2 replies to this topic

#1 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

If you are on a whole foods diet are flours out? (garbanzo bean,tapioca,sorghum flours)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Depends on how severe you want to make it. For a lot of people, yeah, pre-made flours are out. Others may simply buy the whole grains, roots, or legumes and make their own flours with a grinder - although I'd research trying to make tapioca from cassava. That needs to be prepared properly or it's poisonous.

If you are on a whole foods diet are flours out? (garbanzo bean,tapioca,sorghum flours)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 Sunny600

Sunny600

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

I honestly think that a person's diet can be whatever that person wants it to be. If you're interested in a whole foods diet, then you can move that direction without getting too extreme. People usually can make more lasting changes gradually than going whole hog throwing out everything they,ve ever eaten, and doing something completely different. Except for gluten, of course. That had to be all at once.

Since I have stopped eating gluten (6 months now), I have eaten way way less things made with any kind of flour, mostly because I am not eating breads. But I would hate to think I could NEVER have a baked good again. I've made cupcakes a few times, a gluten-free carrot cake for one son's birthday, and a gluten-free apple pie for my other son's birthday, and my spouse and I eat whole-grain gluten-free pancakes sometimes on the weekends, and that all is very nice. I personally am not very interested in eating things made with various starches and gums that gluten-free baked recipes are full of, and those certainly wouldn't be considered whole foods.

But I guess I'm not a radical anything.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: