hell feeling even the slightest bit better!
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#10 NightOwl

NightOwl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

I actually called my doctors office yesterday to see what all they tested for - this started with a colonscopy that found colitis, and led to a blood test - needless to say, I wasn't real educated on anything until they called and said I without a doubt had celiacs. I'm waiting for a call back to see what all was tested. All I know is 2 weeks into being gluten free, not only am I gaining weight, but I'm having hell feeling even the slightest bit better!

Hi, one thing I learned over the years of my "playing" with eating gluten (because I've never been Dx'd) is that there comes a point when one doesn't feel well at all when stopping, to the contrary, the last 2 times I quit gluten (and dairy which makes my chronic nasal congestion worse) I couldn't understand why I was feeling SO ultra-fatigued and depressed. I learned here recently that it's due to "detox" and that can definitely last for several weeks, in my case the last time, probably because I have Adrenal Fatigue, I began going downhill after I stopped (in March), ending with a huge adrenal crash that started on 4/30 and for most of May I felt really bad.

Also, I usually lost weight quickly and rather effortlessly after stopping, but not this last time, it's going slower. In fact, when I went to the doctor at the beginning of May I'd ballooned to 160 lbs., about 15 lbs. more than weighed during the winter. I attribute that to the following: 1) I have Hashimoto's and my last indulgences must've increased my antibodies causing my TSH to go up again, to 9, the highest I've ever had measured, I also had a thyroiditis attack at the beginning of May. 2) My liver was affected, for many months I had not been secreting much bile and sometimes felt an ache on the upper right side of my abdomen, have had to take digestive enzymes w/ox bile (but a liquid liver/galbladder supplement and milk thistle have really helped). The bottom line is that a sluggish liver will prevent weight loss. 3) In July I finally felt well enough to want to exercise more but then I made the mistake of pushing myself harder than my body was ready for and I had a lesser adrenal crash that set me back some.

I began feeling discouraged until I realized that I'd abused my digestive system on/off for way too long and I cannot expect my body to bounce back in just a few months. Now my expectations for more significant improvement have stretched to a full year from when I stopped, and that because about a month ago I realized I'd eating a canned soup that had some wheat in it twice. If I get better and lose weight sooner, great, but if not at least I won't feel let down by expecting more than is realistic and I feel this is the way you need to think right now.

My best wishes to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: